• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I need some recommendations on a 308 bolt gun. I've been looking at the Mossberg MVP LR and a Savage 10 FCP. Both of these are within my budget area but I have zero experience with either brand. I'm leaning more towards the MVP due to it taking AR10 mags.

I already have a scope and rings that I plan on putting on this rifle.

I am mainly looking for a target gun out to 1000 at this time. I have up to 1000 yards and nothing past that, which is why I've settled on the 308 instead of 6.5CM.

So what do you guys say? Any other rifles out there I may be missing?

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Appreciate all the leads guys! I think I may be getting the Bergera HMR... Now if I can find one in stock somewhere for the same price.

Cabelas has them on back order currently for 850 with a 2-3 week ship time. Other places still have them for 1000 and on backorder so I may pull the trigger on Cabelas unless someone knows a better place to get one.

Nitro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 24, 2017
    Columbus
    Savage 10 FCP-SR. I just picked one up a few months ago and put a vortex scope on it.... It is amazing within 20 rounds I hit a golf ball at 300 Yard no joke. It is a sweet bolt action only thing that is a little finicky is the magazine. Savage has had some issues with them. I just found that you have to be aggressive with it. I am getting ready to ship out my stock to get it hydro dipped. The Accutrigger is awesome. Can make it like a hair trigger which I love for longer shots. Savage customer service is awesome too.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    As of right now I think I've settled on my setup.

Bergara HMR in 308
    Seekins 20MOA Scope Base
    Harris 6-9 Swivel Bipod
    Primary Arms 4-14 Rgrid FFP
    Midwest Ind Muzzle Brake

I do reload so I plan on finding what weight bullet works best with the particular gun I get.
    And yes I do plan on a different optic at some point. I have the Primary Arms laying around so I'm going to use it for now. Maybe I'll get a Vortex Viper when AA Optics has another sale.

Quick question about rings... The Primary Arms scopes objective is 44mm. Should I go with low or medium height rings. I'm going with the vortex matched ring set.

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Remington 700 5r

Regardless of what people with low end Remington’s say about their poor quality, their higher end guns (like the 5r, police, sendero, etc...) are excellent.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Ordered the Bergara HMR in 308 this morning from Buds. They nearly matched Cabelas 850 price tag with 860 instead and no backorder so its worth the time to me. Free shipping too!

Its going to USDS so 875 isnt too bad of a price for that rifle I dont think.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    If I was down to my last $800 a Salvage would be last on my list assuming the need for a robust platform.

Let me guess, you'd start out with one of those awesome new Remingtons where only 60% of the bolt lug contacts the raceway and there's surface rust on the receiver and barrel outta the box.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Are you speaking from experience on the higher end Remington 700s (Sendero, Police, or 5r models)? In my experience, the low end rifles are built to a much lower standard. But those higher end rifles are good to go.

Personally, my money would go to a 5r before a Savage of equal price.

Now, if you’re talking sub $500 rifles, sure.....go with a savage or Ruger. But OPs question wasn’t about bottom of the barrel budget rifles. $800 gets you into the higher end Remington 700s.

Let me guess, you'd start out with one of those awesome new Remingtons where only 60% of the bolt lug contacts the raceway and there's surface rust on the receiver and barrel outta the box.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    If you can swing it, the Ruger Precision 308 has been on sale at a few places on-line for $999.
    Mine is super accurate and it takes regular 308 P-mags so you can have 10-20-30 rounders if you want and they are cheap.
    If you have a 308 AR, it's the perfect rifle to compliment because they can use the same mags... :rockwoot:

If not, I would recommend the Savage.

Top Bottom