• ...and so much more!
  • ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I am in the market for a high quality AR and I have kind of zeroed in on buying a Daniel Defense rifle. However, they seem to have so many models and configurations, I am a bit overwhelmed.

Can any one provide me with some guidance on which DD rifles are best? I am going to be using this rifle for carbine training, so it might be good if it was light weight. Otherwise, I only have a few requirements:

16" barrel
    5.56/2.23
    Slim, free float hand guard (no quad rails)
    Mid-length gas system (not a deal breaker if not)

I would also listen to anyone's advice on other brands of high quality ARs I should consider.

Thanks in advance for any advice or experience!

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    I have a DDM4 v7 that fits your criteria. It's top notch all around except for one nitpick - they used a polymer ejection port cover. But other than that it's excellent.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    IMHO Daniel Defence is only capable of making a dressed up mil spec rifle nothing special about them especially not warranting the prices they want. Plus they just laid off 50% of their workforce and are currently attempting to enforce the non-compete agreements on the employess they just fired. DD can go get bent after that, especially for a founder espousing christian values like Mr.Daniels does.....

Daniel Defense Lays Off Large Percentage of Its Workforce | RECOIL
    https://assetsforchrist.org/about-us.php

LWRC makes a much nicer rifle at a better price point and you can find the black version of the IC-Di right now for ~$1100 or so which meets all of your requirements of a 16.1 inch barrel, mid-length gas system and slim handguard. Mine is a consistent sub MOA shooter with all but the crappiest of ammo, only thing I did to mine was replace the trigger (the stock trigger on the IC-Di is basicaly the ALG Nickle Boron rig) and added a nice Trijicon 1-8 scope. I did a little write up on it if you are interested.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns/437737-lwrc-ic-di-depth-review.html

I have a Daniel Defence V11 Pro and it just sits in the safe since I purchased the IC-Di

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Colt 6720 for what you want. Save your money and spend extra on ammo, mags, and training.

It'll get you started off right. It'll last a lifetime. It'll run flawlessly. And lastly, you won't waste your money buying something fancy before you even know what you actually want.

If you want something more expensive, get a BCM ELW in whatever flavor you want. If you go this route, I'd recommend getting the lower with a Vltor A5 stock kit and Geissele SSA trigger from Grant at G&R. Then get the upper from Grant or direct from BCM.

Other option is to get a Larue Ultimate AR kit direct from Larue and assemble the rifle yourself. Get it with the PredatAR barrel. You'll be in under $1k, and it's absolutely top tier. You can assemble it yourself, or pay Larue $200 to assemble it for you.

Those are where I'd spend my money if I were you. The LWRC is a good option as well, but it's definitely heavier than what I think you're wanting. For carbine training, I MUCH prefer to have something with a lightweight or ELW type profile barrel that's a bit lighter.

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Look at BCM as well, especially since the new M-Lok is availability. The lightweight midlength with15” MLok rail is quite probably the perfect do everything carbine. The LWRC is very nice, but too many proprietary parts for my liking. The 6720 is a bit cheaper, and as stated can be outfitted with the cost savings.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yeah.....they really did a **** poor job with these layoffs. It sucks, but I get that companies have to lay off employees some times. But their execution was absolutely terrible. Pursuing non-compete agreements after you fire someone..... **** companies that do that. Not only do they take someone's job away, but then they tell them they can't continue to work in their chosen field. I get wanting non-compete clauses, and possibly enforcing them if an employee leaves of their own volition.....but what DD is doing is enough for me to never buy another of their products. I will remember this.

Not to mention..... Their AR's are overpriced. They have stupid snake skin furniture (seriously, WTF DD). They're overgassed for the most part.....I'll spend my money elsewhere.

I didn't realize DD terminated 1/2 of their workers, and in a shi*ty way to boot.
    Plus if my memory serves me correctly they have had some quality control issues along the way as well. And a recall this past summer:
    https://danieldefense.com/safety

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    DDs are solid. I like mine a ton, but I'd be open to other brands next time. BCM is the top of the "other' list. JP is also solid. I wanted my first AR to be bought out finished. But honestly, I'll probably never buy a complete rifle ever again. I now know what I want and know how easy a build is. So I'll only build from here on out-- or maybe buy an assembled receiver at most.

DD may be doinng their workers wrong, and I get that you may not want to buy a DD rifle as a result. But rifle buying should be based on whether the PRODUCT is worthwhile and whether the company will be around to support it.

DD I think planned on AR scarcity for perpetuity. With the crash in prices, they got caught with their pants down.

JMO

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    We'll have to agree to disagree there. I don't buy from companies that don't represent the values that I hold dear. It's not like there's a shortage of quality AR manufacturers out there..... Crossing one off of the list and adding them to my **** list is no skin off my back. I'll spend my money with one of the many quality companies who's actions aren't an affront to my values.

I don't buy from:
    Troy
    Midwest Industries
    DD
    Benchmade
    I'm going to stop before this list gets out of hand

DD may be doinng their workers wrong, and I get that you may not want to buy a DD rifle as a result. But rifle buying should be based on whether the PRODUCT is worthwhile and whether the company will be around to support it.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    Im going with Dean on this one. The LWRC is the winner here for what you are looking for. Got mine for 925 used and it is a step above DD in my opinion.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    I bought a DD V7 this year. Is it a nice rifle? Yes. Is it nicer than anything you can build for less money? Probably not. I built a nice rifle with my ingo lower and a PSA upper that have just as good, and in some cases better, parts than my DD. I think the only thing you get with a factory built firearm (not just this particular AR) is manufacturer support if needed, and if you need to ever sell for some reason, there will likely be a better chance of a sale since Billy Joe Bob didn't assemble it from random parts.:twocents: I also looked at an lwrc mentioned above and didn't care for the proprietary parts situation.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    We'll have to agree to disagree there. I don't buy from companies that don't represent the values that I hold dear. It's not like there's a shortage of quality AR manufacturers out there..... Crossing one off of the list and adding them to my **** list is no skin off my back. I'll spend my money with one of the many quality companies who's actions aren't an affront to my values.

I don't buy from:
    Troy
    Midwest Industries
    DD
    Benchmade
    ** OFF TOPIC a little
    Why not Benchmade? I love my Benchmades but won't be spending money if I dont like where it is going.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I personally like the Sig Line up

I have a M400 enhanced that is rock solid and can outshoot most AR’s.
    Sig has some new models that fit your requirements they all have unique Sig quirks that some love and hate.

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    IMHO Daniel Defence is only capable of making a dressed up mil spec rifle nothing special about them especially not warranting the prices they want. Plus they just laid off 50% of their workforce and are currently attempting to enforce the non-compete agreements on the employess they just fired. DD can go get bent after that, especially for a founder espousing christian values like Mr.Daniels does.....

Daniel Defense Lays Off Large Percentage of Its Workforce | RECOIL
    https://assetsforchrist.org/about-us.php

LWRC makes a much nicer rifle at a better price point and you can find the black version of the IC-Di right now for ~$1100 or so which meets all of your requirements of a 16.1 inch barrel, mid-length gas system and slim handguard. Mine is a consistent sub MOA shooter with all but the crappiest of ammo, only thing I did to mine was replace the trigger (the stock trigger on the IC-Di is basicaly the ALG Nickle Boron rig) and added a nice Trijicon 1-8 scope. I did a little write up on it if you are interested.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns/437737-lwrc-ic-di-depth-review.html

I have a Daniel Defence V11 Pro and it just sits in the safe since I purchased the IC-Di

I'll have to agree with Dean on all accounts. The LWRC DI is absolutely top quality, accurate, almost entirely in-house made, lightweight (6ish lb), fully ambidextrous lower including BHO, and can be found for around $1000 new online (the last time I checked). You can get the same rifle with MLok for a few bucks more. And they offer distributor exclusives in different cerakoted colors if that's your thing.

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus

I don't buy from:
    Troy
    Midwest Industries
    DD
    Benchmade

THIS ABSOLUTELY.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Well...INGO has spoken and I have listened (nrgrams hit it on the head!)

Decided to go with an LWRC DI MLOK in OD Green. Figured if I am going to drop some coin on a high end AR, I want it to look different than all my other scary black rifles. Special order item and will take 2-4 weeks to get it. But LWRC was a pleasure to deal with (excellent customer service) and I am confident in the quality of their product.

I will do a write up and post some pictures once I have it in hand.

I'll have to agree with Dean on all accounts. The LWRC DI is absolutely top quality, accurate, almost entirely in-house made, lightweight (6ish lb), fully ambidextrous lower including BHO, and can be found for around $1000 new online (the last time I checked). You can get the same rifle with MLok for a few bucks more. And they offer distributor exclusives in different cerakoted colors if that's your thing.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    Well...INGO has spoken and I have listened (nrgrams hit it on the head!)

Decided to go with an LWRC DI MLOK in OD Green. Figured if I am going to drop some coin on a high end AR, I want it to look different than all my other scary black rifles. Special order item and will take 2-4 weeks to get it. But LWRC was a pleasure to deal with (excellent customer service) and I am confident in the quality of their product.

I will do a write up and post some pictures once I have it in hand.

Congrats on the purchase. I'm a little late to the party but I have the DD V7 pro and absolutely love it. I wasn't aware of the situation with their workers, and it probably would've affected my decision to buy DD had I known, but I'm very pleased with the quality of the rifle. It came with the Geissele dynamic 3 gun trigger, which I would recommend if you're looking to upgrade your stock trigger. I generally prefer 2 stage triggers but the 3 gun trigger is hands down the best trigger on any of my rifles.

Top Bottom