• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Thoughts? I am thinking about one, noticed some good prices on them. It would be used for plinking perhaps for mounting a scope to so I can learn how to sight in and use a scope red dot etc.

Thanks

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Great little rifle. I've had one ever since they came out. I had the original synthetic/stainless model. Sold it and bought one of the limited run wood/blued versions.

rolodetective

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The 10/22 is outstanding little rifle with a massive aftermarket. In my opinion, they are expensive for what they are and IMHO are overpriced by about $75.

The take down model is over priced by much more than that. While it's COOL to be able to break it down and put it in a back pack...there really isn't THAT much of a need for that feature unless you plan on taking it hiking. I handled one very recently and frankly found it to feel "cheap". If the take down feature is appealing to you, do it....life is short.

If you want it to mount a scope, plink, learn how to sight in and use a red dot then there are other options out there that offer a lot of rifle for much less money. The Savage 64 has a free float barrel and is known for it's accuracy and it has a steel receiver. The Marlin 795 and the Marlin Model 60 is a great value and are excellent rifles.

I just spent a week figuring out which .22 rifle I would buy. I ultimately decided on an older Glenfield 60 (1977) because I wanted the longer barrel, higher round count and superior craftsmanship and build materials. (Back when companies weren't as quick to exchange quality for profit margins) If I were to buy a modern rifle......Savage 64 all day long.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    They are a lot of fun and the takedown feature makes them easy to put in a backpack. They are a little stiff when you first get one. You have to take it apart and put it back together a few times.

It won't be super accurate but it will be super fun.

They tend to be a little higher in price than I would prefer (but it didn't prevent me from buying one).

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have been considering one myself. I would mount a set of skinner sights on the barrel. If I were going to scope a .22 I would just buy the regular 10/22 and drop in a better trigger. But a small red dot like a TRS25 would be perfect on a take down. I disagree the 10/22 is overpriced, they are great rifles and if you look around can be picked up right. My local shop has them with threaded barrels for $299 with all the goodies.

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I bought one last winter. It is a fun little gun. Added a Bug Buster scope that fits in the bag without removing it from the receiver. Was able to sell my wife on the idea that it is our SHTF rifle. Truth is, I just thought it was cool and wanted one.

Bookmark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2014
    Gibson County
    I bought one last winter as well and put Skinner peep sights on it. The rear sight mounts to the back of the barrel instead of the receiver so you lose some sight radius, but it makes for a light, fast rimfire rifle that's great for plinking, squirrel, and rabbit. I'm planning on putting the Magpul Backpacker or Hunter stock on once work slows down a bit, if I can just decide which one I like better.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I put Williams Ace-In-The-Hole sights on mine. The red fiber optic works well with the rear peep.

I haven't really done much scoped accuracy testing. Are folks not getting decent accuracy?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I bought one last winter as well and put Skinner peep sights on it. The rear sight mounts to the back of the barrel instead of the receiver so you lose some sight radius, but it makes for a light, fast rimfire rifle that's great for plinking, squirrel, and rabbit. I'm planning on putting the Magpul Backpacker or Hunter stock on once work slows down a bit, if I can just decide which one I like better.

Those are exactly the sights I was looking at. You give them a favorable review then?

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    While it's COOL to be able to break it down and put it in a back pack...there really isn't THAT much of a need for that feature unless you plan on taking it hiking. I handled one very recently and frankly found it to feel "cheap". If the take down feature is appealing to you, do it....life is short.
    If you think the 10/22 TD feels cheap, you should try the other takedowns available - the Savage or Charter Arms AR7 make the 10/22 TD feel like a fine English hunting rifle.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The 10/22 is outstanding little rifle with a massive aftermarket. In my opinion, they are expensive for what they are and IMHO are overpriced . . . The take down model is over priced by much more . . . If the take down feature is appealing to you, do it....life is short.

If you want it to mount a scope, plink, learn how to sight in and use a red dot then there are other options out there that offer a lot of rifle for much less money. The Savage 64 has a free float barrel and is known for it's accuracy and it has a steel receiver. The Marlin 795 and the Marlin Model 60 is a great value and are excellent rifles.

I just spent a week figuring out which .22 rifle I would buy. I ultimately decided on an older Glenfield 60 (1977) because I wanted the longer barrel, higher round count and superior craftsmanship and build materials. (Back when companies weren't as quick to exchange quality for profit margins) If I were to buy a modern rifle......Savage 64 all day long.

This. I own an All-Weather 10/22. It is a good rifle. I do not need to upgrade, modify, play with its components. I did put a scope on it, and added an upgraded Ruger trigger, but it is still not as accurate as my out-of-the-box Savage 62, which is the Walmart version of the 64. I picked up the Savage for $99. It is an all weather rifle for me, too—synthetic stock with blued barrel. Just have to clean it up ASAP if the weather goes bad while using it.

IMHO, if you really just want to plink, learn, scope a .22, the Savage makes more sense than the 10/22. Over $100 cheaper than the standard 10/22, more accurate OTB, durable, excellent trigger. Put the extra cash on a better scope and more ammo.

OTH, if you want to play with a 10/22, go with the Ruger. Just expect to see it sucking your cash down the drain with all the upgrades. :spend: Keep in mind, too, that when you try to sell the spruced up 10/22, you will have a very, very hard time getting your money back. You will have to take a loss, which won't happen with a $99 rifle.

Just depends on what you want to do.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The appeal of the takedown model is the portability and lightweight. I agree that a one piece wood stocked gun has a much more solid feel. I put slings on all my guns but I am not sure how the little takedown would hold up to the weight of my using a sling for shooting support. I have not shot the Savage but there is an older Marlin 60, newer Marlin795 and Ruger 10/22 laying around. I feel like the Ruger is the most solid feeling of the bunch.

Bookmark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2014
    Gibson County
    Those are exactly the sights I was looking at. You give them a favorable review then?

Yes, they are very well made. My rifle is Ruger's "satin black" finish (parkerized maybe?) so I chose the blued sights and they seem to want to show some light rust before anything on the rifle does. Brass and stainless are available too though. Removing the rear aperture completely makes target acquisition very fast. Not as fast and accurate as a red-dot, but the Skinner's are smaller and a lot more durable. Only downside I have found is since the rear aperture in on the rear of the barrel and not the receiver it is further from your eye and it makes it harder to see through the 0.40" and 0.70" rear apertures since they are farther away. But it could just be my 50+ year old eyes too:):. Good luck

ArisakaTiger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2017
    Westfield
    I picked up a TD earlier this summer and have been tinkering and plinking for the last 5 months. I love it and the fact I can keep it a one or 2 500 round bricks of .22, extra magazines as well as a water bottle etc... all in one easy to transport package. It lives in my car and is always there when I feel compelled to visit the range to relax after a long week.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I picked one up today with a wood stock, feels really nice in the hands but havent shot it yet. I will say with the wooden stock I am hesitant to throw it in a B.O.B. or backpack which is what its intended for.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I picked one up today with a wood stock, feels really nice in the hands but havent shot it yet. I will say with the wooden stock I am hesitant to throw it in a B.O.B. or backpack which is what its intended for.

Who did you get it from? the wood stock versions are usually dealer exclusives. Got mine at rural king.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I have a heavy barreled takedown in a backpacker stock. The magpul barrel mount for the scope keeps the thing laser accurate.

Top Bottom