• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tom Threetoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Southwestern IN
    Looks like I'll be muzzle loader hunting this season, I couldn't get the job done with my lever gun. I've been less than satisfied with the performance of my old load on game, 120 grains of pyrodex pellets and a Hornady 250 gr. 45 cal. XTP mag. in a .50 caliber Knight sabot. Anyone want to share their favorite load ? I'm mainly looking for a different bullet, not real pleased with the Hornady's terminal performance.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Put 100 grains of 3F Triple-7 behind a 250 Grain T/C Shockwave (NON bonded), or the Hornady equivalent...they are the same thing.

I've run as hig as 125 grains of the same powder, and as low as 90, but I know for a fact that 100 will get it done.

-Nate

longshooter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Fishers
    I use 100gr of Pyrodex pellet behind a 250gr. Barnes Expander MZ. Incredible expansion and weight retention. They are hard to load in my Encore, but well worth the trouble.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I use 42.0 grains of Accurate 5744, Winchester 209 primers, and 45 cal, 250 grain Hornady SST bullets in a MMP sabot. This is in my Savage 10 ML-II, and the smokeless powder won't help you, but it is an accurate load with that bullet.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    My best two loads that I like in my CVA Wolf are the Barnes Spit Fire T-EZ Sabot with 100 grains of White Hots Powder & a Federal Premium Primer. OR substitute a Hornady SST High Speed Low Drag Sabot w/ Flex Tip for the Barnes. I have very good accuracy & results with either of those.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I use 42.0 grains of Accurate 5744, Winchester 209 primers, and 45 cal, 250 grain Hornady SST bullets in a MMP sabot. This is in my Savage 10 ML-II, and the smokeless powder won't help you, but it is an accurate load with that bullet.

Small world. I used 42.0 5744 after finding out that VV N110 wouldn't light very reliably in cold weather. That said, I was using CCI BR2's to light the fire.

I need to sell that barrel...

-Nate

Tom Threetoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Southwestern IN
    I've been doing some research and the Barnes 250gr. MZ Expander ahead of some Blackhorn 209 looks promising. The problem I had with the XTP bullets was a lack of pass throughs and no blood trail.

randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Barnes 250 TEZ on top of 100 gr Blackhorn 209 in my CVA Apex shoots great. I used to use the Barnes in my older CVA Optima pro with 2 pellets of triple 7 but when I went to the Apex it has a tighter bore and I had to clean it after every shot. So I have been using Powerbelt 245 in it. I switched to Blackhorn a few years ago and haven't looked back. This year I needed some more bullets and wanted something different than Powerbelts (even though I had no problems with the performance) so I bought the Hornady 300 gr XTP .452 and some Barnes TEZ 250. I couldn't get the Hornadys to group to my satisfaction but the Barnes were awesome so that is what I will be using this season.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have been using the 250gr Hornady Shockwave or SST over 150gr of Triple Seven pellets for about 10 years in my T/C Omega and have never recovered a bullet. It will shoot in the 1.5" range at 100 yards for three shots if I can bring myself to abuse my shoulder that much. I would reduce the charge, but 100gr opens the group to over 3" in my gun.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I don't run the new hotter types of MZ.
    Ran sidehammers and Knights back in the day, and when using sabots...........240 gr Rem JHP or TC offerings...........bullets zipped through deer.
    Sometimes they went down right there, others went a bit.
    Accuracy was great (FFg goex).

Played with diff sabots and powders in one Knight, and in my Hawken Silver Elite.
    All #11 ignition. Shockwave took my biggest deer to date.

T7 seems decent (granulated)...........and switched to Musket Cap.
    Pioneer cleaned up great but I'd get fliers.

Still have the TC, might pick up a Knight again.
    100gr loads, no interest in triple pellet stuff.

Bullet? TC Maxihunter 275 gr.
    Shots won't be past 150 and most under 100.

Pops has an Encore. Might try 2 pellets and the Maxhunter...........see how it does.
    Aint tried it yet (he only shot 240gr sabot stuff w 2 pellets). He had very good accuracy.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I've been doing some research and the Barnes 250gr. MZ Expander ahead of some Blackhorn 209 looks promising. The problem I had with the XTP bullets was a lack of pass throughs and no blood trail.

I never had an XTP fail to pass through or leave a substantial blood trail but the exit wound was always small after the bullet largely blew up. Using a 300 grain XTP or the model specifically designed for muzzleloaders instead of handguns improves the likelihood of a pass through. However, I eventually switched to the Barnes TEZ and have never looked back.

I have been using the 250gr Hornady Shockwave or SST over 150gr of Triple Seven pellets for about 10 years in my T/C Omega and have never recovered a bullet. It will shoot in the 1.5" range at 100 yards for three shots if I can bring myself to abuse my shoulder that much. I would reduce the charge, but 100gr opens the group to over 3" in my gun.

I'm not surprised you haven't recovered any Shockwaves or SST, I used them briefly and despite using them with smokeless powder in my Savage, they never seemed to expand very well.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    The problem I had with the XTP bullets was a lack of pass throughs and no blood trail.

I disagree here . If a hunting bullet does what it's supposed to you shouldn't get a pass through . You want all energy to be absorbed by your game but with good penetration.

I'm a firm believer in XTP's . I switched to them in my ML and my 44 lever . Night and difference from a Hornady FTX style bullet . Granted the XTP isn't quite as accurate but the amount of damage it does to a whitetail is far and above better than anything I have tried and I have tried a bunch in my ML .

I haven't had to go more than 50yds to recover a deer since I switched . Just about everyone in our hunting group is using them now and I know they have the same opinion .

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    2 pyrodex pellets and a .45 caliber XTP in the Encore. Might actually have to get it out this year. Not much available time in gun season. Have to wait until next year to try the Creedmoor on venison.

coyotehunter4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    WEST CENTRAL IND.
    Good luck with the Barnes. I use to load the TMZ with 110grs of Black Horn 209. Accuracy was great, but the bullets wouldn’t expand. Small pass thru with not much of a blood trail. I never lost a deer, but never had a marginal shot. A bad shot would make for a tough tracking job. I went to the 44 FTX bullets, with a green MMP sabot. They seem to have a lot better expansion and exit wound. Still shoots 1.5” groups at 100 yards.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Barnes MZ expander in 250gr on top of 100gr by volume of Blackhorn 209 using CCI magnum shot shell primer. I weigh my charges out at 70gr.

I have shot 5 deer with this load. 1 heart shot and others double lung. All pass through with a huge blood trail that wasn't ever needed because they only went ~20 yards.

i do not foresee myself changing this load in the future.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I use two 777 pellets behind a 250gr shock wave and Winchester 777 primer. 3 shots touching at 100 yards in the bulleye. I'll see how it preforms on a deer but accuracy wise I couldn't be happier. That's out of a vortex striker fire mz. I use goex ffg out of my Knight American with 209 conversion and my Cva buck horn, 85gr behind 240gr xtp and standard Winchester 209 primer.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Looks like I'll be muzzle loader hunting this season, I couldn't get the job done with my lever gun. I've been less than satisfied with the performance of my old load on game, 120 grains of pyrodex pellets and a Hornady 250 gr. 45 cal. XTP mag. in a .50 caliber Knight sabot. Anyone want to share their favorite load ? I'm mainly looking for a different bullet, not real pleased with the Hornady's terminal performance.
    Ive been killing deer with 100 grains of pyrodex behind 235 grain 45 caliber Hornady XTPs saboted in a 50 cal ML for years. Swear by their terminal performance. Perhaps you need to work on your shot placement?

Top Bottom