• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jhart

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    greenwood
    Looking for recomendations on a good trap/skeet gun. Really dont wanna spend a ton as i just wanna shoot on occasion with dad and brother. Would prefer an over/under in 20 gauge so my girlfriend can shoot it to.

Lets say a budget of 450 ish

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    That is a tight budget for a good trap gun. I think you are looking at TriStar if you want new. You may have better luck shopping used.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Over and under are not cheap. New or used for that budget don't think it's possible. Not a quality one anyhow.

For that cash would go with a Benelli Nova. Shoot and have some fun. Comes with a handful of chokes, impervious to weather, easy to take apart and clean. Lot of bang for your buck.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    A Trap Gun and a Skeet Gun are 2 Different Guns. Trap= Long Barrel for a good sighting plane, Full Choke because the Targets are further away. Skeet Gun, Short so it's maneuverable with a more Open Choke because you are much closer to the Targets. An over/under is more prone to being moved around by Wind, High Dollar Guns have Split Barrels to overcome this. Look for an Autoloader you can change barrels on, also less Recoil for your Lady!

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Check out Indiana Gun Club for a huge selection of shotguns. For that price, you will be looking at used. Low end guns bring problems. You will do better with an autoloader in your price range. Get one that has different barrels still available and uses interchangeable choke tubes. For trap, a 30" with IM choke should do well. Skeet would be about 28" with skeet or IC choke. You said this was for a female so I'm going with shorter barrels for less weight/faster swing. For men it is normally a couple of inches longer.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    For the price range mentioned, I would be looking at a decent auto loader like a Stoeger with the inertia driven action designed by Benelli. If you really get serious about shooting trap you will want something much more expensive. Serious trap guns have to pretty much be custom fit for the individual shooter, longer barrel, often ported for recoil reduction and adjustabe stocks. I have shot a lot of trap over the years and have done pretty well with a variety of shotguns without dropping the coin for a true trap gun.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Wing master 870 (older model) and then buy the barrels you need. But my answer to all what shotgun to buy are always answered by rem 870 wingmaster (older model)

We agree. Flextab lifters are good, but other than that, older the better.

-Nate

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If it truly is occasional shooting, the aforementioned Stoeger or a CZ will work fine. But I agree that Trap and Skeet need two different guns for birds that fly very differently. I bought an O/U set up for Skeet but ended up liking Trap better. I tried to shoot Trap with my 28" barreled 20 ga and I just couldn't hit enough birds. Partly because I couldn't get on them fast enough. But the 12 gauge reached out a little further to help me with my slowness.:)

When I broke out my old "duck" gun autoloader in 12 ga, my scores went up immediately. And it too only had a 28" barrel with a fixed Modified choke.

However, I really wore that autoloader out. Prior to shooting Trap, that gun saw action during duck season period. So a couple of boxes per year and long stint where I was moving a lot and didn't shoot it at all. By the end of my second season of Trap I had a shotgun that went from pristine to kinda beat up though it still functioned fine.

If I do it again, I will buy a dedicated O/U. I just think the fewer moving parts makes for a more robust tool if you are going to shoot a lot. My CZ was fine and I would own one again if I only was to shoot occasionally. But if I got hooked and started shooting 6-8 rounds per week like I was, I'd have to spend more to feel comfortable with my firearm's longevity and durability.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Most of my trap has been w 1100 Trap or 1100 Magnum.
    Fair bit of shooting, guns never failed..........still look new.
    Tried to like the Citori Magnum I scored at a great price..........but it hit a little higher and I couldn't adapt.
    For fun I ran a 20 ga 21" mod choke 870 Special Field.
    Old crusties complained, said the little gun was too loud (they didn't wear ear protection).
    Did just fine from 16-20 yds.

Pops still has the 1100 Trap. The comb was Monte Carlo and taken down to almost field stock dims.

Last edited:

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Make up your mind for starters on what and who the gun is for. Everyone is talking about skeet vs. trap, yes they are different games but it's not "that" big if deal; especially not for a "casual" shooter.
    A bigger deal will likely be your expectations of 2 people using the gun. It's going to fit one of you and not the other unless you are freakishly equal in build, arm length, head size, eye position, etc.
    Shooting a shotgun in any clay sport that doesn't fit and can't be mounted to your sight line properly is nothing but frustrating and equals lots of missed targets and no fun.
    Your budget precludes you from anything but a good all purpose field gun IMO.

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    On top of what others have said, don't rule out a 12 gauge. Not much difference in felt recoil between a 12 and 20. Teaching proper shooting technique will allow almost everyone to shoot a 12 without a problem. I've bought a Beretta A300 for my wife and I to use for our occasional trap and skeet shooting and have been very happy wth it. My wife is a new shooter and has handled the 12 gauge like a champ!

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    If you are just looking for a trap gun I suggest the CZ 612 Trap. 32 inch ported barrel w/ a raised vent rib and a monte carlo stock. Ive seen them at Cabelas for $450. I love mine its has some nice wood also. If you are looking for a trap gun cz makes some affordable guns that would fit that bill also.

spankys56

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    NWI
    Look into a used 11-87 premier on gb or etc. You may have to get just a little more $$ together but well worth it. The premier will be a pre freedom group 11-87 that will handle 3" shells and you can set it up how you want for any application down the road. I don't trust much of anything new anymore from Remington or any other name the freedom has their hands in.

PolishBulldog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 22, 2018
    Portage
    I know a guy at work that bought an ATI shotgun for about $350. I don't know much about it but seems like a decent starter package to where you don't have a big investment if you find you aren't that interested.

Top Bottom