• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Do all Chinese SKS's have ribbed barrels like this? Guess I've never noticed before.

Y91sb85.jpg

WQ33zsR.jpg

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Mine does not... that looks like a machining error.

If it is an error, it is cool, uniform, and unique.

This SKS has a pretty cool story too. I bought it off of INGO, the guy picked it up at a gun show in the early 90’s for $75.00, he never even took it out of the box, I’m the one that cleaned out the cosmoline when I bought it from him a few years ago.

HEADKNOCKER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Clarksville
    They do not.. In fact I have never seen another SKS from any country like that JFYI.. Very Cool, Would help it dissipate heat ever so slightly.. Or burn that pattern into you're skin.. Gary/Hk New member here but not new Clarksville Indiana

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I used to sell SKS rifles, and noticed the rough machining that you show, on the Chinese commercial or "export" models. The surplus military rifles rarely showed the machining since, I believe, they were made better

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Quick and dirty machining with a dash of "hoop stress". Still good enough for minute of man at a couple hundred yards.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    [0136] arsenal mark, CJA SHFD MI importer mark, serial number starts with 23.

I did some searching around Youperj's SKS web site. The checkering on the base of the bayonet is basically universal, but I didn't see any with ribbing on the barrel.

Did find a couple of other mentions of "ribbed" or "radiator" barrels. Here is one thread. It is definitely unusual.

Last edited:

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I did some searching around Youperj's SKS web site. The checkering on the base of the bayonet is basically universal, but I didn't see any with ribbing on the barrel.

Did find a couple of other mentions of "ribbed" or "radiator" barrels. Here is one thread. It is definitely unusual.

Thanks, this thread talks about it too, and gives an explanation to why it happens during the machining process.

Radiator barrels

It is just very uniform, and pronounced on my gun; like it was meant to be that way.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    My MAK90 has the same ribbing. Does not look like a machining error/rough machining or unintentional. Not that I think it serves any purpose...

Last edited:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    This will happen on any lathe turned part if the feed rate is too fast for the tool bit configuration. If you want a very smooth surface you can use a radius on the cutting edge of the bit. A sharp "vee" at the cutting edge will produce a good surface if the feed rate is slowed down. On your example it serves no purpose, just indicates they were running as above. The surface on the more expensive firearm barrels are quite likely "ground" instead or after lathe turning.

Top Bottom