• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I'm a local police officer and was involved in a physical fight with a suspect tonight. In the end my personal shotgun was broken in half during the fight and I came to you guys to see what my options are.

Remington M887 Tactical in 12ga.

During the fight the gun snapped at the rear of the receiver where the stock attaches. It appears that the tang is snapped so I don't think I can put a new stock on it and solve the issue.

So what are my options? Hang it on the wall as a reminder or attempt to fix the thing? I dont even know where to start with this.

*Also I dont want to violate any NFA issues due to my stock being broke off. Do you guys know if this broken stock would reclassify this gun? I can always get rid of it*

30atdw9.jpg

2im45s.jpg

fnql8z.jpg

2njxbpf.jpg

**For the guys interested here is what happened. This is also on page 2**

And the reasoning for carrying my personal shotgun at work, is due to my department not having any shotguns available. There are admin and detectives that keep their shotguns while guys on the road don't have any... Don't get me started, I'm going to be filing a complaint this week about this same issue. I'm not the only guy using their personal long guns on the road.

As far as the conflict goes I'll give you what I think i can. We get a call for a violent domestic with a knife. Female is locked in a bedroom and a male is stabbing the walls trying to get in. We get there and knock and announce... The male comes out the front door but refused to comply with our orders. I have him a less lethal gun point and my partner has him at handgun point. At this point the guy has the knife concealed in his pocket. I advised my partner to taze him, due to me being to close to use less lethal shotgun per our department orders. My partner doesn't taze him but decides to go hands on.... Bad move on his point but it was heat of the moment. Anyways the fight was on at that point, my partner was on his back, bad guy in the middle, and me on top. Unknown at what point during the fight but my shotgun then broke off. Bad guy pulls the knife which I'm able to get away from him and throw. Back up arrives and we take him into custody.

Could have been a lethal shoot real quick but we were fighting on an edge of a balcony and a stairwell and quarters were extremely tight. Mistakes were made but nobody got seriously hurt and we all went home at the end of the night.

Last edited:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Send it to Remington with some proof you are LEO... you might get a replacement.

Then sell it and get a real gun made of metal like the 870. :):

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    First and foremost, glad to see that you came out of the altercation on top. I would contact Remington customer service and get that started. I doubt there is any fix to it, just replacement with hopefully something more solid. The M877 line always felt a little cheap to me with their use of plastic, but hopefully Remington will stand behind their product.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Send it to Remington with some proof you are LEO... you might get a replacement.

THIS. It wont hurt to ask Remington for help. The worst they can say is no. And the best they can do is say "No, no, no, no... you deserve a REAL shotty for your work. Here is an upgrade to an 870."

Thanks for your service, and here is hoping they take care of you.

PS I hope the perp came out of it in as many pieces. LOL

EDIT: that failing, turn it in to your brass/town council as an expensed item? You shouldnt have to shoulder that burden personally.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Meh, a little Bondo and some duct tape will bring that back to life.
    Some fluff and buff and you're ready to rock and roll again.

rolodetective

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Very glad you are good to go.....but, what are the details regarding the altercation and the use of your personal shotgun? If you are able to share....inquiring minds would like to know.

Btw, no judgement on using your personal firearm. I carry my Colt 1911 on the job.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

I'm with this thinking.
    You're seeing a true example of MIM/ or pot metal as we used to call it on our old chrome plated six guns/cap pistols we had in 1st grade. I still have a big box of rolls of "caps" in the barn. I found them a couple of years ago.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm with this thinking.
    You're seeing a true example of MIM/ or pot metal as we used to call it on our old chrome plated six guns/cap pistols we had in 1st grade. I still have a big box of rolls of "caps" in the barn. I found them a couple of years ago.

Lets hit them with a Hammer......what fun.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    I agree with churchmouse . . . looks totaled as it's not the stock that broke, but the receiver. Also agree with others . . . contact Remington and if you do have to replace it, get an 870.

John

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    Remington need to see this!!! Call CS and see what Remingtons Customer Service will do. Let us know. This is an opportunity for Remington to show us how they stand behind their products.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN

First and foremost, glad to see that you came out of the altercation on top. I would contact Remington customer service and get that started. I doubt there is any fix to it, just replacement with hopefully something more solid. The M877 line always felt a little cheap to me with their use of plastic, but hopefully Remington will stand behind their product.
    THIS. It wont hurt to ask Remington for help. The worst they can say is no. And the best they can do is say "No, no, no, no... you deserve a REAL shotty for your work. Here is an upgrade to an 870."

Thanks for your service, and here is hoping they take care of you.

PS I hope the perp came out of it in as many pieces. LOL

EDIT: that failing, turn it in to your brass/town council as an expensed item? You shouldnt have to shoulder that burden personally.
    Please tell me the damage was from a butt stroke.
    Remington need to see this!!! Call CS and see what Remingtons Customer Service will do. Let us know. This is an opportunity for Remington to show us how they stand behind their products.

I'll be on the phone this afternoon with Remington to see what they can do. As far as how it broke, sadly it was not a butt stroke lol. The fight went to the ground and sometime during the fight it snapped. I didn't even realize it was broke until the guy was in custody and my barrel/receiver was 3 feet away.

Very glad you are good to go.....but, what are the details regarding the altercation and the use of your personal shotgun? If you are able to share....inquiring minds would like to know.

Btw, no judgement on using your personal firearm. I carry my Colt 1911 on the job.

And the reasoning for carrying my personal shotgun at work, is due to my department not having any shotguns available. There are admin and detectives that keep their shotguns while guys on the road don't have any... Don't get me started, I'm going to buy filing a complaint this week about this same issue. I'm not the only guy using their personal long guns on the road.

As far as the conflict goes I'll give you what I think i can. We get a call for a violent domestic with a knife. Female is locked in a bedroom and a male is stabbing the walls trying to get in. We get there and knock and announce... The male comes out the front door but refused to comply with our orders. I have him a less lethal gun point and my partner has him at handgun point. At this point the guy has the knife concealed in his pocket. I advised my partner to taze him, due to me being to close to use less lethal shotgun per our department orders. My partner doesn't taze him but decides to go hands on.... Bad move on his point but it was heat of the moment. Anyways the fight was on at that point, my partner was on his back, bad guy in the middle, and me on top. Unknown at what point during the fight but my shotgun then broke off. Bad guy pulls the knife which I'm able to get away from him and throw. Back up arrives and we take him into custody.

Could have been a lethal shoot real quick but we were fighting on an edge of a balcony and a stairwell and quarters were extremely tight. Mistakes were made but nobody got seriously hurt and we all went home at the end of the night.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Less lethal explains the orange tape?

Yes they are bean bag rounds basically.

We have to have orange stocks or orange tape to mark less lethal from lethal shotguns for liability purposes I assume. I don't carry a lethal shotgun because I prefer the rifle but in case other officers need to grab the gun they'll know its less lethal.

Top Bottom