• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    Anyone have a preference? Seems like Geissele and Elf come up pretty often in my internet search. I've felt the Elf trigger in a demo lower and it felt pretty nice. Is it even something worth changing? I have a factory mil spec trigger right now.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Uh yeah it's worth changing if you have a mil spec now. Once you tickle aftermarket triggers for awhile you kinda become a trigger snob. Like stated above, what's said purpose for this rifle

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    There are lots of nice triggers out there. I personally have Geissele triggers in all of my rifles though for whatever that's worth.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I use the Rock River Arms National Match.....stage one is 3 1/2 pounds, stage 2 is 1 pound......make weight at the CMP matches, and has a GREAT feel

Aaron

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I'm not a big fan of the real light triggers so i usually put a Alg Act trigger. A lot smoother and no grittiness(if thats a word) while keeping a heavier pull, which is good if you like to use cheap steel cased ammo.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    What are you using the rifle for?

This! Different types triggers for different uses.
    I have a couple with Geissele and a couple with CMC. I like them both just fine.
    My every day go to rifle has the original MilSpec fire control group in it as do most of my ARs.
    Once they're fired a bunch they smooth out. I actually prefer the milspec triggers in my Colts.
    For serious trigger time i'll go to the bolt guns. Old guy here.

GreyState

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2017
    Ft Wayne
    General horseplay, all around rifle. I'm not tactical Tommy. I enjoy nice things. I have one AR with a Rock River Arms two stage match trigger. It feels nice, but i'm open to something different for another rifle.

Still a lot of variance in "General Horseplay"....what I mean is; in the after-market trigger market you'll probably want to make a decision between a one stage or a two stage trigger, on top of the actual pull weight and mechanics.

Single stage triggres are generally preferred for close quarters work and generally give up some precision for quicker fire. Two stage triggers are just that - they have a two stages, one designed with "take up", and a second stage that breaks. A two stage trigger is usually preferred for precision/match shooting...so, it really depends on what your definition of "general horeseplay" is.

That being said, Geissele makes good all around tiggers and are on sale right now. A good fast single stage trigger is the Super 3 Gun, it's a fast reset low pull weight single stage trigger. If you are looking for a no compromise "all around" trigger that is still fit for quick work, but gives you the advantage of a quick reset in a two stage trigger - look at the SSA.

I usually replace the triggers in all of my daily shooters..I have about 6 Geisseles (Super 3 Gun, 2 SSAs. and 2 SSA-Es, and One National Match DMR), a couple of Timneys and a Fostech.

Last edited:

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    We usually start with an ALG ACT with JP yellows for GP-all-around. Currently testing a Hiperfire E (on sale at Joe Bobs), and a drop in 3.5# which is very crisp.

Right to bear has a sale on RR National Match 2 stage 'varmit' 3.5# for $80. Going to give one a try. That $15 more than an ALG-ACT for a nice 2 stage.

We have a older shooting buddy that likes to come over during nicer weather and he ALWAYS starts with the standard gritty parts kit trigger. As soon as he tries a nicer trigger he changes it out.

IMO, thats the best place to start for improvement. Separate issue from improved glass, IMO :twocents:

YMMV and I am not a trigger snob.

:ingo:

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Tagged for interest. Just ordered an LWRC DI and looking for a good “all around” trigger for some training work and possibly some competition.

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    I've used a variety of different triggers, ranging from milspec to Geissele. Some of my favorites today are the Geissele SD3G, TriggerTech, CMC, and Timney.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I personally run an ELF trigger in my LWRC, based on research and gun shop trigger testing they have the best IMHO trigger out there for AR-15's their single stage trigger breaks better than my Wilson Combat 1911. They even came out with a less expensive option bringing them into Geissele territory price wise. The match is adjustable and I personally run mine at right a 3 pounds even like my 1911's (really good for cross platform trigger consistency)

ELF AR-15 Match Drop-In Trigger | Modular High Performance Trigger for AR-15 Rifles (the best trigger also the most expensive)

ELF-SE Trigger (cheaper option)

So far I have about 2,000 rounds down the pipe with the Elf Trigger and it works phenomenally, I think drop ins really do give you better triggers than a more standard trigger limited by the geometry of the trigger pins in the lower like Geissele is (a Geissele trigger cant touch the ELF IMHO). The ELF's body even has set screws to keep the trigger package tensioned inside the lower receiver so if you do not want to you do not need an anti-walk pin kit with this trigger.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    That's good to hear about the ELF. I have tried two that failed to reset during dry fire. I'm guessing that there's no way they would have acted the same during live fire. They really do feel the best out of what's mentioned in this thread.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    That's good to hear about the ELF. I have tried two that failed to reset during dry fire. I'm guessing that there's no way they would have acted the same during live fire. They really do feel the best out of what's mentioned in this thread.

There is a small set screw in the back of the trigger housing that controls the pull weight if it gets set down too far or up too high the reset won't work. Just a dab of blue loc-tite fixes the problem immediatly , I had the same problem after about 300 rounds and it's been good to go since. I just check the screw each time I clean the rifle to ensure it has not moved.

Top Bottom