• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I just got a .308 complete upper from PSA and am looking for some suggestions for parts. Looking for suggestions for front and rear flip up sights and on a decent budget optic. Not looking for long range but would like some magnification. Is it a waste to put a low magnification optic on a .308? Still have to get a lower and lower kit as well, will probably try to pic one up on sale at PSA.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Any flip up sight will work. The most cost effective are probably the MBUS from Magpul. As far as glass, budget is the limiting factor. The better glass, will let you see farther, better.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Since you got a psa upper, I’d get a psa lower, and lower build kit, or just get a complete psa lower. With a matching upper and lower the the lines will match up and look nice.

I put a Primary Arms 4-14x44 ACSS on my PA-10. I’ve only had it for a couple months, so I haven’t had a chance to shoot beyond 125 yards, but so far so good.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I think PSA has AR-10 lowers on sale for $160, and $200 with the Magpul ACS stock. As far as the optic, I don't think it's a waste to put a low magnification optic on it if that satisfies/compliments the role of the rifle. If this will be a long range shooter, then I would say get more magnification. If you just want to hit man-sized targets out to 200-300 yards, I would say go with lower magnification.

Just my 2 cents. Which upper did you get?

ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I think PSA has AR-10 lowers on sale for $160, and $200 with the Magpul ACS stock. As far as the optic, I don't think it's a waste to put a low magnification optic on it if that satisfies/compliments the role of the rifle. If this will be a long range shooter, then I would say get more magnification. If you just want to hit man-sized targets out to 200-300 yards, I would say go with lower magnification.

Just my 2 cents. Which upper did you get?

My upper is the 18” mid length, stainless barrel and 15” M-Lok rail. Def planning on getting lower parts from PAS as well. Been looking at the Primary Arms ACSS optics, really liking them. They say their 5x works with .308

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    My upper is the 18” mid length, stainless barrel and 15” M-Lok rail. Def planning on getting lower parts from PAS as well. Been looking at the Primary Arms ACSS optics, really liking them. They say their 5x works with .308

I can't wait to try out the ACSS ranging, and bullet drop estimation, I just need to get somewhere where I can stretch it out.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I would say you need to determine what you intend to do with the rifle before specifying a scope! If you are going to use it for hunting, likely less than 300 yd, I would go with a fairly low power scope to widen your field of view. If you are going to target shoot or compete at ranges up to a 1000 yd you would spec a higher power.

I assembled my LR 308 using a Vortex Crossfire 2 6X24X50 with quick connect base. I have a DPMS upper on a lower I built. Mine has the 24" SS bull barrel, with Tripod, weight is pretty high for a hunting rifle but I intend to target shoot only. I did pick up a set of quick mount steel sights, (bought at Amazon for less than $25 as it is only backup in case of optic damage in a SHTF situation). I would decide what you will be using the rifle for and contact Alan at A and A optics. He is a Vortex dealer and can guide you in the optics needed for your use.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    I like Troy defense flip ups with the hk style front. I think a nice 1-6 or 1-8 optic would suite that well. Vortex strike eagle optics are a nice entry level low variable optic.

Ghostface

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2017
    Grant Co
    Zach, the ACSS reticle is a pretty good one. I have one on one of my AR-10s and I took it out to 500 using ball and it worked pretty well. I think you will like it...

cosmos556

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2017
    Greenwood
    I would say you need to determine what you intend to do with the rifle before specifying a scope! If you are going to use it for hunting, likely less than 300 yd, I would go with a fairly low power scope to widen your field of view. If you are going to target shoot or compete at ranges up to a 1000 yd you would spec a higher power.

Having bought the wrong scope before, I'd second this heartily. My PA red dots have done fine, their scope looks good but I hav eno experience with it.
    For BUIS, I think Magpul would be the lower end of what I'd trust. Having been infuriated with a cheap flip up that didn't hold position on a .22LR, I'd avoid a bargain set on a harder recoiling .308 from my expereince.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have Magpul MBUS on a couple of my rifles and they are GTG. I have had the GG&G BUIS set and can recommend them as well. For optics I have Vortex on 4 of my rifles and love them. Great glass for the money.

TheWiz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    I just bought a PSA lower and my upper should be here on Thursday. I am trying to find some cost effective magnification options as well. As long as I find something before spring I will be happy.

Top Bottom