• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • weedsnager

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 28, 2013
    Winfield, In
    Looking at a Thompson center compass in 308 win or 6.5 cr. It will be for nothing more than a range toy, can you guys give me some pros and cons to each caliber. Is the vortex crossfire 3-9 x 40 scope good enough for up to 150 yards or should I look for a bigger scope ?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Looking at a Thompson center compass in 308 win or 6.5 cr. It will be for nothing more than a range toy, can you guys give me some pros and cons to each caliber. Is the vortex crossfire 3-9 x 40 scope good enough for up to 150 yards or should I look for a bigger scope ?

6.5 cr would be my recommendation. Shoots flat to distances well beyond 150 yds, so it'll be GTG if you get the chance to shoot further. For work less than 500 yds, the crossfire will do fine.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I would go creedmoor in case your aspirations grow. At 150 yards any caliber will be fine, and you will be fine with that scope. I would not recommend that scope past 200 yards. Not that it's impossible, but there are much better options for an extra 50 bucks

weedsnager

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 28, 2013
    Winfield, In
    6.5 cr recoil a lot less then the 308 ?
    what size scope would be ideal for 150 yards ? Not trying to win any competitions, just wondering what the best size would be for seeing a target that far

Last edited:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

If it's a range toy and you're not regularly shooting past 500 yards for tiny groups, I'd opt for which ever round you can source most afford-ably.

And yes 9 power should be plenty fine for 150 yards lol. At that close of range you'd be fine with 4.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    what size scope would be ideal for 150 yards ? Not trying to win any competitions, just wondering what the best size would be for seeing a target that far

Ran a 6.5 a few weekends ago. Less recoil than my .308 and it was a joy to shoot.
    If I was building a range toy that would be my choice.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Unless it is a recoil consideration, 6.5 Creedmoor is basically wasted at any yardage that starts with 1.

Whereas the Creed round costs a lot,
    and whereas there are not cheap "plinking" rounds like NATO ball 7.62mm,
    and whereas there are not as many ammunition choices overall,
    and whereas the flatter trajectory is irrelevant on a KD range, and whereas barrel life will be lesser with the Creedmoor,
    therefore I find the 308 Winchester to be the best--if less fanboi--choice for this purpose.+

ETA: Oh yeah, and I don't know about that particular optic, but 9 power is enough for semi-precision to 900 yards, and really decent precision at probably 400-500, IF the glass quality is up to it.

-Nate

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

There really is no "ideal" size for 150 yards. Its about trade off's.

Trade quality for budget
    Trade high zoom group shooting ability for close shooting ability
    etc,etc

Basically all things being equal (like glass quality/reticle) you will shoot better groups at 150 yards with a 6-24x50, but it costs you the ability to shoot close range. Optics is all about picking the proper trade off's.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I own a few .308's and would not have any issue shooting 300 yards and expecting less than a 2" grouping on my best one (a bull barrel AR with a slightly more powerful scope than yours). At 150 yards either cartridge should with the Thompson less than a 2" group and probably better if you do your job. Nothing wrong with either choice but your will find there are a lot more choices in ammo and MUCH lower prices in the .308 cartridge for everyday shooting ~ if your purchasing Match ammo at $1.30 ~ $1.50 a cartridge the prices are close. The .308 has a lot more hunting bullet choices than the Creedmoor. At close range (300 yds or less) the .308 appears to be more accurate. Barrel life is estimated at 2,000 ~ 3,000 rounds for the Creedmoor, and 8,000 to 10,000 for the .308. The Creedmoor shoots a lighter faster bullet and is less subject to wind drift, but the .308 does have a verified sniper kill shot at 1,367 yd.

The Creedmoor is very close to my .243 in velocity, bullet drop, bullet weight, and accuracy, and ammo is close in cost, I personally prefer to target with my .308's (lower cost for ammo) great accuracy etc. than my .243 so I would opt for the .308 vs the Creedmore. However I do not find the recoil objectionable on either my Winchester .308 lever action or my LR .308, some may opt for the lighter recoil of the .243 or Creedmoor.

As far as a scope choice, my eyes have aged and I prefer a higher powered scope, in your case I would call Alan and discuss your wants and needs, as far as I am concerned you can't be the Vortex scopes for any use and Alan is quite able to help you determine the best scope for your use.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I already have a .22 and a .223

Then it sounds like you have your close range range toys, to me anyway. Hell you can stretch a .22 out a lot farther that most would think.

If you don't plan to hunt with it, might as well make a 308 or 6.5 a longer range system that you might not have, and if that's the case, definitely would not go compass route

Just my :twocents:

That being said, I've definitely bought guns that really had no advantage of another and just wanted them

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    So I ran the numbers using Winchester's Ballistic App: Sight-in: 100yd, crosswind 10mph, @500yds: 6.5 Creedmoor - Drop 54.6", Drift 15.6", 308 Win - Drop 53.8", Drift 19". So is the 6.5 really flatter shooting than the 308?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    There's a lot of different opinions on what a "range toy" can mean to a lot of different people. For some that means something they're going to be running and gunning doing many mag dumps with in a day blowing throw hundreds of rounds in an afternoon. For others it may mean once or twice a year that a guy gets out there with 2 or 3 boxes of ammo and barely puts 200 rounds through the gun in a year before eventually getting bored with it and posting it in the INGO classifieds for every dollar he has in it plus 20% because he touched it and now it's worth more.

If all you're going to do with it is blast at the range now and then, just get a 308. The ammo is cheaper and you're not doing anything fancy enough to merit more expensive ammo like hunting or precision.

If you just want a 6.5 because it's the trendy hipster skinny pants caliber of the day then go ahead. My only concern, is that while 6.5 CM is popular today the competitors are already looking at improving and replacing it. Once that happens and there's a new pretty caliber of the day around the factory ammo options may dry up for that caliber and the whole time you can buy 308 ammo in every dirt road mom and pops general store across the nation. Not saying that's good or bad, just that it's a factor to consider.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    So I ran the numbers using Winchester's Ballistic App: Sight-in: 100yd, crosswind 10mph, @500yds: 6.5 Creedmoor - Drop 54.6", Drift 15.6", 308 Win - Drop 53.8", Drift 19". So is the 6.5 really flatter shooting than the 308?

Those numbers are interesting.

@natdscott or vette - all the Highpower guys like it, what's your experience? I have none, I'm only repeating what I've been told.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I can't speak to the T/C but I have both cartridges and 6.5 creedmoor is quickly becoming a favorite.

If you don't reload, Match grade ammo is similar in price and 6.5 creedmoor, being the flavor of the day, just has a lot going for it right now.

6.5 creedmoor at 100 yards with match grade factory ammo in a Howa 1500 during break-in gave me groups under .75" (and scope by AA Optics). My experience is that I have to work much harder to get that out of 308.

I tend to buy more scope than I need and dial back. I do like the 6x24x50 that Andy refers to. Exception would be 100-200 yard hunting guns in which 3x9 IMHO is plenty. 4x16 is a nice compromise and happens to be on my most used 308....which is used for paper and hogs.

Target shooting tends to lead you to longer ranges. 150 is fun but once you are consistent you look for longer ranges. 600 yards plus and the creedmoor starts to outperform 308 or at least with less work.

Both rounds are capable though. Neither is a wrong choice.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg

@natdscott or vette - all the Highpower guys like it, what's your experience? I have none, I'm only repeating what I've been told.

Take into account the BC's of the 6.5 creedmoor versus 308 and (with hand loading) the creedmoor steps ahead and its softer shooting promotes repeatability over say 60 rounds of F-Class.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

6.5 creed is the new latest and greatest. Fact of the matter is, it really doesnt do anything the tried and true 260 doesnt with the exception of offering factory ammo (more than a couple kinds). 260 is one of my favorite cartridges of all time (its a 308 necked down, so you will never run out of brass) so the 6.5 creed being almost identical in terms of ballistics is one of my favorites aswell even though I will never own one.

I do agree with everyone else, the 6.5 doesnt really shine at 150 yards. It shines at 600+ yards.

weedsnager

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 28, 2013
    Winfield, In
    6.5 creed is the new latest and greatest. Fact of the matter is, it really doesnt do anything the tried and true 260 doesnt with the exception of offering factory ammo (more than a couple kinds). 260 is one of my favorite cartridges of all time (its a 308 necked down, so you will never run out of brass) so the 6.5 creed being almost identical in terms of ballistics is one of my favorites aswell even though I will never own one.

I do agree with everyone else, the 6.5 doesnt really shine at 150 yards. It shines at 600+ yards.

it shines in noticeable less recoil, correct ?

Top Bottom