• ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    New precision rifles from Kimber:

Kimber Announces Pair of New Precision Rifles - The Firearm BlogThe Firearm Blog

Kimber-Rifle-00002-660x147.jpg

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    sub .5moa guarantee is pretty interesting. Im seeing more and more companies throwing these guarantees with their rifles.

Well, that's a function of two things:

1) The internet says it must be so, or the rifles won't sell. That, or at least they will sell better if people think they are a rifle that will shoot in the 4's.

2) It's prettttty easy to get out of the "guarantee". All they have to do is blame it on the shooter, the conditions, the ammo, the optic, the moon phase....

And if they actually DID have one come in that could be verified not to satisfy the guarantee, all they would be required to do would be to deliver another rifle--hand picked, mind you--to the customer that satisfies their curiosity.

Guarantees mean almost nothing.

This is not a statement against Kimber at all. A 1/2 Minute bolt action is not particularly challenging to build if you specify a couple types of ammo for the test. My statements are more against the internet wisdom that made these kind of statements necessary, when the average internet armchair type would be pressed to hold 1 Minute, rested and sandbagged.

-Nate

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Heya KF,

Has there been some sort of technology improvement in the process of manufacturing bolt actions? With the rise of reliable/cheap/accurate budget bolts (Savage/Remington/Ruger/etc.), it seems like something must've changed to make it more cost effective.

The market for these bolts may've grown, too, as counter-programming to the AR, but that doesn't seem like enough to move the market like it has.

Figured if anyone had insight, it'd be you. :)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    More like technology colluding with the CFOs of the holding companies to get overhead down while tech shrinks the hands on hours.

The rub is that some holding companies (*cough, cough, Remington*) are chasing the cost rabbit (gun people will spend $100 to save $10) and have forgotten that the gun consumer is also composed of a loyal bunch and doesn't like it when the QC takes a dive.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, in re-reading my post, using the lower end wasn't probably a good example. It just seems like bolt actions are enjoying a bit of a renaissance, at a lower price point than before.

It makes sense that more automation of the machining and assembly of traditionally simple rifles would bring the price point down overall. I think the $2.5k MSRP on the rifle in the OP builds in a significant margin, but that offering is possible because of a larger overall market for those rifles.

We live in interesting times. ;)

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I like competition in the market but I'd take a Tikka Tac A1 for $800 less. Like natdscott said, most would shoot the Tikka just as well and wouldn't know the difference

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Gents,

I'm not impressed with Kimber...... I hope this rifle shoots well and sells good, but the niche market for these is shrinking I feel......plus if (Kimber) is like most companies, it' there same rifle in a new suit.....

Aaron

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Has me wondering if these are anything like their 1911's currently offered.
    Pretty, highly overpriced etc and so on.

Kimber rifles typically have very nice standard(ie. not bladed) triggers, good wood or synthetic stocks, smooth actions and very good fit and finish. They are also don't have a reputation for being extremely accurate and are priced at the high end of typical production rifles. Basically they were originally intended to be very nice Model 70 clone hunting rifles. This version definitely reminds me more of their 1911's though.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Kimber rifles typically have very nice standard(ie. not bladed) triggers, good wood or synthetic stocks, smooth actions and very good fit and finish. They are also don't have a reputation for being extremely accurate and are priced at the high end of typical production rifles. Basically they were originally intended to be very nice Model 70 clone hunting rifles. This version definitely reminds me more of their 1911's though.

For this reason and a few others I am no fan of the Marque. It has caused some dissent with friends who own them. No worries, if you like it own it.
    I have tried a few different models in the 1911-ish offerings and was sorely disappointing.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    For this reason and a few others I am no fan of the Marque. It has caused some dissent with friends who own them. No worries, if you like it own it.
    I have tried a few different models in the 1911-ish offerings and was sorely disappointing.

Yes, I've read many accounts of their 1911s being more about the bling than the reliable bang. The rifles though have been really been a different animal at least up until this point. For those that appreciate a finely built rifle they are a huge step up from the Remingtons and Savages of the world without incurring the full price of a custom rifle or pre 64' Model 70. They've also been a leader in producing ultralight mountain rifles with modern synthetic stocks. This precision rifle and their recent delve into the (somewhat) budget market by slapping cheap stocks on some of their rifles though.............

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes, I've read many accounts of their 1911s being more about the bling than the reliable bang. The rifles though have been really been a different animal at least up until this point. For those that appreciate a finely built rifle they are a huge step up from the Remingtons and Savages of the world without incurring the full price of a custom rifle or pre 64' Model 70. They've also been a leader in producing ultralight mountain rifles with modern synthetic stocks. This precision rifle and their recent delve into the (somewhat) budget market by slapping cheap stocks on some of their rifles though.............

Interesting.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom