• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I'm relatively new to magnified optics and am looking for suggestions, as well as pros/cons, on various 1-4x or 1-6x optics. I already have a 30mm QD Larue mount so the ACOG/VCOG are out. I've been looking at the VXR Patrol and the Accupoint, but figured you guys would be able to point me to some other quality optics that I'm not familiar with. I don't really have any price constraints as I'm willing to wait and save for the right optic. I'm also not dead set on that magnification so if you have something else in mind that's close I'd love to hear it. Thanks in advance!

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    Been an absolute fan of Trijicon's Accupower line. 1-4 and 1-8 options are great. Clear glass, FFP, robust, and great quality.

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    Vortex and if you have deeper pockets steiner makes at least a couple in that zoom range.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Reposted from the same topic with the same budget from the "accessories and gear" forum:

P4xi's go on sale at DSG frequently for $479 with a free throw lever. If you want a Steiner P4xi, wait for them to offer that price again.
    https://dsgarms.com/search?cid=0&q=p4xi

Vortex PST 1-6 is $700 at optics planet. They'll likely have another 12-15% off sale around black Friday and you'll be able to snag one for $600.

You can pick up a Sig Tango6 1-6 for $645 shipped to your door at the following link:
    https://cheapgunsonline.com/p-128753...24il-mrad.aspx

You can pick up a Trijicon Accupower anytime at Tactical Wholesalers for $650ish. They may have a Black Friday sale so you can get it right around $600.
    https://www.tacticalwholesalers.com/..._p_148502.html

Here's the Weaver 1-5 Tac that's made at LOW Japan for under $500.
    https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-tac...tte-black.html

If you're operating on a constrained budget, make your money go as far as it can. Don't buy at full price. Search out a deal and get the best you can with your money.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Reposted from the same topic with the same budget from the "accessories and gear" forum:

P4xi's go on sale at DSG frequently for $479 with a free throw lever. If you want a Steiner P4xi, wait for them to offer that price again.
    https://dsgarms.com/search?cid=0&q=p4xi

Vortex PST 1-6 is $700 at optics planet. They'll likely have another 12-15% off sale around black Friday and you'll be able to snag one for $600.

You can pick up a Sig Tango6 1-6 for $645 shipped to your door at the following link:
    https://cheapgunsonline.com/p-128753...24il-mrad.aspx

You can pick up a Trijicon Accupower anytime at Tactical Wholesalers for $650ish. They may have a Black Friday sale so you can get it right around $600.
    https://www.tacticalwholesalers.com/..._p_148502.html

Here's the Weaver 1-5 Tac that's made at LOW Japan for under $500.
    https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-tac...tte-black.html

If you're operating on a constrained budget, make your money go as far as it can. Don't buy at full price. Search out a deal and get the best you can with your money.

Like always, I will match all BF sales, as well as have my own.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    1-8x is great but only because 1-20x doesn't exist. Going with a 1-4 makes no sense when there are 1-8 scopes out there IMHO.

I have a trijicon 1-8x and it is great from 1-400 for me so far.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Not everyone has over a grand to spend on a quality 1-8x, which is what they cost. To say 1-4's have no place when there's 1-8x's on the market is absolutely not correct.

If the OP is truly willing to wait and save, a 1-8x may be a good fit, though. Personally, I'd still stick with a 1-6 for an AR unless you're spending Swarovski money. I like the Razor Gii 1-6 over the Accupower 1-8 in the low $1k range. But that's the beauty of an open markets and having options. It's a good day in age to have so many awesome options available.

1-8x is great but only because 1-20x doesn't exist. Going with a 1-4 makes no sense when there are 1-8 scopes out there IMHO.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

Ive got a couple AR's with 1-4's. The purpose for them is minute of man out to 400 yards. I accomplish that goal 100% with the 1-4, a more expensive 1-8 in this instance would not make me accomplish the goal 110%

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Vortex PST 1-6

love mine!

Depends on how you want/need to use it...
    Only time I've used the 6x on my 1-6 is to zero it. I like FOV, so I tend not to crank it up, especially when under the clock in a match, unless I really need to. Even when I was running a 1-4, I only used the 4x a couple times in a match. getting on target fast is usually more important to me than being an inch or two more accurate. I often like 1x per 100 yds... eg 3x @ 300 for a flash target...

ONLY reason I went from the 1-4 PST to the GenII 1-6 PST was for the actually daylight visible/usable red dot and less cluttered FOV around the scope... that it went from 4-6 top end wasn't a real selling point for me...

bigger multiplier ranges often have downsides... smaller eye boxes, shift in eye relief as increase power, etc.

ps, if the OP is looking to save some coin, a used Vortex PST 1-4 could be a great option. I used mine in 3-gun for several years. I decided to keep mine because it was too good to sell for how little others were selling them for... but if you're in the market to buy, might be something to look for...

2c

-rvb

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    love mine!

Depends on how you want/need to use it...
    Only time I've used the 6x on my 1-6 is to zero it. I like FOV, so I tend not to crank it up, especially when under the clock in a match, unless I really need to. Even when I was running a 1-4, I only used the 4x a couple times in a match. getting on target fast is usually more important to me than being an inch or two more accurate. I often like 1x per 100 yds... eg 3x @ 300 for a flash target...

ONLY reason I went from the 1-4 PST to the GenII 1-6 PST was for the actually daylight visible/usable red dot and less cluttered FOV around the scope... that it went from 4-6 top end wasn't a real selling point for me...

bigger multiplier ranges often have downsides... smaller eye boxes, shift in eye relief as increase power, etc.

ps, if the OP is looking to save some coin, a used Vortex PST 1-4 could be a great option. I used mine in 3-gun for several years. I decided to keep mine because it was too good to sell for how little others were selling them for... but if you're in the market to buy, might be something to look for...

2c

-rvb

Or watch my subforum for a BF sale on them.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Great info here guys. I have the same curiosity.

I'd like to hear more about what illuminated reticles folks like. The usable daylight red dot and cluttered FOV are interesting to my middle aged eyes. I've recently learned the hard way that I can see a 3MOA red dot fine in the bright sunlight, but the 6MOA is noticeably faster to pick up.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

I'd like to hear more about what illuminated reticles folks like. The usable daylight red dot and cluttered FOV are interesting to my middle aged eyes. I've recently learned the hard way that I can see a 3MOA red dot fine in the bright sunlight, but the 6MOA is noticeably faster to pick up.

there are "illuminated reticles" that claim because you can see a hint of red on the etched reticle during the day they call "daylight visible." These are basically useless other than low-light environments.

and then there are actually BRIGHT reticles, like the PST Razors and Gen2 PST, and the Leupold Fire Dots and Trijicon Accupoints. At 1x, these are almost as fast as red dots (just less forgiving on eye position). I think my PPST Gen2 is about as bright as my small Aimpoint at setting 9 or 10.

What I meant by cluttered FOV was more than just the reticle and what you see thrugh the scope, but also what you see around it. One thing I liked about the Razor/PSTG2s is you don't see all the dials/etc like you do on some scopes, just a thin line of the scope body. Gives it a real open feel, if that makes sense...

best bet is to try to look through them if you can before you buy...

-rvb

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Ive got a couple AR's with 1-4's. The purpose for them is minute of man out to 400 yards. I accomplish that goal 100% with the 1-4, a more expensive 1-8 in this instance would not make me accomplish the goal 110%

I'm only putting magnified optics on my rifles bigger than 5.56 at this point as I usually use a red dot out to 300 for MoM shooting. As the targets get into the 4,5,600 range the reticle is too small on a FFP scope to shoot on low power. After using an ACOG for a class I grew a distaste for 4x. It was almost too much under 200, wasn't enough at 400 and beyond. The narrow window of use for me keeps me away.

Not everyone has over a grand to spend on a quality 1-8x, which is what they cost. To say 1-4's have no place when there's 1-8x's on the market is absolutely not correct.

If the OP is truly willing to wait and save, a 1-8x may be a good fit, though. Personally, I'd still stick with a 1-6 for an AR unless you're spending Swarovski money. I like the Razor Gii 1-6 over the Accupower 1-8 in the low $1k range. But that's the beauty of an open markets and having options. It's a good day in age to have so many awesome options available.

The OP indicated they are willing to save, why not look at as an option?

If all is equal, why not have more magnification so long as it doesn't sacrifice weight, durability, or tracking?

If anyone here had a choice between 2 scopes that everything was the same, one a 1-4x and one a 1-8x, which one would you choose? Price, glass, reticle, tracking, weight, etc. etc. all the same.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    Apologies if I created a duplicate thread; I must've overlooked the thread on the other page. A lot of good feedback though and some points were brought up that I hadn't really considered. I'd like to hear more about Swarovski and Steiner from those that have used their products. While my exposure to magnified optics has been limited, I am at least somewhat familiar with Vortex, Burris, and Weaver. But I've never heard of Steiner and didn't realize Swarovski even made optics.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville

I recently purchased a Steiner PX4i 1-4 with a Steiner mount for a total of $485.00, I really like it and for the price and quality is hard to beat.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville

My Steiner PX4i has a great daylight visible illumination, it's small dot but I can get on target very fast and have no problem seen it even during a very bright day. The best is that it cost almost a third of other scpoes that have the same type of illumination.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    My Steiner PX4i has a great daylight visible illumination, it's small dot but I can get on target very fast and have no problem seen it even during a very bright day. The best is that it cost almost a third of other scpoes that have the same type of illumination.

pst gen2 1-6 is $700...

Top Bottom