• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Knuckleduster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 25, 2017
    Monroeville
    I picked up a really nice pre 1975 Marlin 781 bolt action .22 the other day at a swap meet. The walnut stock needed some finish attention and the magazine tube had surface rust but other than that it is a very nice little rifle. I removed the stock and within an hour I was waiting for the oil finish to dry, I removed the magazine tube to ready it for a cold bluing, I stripped the factory blue and put it in the lathe for a "quick" spin to polish it before birchwood casey went to work.. (this is where it hit the fan).. The dowel rod that I chucked up on and centered in the tailstock to support the mag tube decided that it would be happier if it were in 2 pieces which essentially ruined the outer tube by twisting and bending the action end. So after watching it all go south I tried (and failed) to straighten it. My question is: What other marlin .22 uses a 21 & 5/8-11/16" magazine tube? I don't know if the older model 81's would swap or not. I am having a BEAR of a time finding one to replace it.

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    The outer mag tube on my early 60's Model 81 measures 21 1/2" and the inner tube measures 21 1/4+'' not including the plunger. I'm on the southside of Indy if you would like to take a look at it to see if it is the same. And no, I am not going to part this gun out. I am the original owner.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Been there-Done that...

I KNOW the feeling of doing a MINOR clean/repair, and have it turn into a LARGE problem..HA. HA. HA...

Sometimes I have to keep telling myself to KISS....Keep it SIMPLE Stupid...

In your case (after the fact) kind of makes some 0000 Steel wool, and oil look pretty good???

Now that I have made you feel better?? HA.., I have the same rifle in a .22 Magnum-The Marlin 783..You may? go that route for an outer mag tube, if you do not mind the slightly longer loading window on the tube..Bill.

Knuckleduster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 25, 2017
    Monroeville
    I wondered about the 783 magnum tube too. If the mounting rings are in the same location, the larger opening wouldn't be a huge issue. I will look to see what I can find.

Knuckleduster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 25, 2017
    Monroeville
    I don't know if that is a generic file pic that Numrich used or that is the actual photo. The one in the picture does not swedge down on the receiver end so it would not fit.

Top Bottom