• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rolodetective

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I went shooting last week with an enabler...I mean friend.
    We shot shotgun, AR's, pistols then finished the day with his scoped .22 Marlin 795. I'm not embarrassed to say, that we had the most fun with the 795. That brief afternoon with the venerable .22 rifle turned me onto the scent. I had to have one.

I spotted a very good condition 1977 Glenfield Model 60 at my LGS last week marked for $129. The rifle was in very good condition, but the original scope left a little to be desired.....mostly isolated to a cracked eye piece. Although the rifle was in what I would say was very good condition, it was rather dirty with a sticky action.

Fast forward to today....I stopped in with a friend and we started talking to one of the sales guys. (Great guy BTW). Long story short, I walked out with that Glenfield and a rifle case for $80 this afternoon. (Thanks Dan!)

Got it home and broke it down. I'd estimate the rifle to have very few rounds through it. The black paint is still prominent on the underside of the aluminum receiver where the bolt rides back and forth. The gooey lube (likely from the 70's) has been removed and all is right in the world.

Funny how the addition of a little innocuous .22 rifle to the fleet of significantly more expensive battle ready toys can bring so much excitement.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Yes there is something about a .22LR that trips a lot of people's trigger (pun intended). Be it the very nice but very overlooked Marlin 795, the ubiquitous Marlin 60, the Ruger 10/22 which could cost more in available modifications than the rifle itself, any AR-15 shooting the .22LR, an AK in .22, MP-5 look alike in .22 is almost as much fun as the real deal. Not forgetting all the .22LR conversions for many pistols.

Enjoy your new/old rifle!

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I have several .22s...mostly because everyone wants to shoot one. They are inexpensive (relatively speaking) fun. The only thing my 12yo daughter likes shooting better is the M1 Carbine...but not so inexpensive...

Have fun!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Congrats on the find! I'm eyeing an old 22 on Gunbroker right now. Time (and other people's bids) will tell if I wind up getting it. Auction ends around 8:30 tonight, and right now it's cheap, but of course that can change. It's funny... I rarely take my 22's to the range, since I'm somewhat of a recoil junkie, but when I do I always enjoy them. Just takes a lot of self-convincing to get one out!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I just bought another .22lr this week.
    I probably have more than a dozen .22's by now, but who's counting?

This one was also an impulse buy.
    A trip to my local gun shop turned up an old Savage model 74.
    It's a lever operated, falling-block action, single shot .22.

I have a thing for falling block actions. Don't know why.
    I did a very little bit of research before bringing this one home. I wasn't sure I really needed another .22, but what the heck.
    I found the model 74's were a bargain tier .22 based off of a more expensive model, but the model 74 was only produced for 2 years.
    Seems I also have a thing for rarities...

WWalker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    If you haven't replaced the buffer yet, you might want to check it out. They tend to get brittle and flake even if it hasn't been shot much

rolodetective

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Valparaiso
    WWalker that's a good top tip.....I inspected the buffer. It is not at all brittle and looks to be in "like new" condition. Both aluminum rails in the receiver, that the top of the bolt slides across as it cycles, still has the majority of the factory over spray still on them.
    That being said....a modern plastic replacement buffer, to have on hand, isn't a bad idea. Can you recommend a source?

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I've farkled my fair share of 10/22s. I had a Marlin m-2000 single shot bolt gun that I should have never traded. I miss ole blue. I've been tinkering with a Savage MK II in mcmillan like rifle stock. As far as a scope I suggest the Nikon Prostaff Rimfire II 3-9x40 Matte BDC150. I am finding the Bullet Drop Compensators to be something I wished I had as a kid.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    WWalker that's a good top tip.....I inspected the buffer. It is not at all brittle and looks to be in "like new" condition. Both aluminum rails in the receiver, that the top of the bolt slides across as it cycles, still has the majority of the factory over spray still on them.
    That being said....a modern plastic replacement buffer, to have on hand, isn't a bad idea. Can you recommend a source?

Numrich has them. Take a look at your firing pin as well. The new pins have a loop rather than a notch.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Shooting .22lr is one of the funnest types of shooting there is...fun, minimal recoil, accurate for plinking, inexpensive...and did I mention it's CHEAP to shoot!

I had a stainless 10/22 with wood 25+ year ago and traded it for something else...and really missed it.

About 7 years ago I picked up a stainless with polymer 10/22...and what a fun little hoot-to-shoot!

It's great for teaching kids gun safety, proper handling skills, proper shooting skills, it's accurate, has minimal recoil, and is cheap enough to just let 'em have at it for a bit!

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    One of the first rifles my dad gave me 50+ years ago was a Remington 552 Speedmaster. I sold it when I was in college, dumb error. Several years ago I was in a LGS and found one in excellent condition for $150. I didn’t even haggle. Brought it home, went over it and really cleaned it up. Now every time I shoot it it brings a big smile to my face. For fun and giggles, older .22s rule.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have been without one for about four or five years. Traded an old boat motor for a 1975 Glenfield Model 25. Its mint condition and shoots great.

Always wanted a Glenfield model 60 with the squirrel in the stock. Low and behold one came up on here for sale. It wasn't shot much either just dirty. It wouldn't cycle to save my sole. I researched it and come to find out Marlin changed design on those model 60's feed throat like four times over the years. Brownell's had the update kit and I also replaced the extractors and springs. I also polished the bolt and inside the receiver. It shoots great now. Unfortunately have about two bills in it now. It is the older model that holds 19 in the tube that is no longer made. I put a used fixed four power on it. Overall happy with it now except the stiff ass trigger. They are neat guns and now I am educated on how to repair them I am going to be picking them up.

I have been in the woods last two days shooting at cans. Now that I'm dialed in squirrels are my next order of business.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Congrats on the find! I'm eyeing an old 22 on Gunbroker right now. Time (and other people's bids) will tell if I wind up getting it. Auction ends around 8:30 tonight, and right now it's cheap, but of course that can change. It's funny... I rarely take my 22's to the range, since I'm somewhat of a recoil junkie, but when I do I always enjoy them. Just takes a lot of self-convincing to get one out!

I won the auction, so I have an old Remington Model 24 on the way. :rockwoot: They were patterned after the Browning 22 and were made from 1922 to 1935. I've always liked the little Brownings so I'm excited to get this one.

Pics from Gunbroker:

pix666743484.jpg

pix836408430.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Man oh man, the .22....how many childhood memories surround that caliber. How many squirrel became dinner. Crows, rabbit etc.
    Endless hours of plinking over my youth. I have seldom been without a .22 of some kind. I have 7 in all right now and most likely will pass them all on.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Good pick DoggyDaddy! I grabbed a M24 from my LGS about 5 years ago; .22 short only. It is a fantastic little rifle, can't go wrong with any of Mr. John Moses Browning's designs. If you have trouble finding a manual online let me know, I have a .pdf somewhere. One thing to be careful of is retracting the bolt a bit and unlocking the latch before separating the barrel from the receiver.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    I picked up a Rem 24 from Elmores several years ago (shorts only) that was in excellent condition. Haven't shot it a lot but it just feels good in my hands. I had been searching for a Marlin Mountie for years and I happened to be in Elmores the day after one came in and Jason gave me a great deal in it. 1961 vintage and at least in my mind now, completes my 22 inventory. I shot it at Point Blank and managed to keep 5 shots on a 1/2" square at 10 yards. I had forgotten what great rifles they are. Generally I shoot a 10/22 for pest control because it's scoped and don't see iron sight well but the "oldies" are still the best.
    It would not surprise me if a 10/22 is in your future after you shoot the Marlin for a while. Since the ammo is reasonable no reason not to have an inventory and plenty of ammo.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member,[/FONT] Pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] /[/FONT][FONT=&quot] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock/M&P certified armorer
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands or
    engage and disengage, it happens between your ears”
    Col. Jeff Cooper

Last edited:
    Top Bottom