• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GreyState

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2017
    Ft Wayne
    I did a quick search and came up spades on any info here on the new Virtus, so I figured I post some initial impresions (and pics) of my Patrol rifle that I picked up this morning. I'll be taking it out tomorrow morning and sending the first lead through it - I'll post back.

Inital thoughts (inline with others):

Fit and finish is amazing..really a beautiful rifle. Cerakoting and machining are flawless.

Balance after mounting an optic and loading a mag is pretty near darn perfect for me. Love the narrow profile of the stock as it sits in my shoulder pocket - can't wait to see if it feels as good as others have reported.

Reads a lot like a more modern looking SCAR to me with the higher bore access, due to the piston, and the mismatched FDE.

FDE is a pretty hard color to photograph, but I think I did a pretty good job for you all to se that it's not a true FDE. It's actually the new mil spec Coyote Brown. I have a few of the new colored PMAGs that have been adopted by the USMC and you can see how it matches the Cerakoting perfectly, while the FDE is a little "greener"

My only initial gripe is that for a "modular" system, there are no numbers on the pic slots. I really appreciate having those for noting configs for quick swaps.

Looks SO cool...anyways enjoy the pics! I'll report back on the maiden voyage.

virtus-11.jpg

virtus-2.jpg

virtus-3.jpg

virtus-4.jpg

virtus-5.jpg

virtus-6.jpg

virtus-7.jpg

virtus-8.jpg

virtus-9.jpg

virtus-10.jpg

Attachments

• virtus-2.jpg
      virtus-2.jpg
      84 KB · Views: 2
    • virtus-7.jpg
      virtus-7.jpg
      63.9 KB · Views: 4

JBP239

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2016
    Danville
    Looks great, be sure to report back after going to the range. I've been looking at these for awhile but don't know anyone that has one.

GreyState

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2017
    Ft Wayne
    Hey all,

Thanks for the comments. I've been off shooting it the last two days collecting video and thoughts to do video review on it. I imagine I'm going to do one more day of shooting video & bullets tomorrow and start editing it. I'll say it's an amazing feeling shooter, and I feel I'm getting a pretty good picture of it, and will be sharing both the good, considerations, and opportunity for imorivements..over all though..solid.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Nice. I've been watching the Vertus... Its been giving me an itch that I hope I don't have to scratch... Something 'new' design wise in AR-Style...

Interesting but $$$. Saw one in 300 at Four Guns this week in Lafayette...

Looking forward to your reviews.

:ingo:

GreyState

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2017
    Ft Wayne
    Okay,

So, I'm STILL working on the review video. It started out meant to be a quickie..A week later, I've taken it out a total of 4 times, soon to be 5 tomorrow.

Each time I've taken it out, I've discovered new things that I want to capture and pass on. Still pluggin away on the "full" review with all of the details (recorded), but in the meantime

Initial impressions:

Day 1:

Pulled it out of the box and was impressed by the fit and finish, and the over look aesthetic. I shouldered it a couple of times, set up an optic, gave it an inititial cleaning, and a treatment of Militec (a practice I do to all of my firearms).

Day 2:

I took it out to the range on an unseasonably cold day last week. Rifle performed flawlessly, but, accuracy was hit or miss. Honestly I was a little disappointed with how it performed with M193 ball. Once I took it back to 100 yards to see how it grouped it was all over the place.

Total Round Count: 200
    FTF/FTE/ETC: 0

Day 3:

Took the opportunity to clean it, and make sure to re-torque all of the bolts. When I was doing this I noticed the #2 bolt that adds the "hug" to the modular barrel was looser than the #1 bolt. I backed them both off, reseated the barrel, and then re-torqued to 60 in/lbs each (per spec)

Day 4:

Went back to the same range with both M193 and 62 grain ball (not 855) and put down another 150 rounds. It grouped much better and then I decided to go to my "long" range on the next day to begin to really test it.

Total Round Count: 150

Day 5: Took it out and succesfully took it out to 600 yards in a 25 mile an hour x-wind. Had no issue hitting steel with a 3-9x40 (Leupold)

Total Round Count: 100

Day 6: Goal of this day was to see how accurate/precise I could run match ammo @ 100 yards. I mounted one of my "no compromise" optic setups (Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44 w/Spuhr mount) and proceeded to get crappy results at 100 yards after chrono'ing rounds on the spot and building my tables. Was pretty irritated. Then I shiftted gears and decided to see how it performed at distance again, knowing I had good luck the last tome out to 600. Took the same ammo, and shot a submoa (a little over a half minute - 4.5" @700 yards today.)

Total Round Count: 110

So..Short update.

- Build Quality: Awesome
    - Trigger: Good - 4 lb 14oz on average via my Lyman
    - Performance
    - w/cheap ball (M193) expect 3 MOA performance
    - w/ 62gr expect 1.75 MOA performance
    - w/top of the line match ammo (in 5.56) expect a little over MOA at 100, and sub-MOA the further out you go...it's an enigma.
    - Shootability, Ergo - probably my most comfortable shooting MSR/Tactical Carbine. Super low recoil impulse, even with the short stroke piston. This could become my favorite 5.56 semi.

To Date:

Total Round Count: 560

VIDEO of some of the 700 yard hits and grouping

https://youtu.be/eD7afrj_ioc

Sneak Peak of the Full Review Intro

https://youtu.be/hHC7Zqi0HSE

Last edited:

GreyState

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2017
    Ft Wayne
    Happy Holidays y'all!

I'm circling back on this for those who were interested in a deeper review and thoughts. I have so much info that I've gathered on this platform that I was overwhelmed, and ultimately decided to create a high level video (and playlist) first, and now I'll be doing a whole series on it.

Check it out on YouTube if you're interested and leave comments/feedback/questions either here or on YouTube. I'm still creating the "episodes"/sub-videos and would like to get as much "viewer"/peer input to make it as useful as possible.

Also, if you are interested I'd also suggest subscribing and liking the video to make 2A content more searchable on YouTube. More viewers and subscriptions make for easier business decisions for them!

PJ

https://youtu.be/XhnISfVrmyc

Top Bottom