• ...and so much more!
  • Rburney

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 15, 2017
    Avon
    I recently acquired an old French military rifle. It appears to be a Berthier carbine. I don’t know all that much about it but it is all numbers matching and is in very good condition. I know - it is in good condition because it is a French military rifle- never fired and dropped once. Lol. Even the stock has matching numbers. The price was way to good to pass up.
    View attachment 61843 View attachment 61844

I am looking someone that that knows what some of the markings might be. What I think is that it was manufactured at the MAC plant and based off the inspectors mark it was manufactured before 1903 but also has a MAC 1939 stamp. The site I looked at said that many of the earlier guns were sent back to the factory to be reworked. Looking for someone who might know more about these guns than what I read about them.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    That is a really nice carbine you have there. I have the longer Infantry rifle version. They are 8x50R Lebel caliber and use a stripper clip. I would guess the carbine was made in 1903 and refurbished in 1939. It could have seen action in both world wars. I am sure someone will be along shortly who knows more about it than I do. We have some serious surplus rifle collectors on INGO.

Rburney

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 15, 2017
    Avon
    That is a really nice carbine you have there. I have the longer Infantry rifle version. They are 8x50R Lebel caliber and use a stripper clip. I would guess the carbine was made in 1903 and refurbished in 1939. It could have seen action in both world wars. I am sure someone will be along shortly who knows more about it than I do. We have some serious surplus rifle collectors on INGO.
    Thank you. I figured I could not go wrong for $150.

Warrior1354

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 25, 2017
    Carthage
    Thats a steal. Its quite rare too find Berthier carbines reworked this late being MAS36 production was in full swing. You find many MAS36 wartime made rifles with 1939 and 1940 roundel date stock stamps. But not Berthier carbines this late. When I had my Berthier carbine before I sold it. It was reworked in November of 1939. Think about that date France would fall just seven months later. And on a side note many of these rifles were used in France by German occupation troops. The clips and ammo for these can be found on Libertytreecollecters.com if you wish you shoot this carbine.

Rburney

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 15, 2017
    Avon
    Thank you wolfhound, Indy1919a4 and Warrior1354 for the info. I am really pleased with it so far and I do plan on shooting this gun.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I love Berthiers! PPU (Prvi Parizan) makes commercial ammo for them too, which is reloadable (I reload for mine). It's hit or miss on Sportsman's Guide, but when the stars align and they have free shipping and the ammo is in stock I usually try and pick up a box or two. I'm perpetually on their "Notify Me" list when it comes in stock.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Nice little graphic that shows how that little trap door works...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNbKsC8Kqcc

Ok this gets a little long in the tooth.. but there is some neat info ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrKN31COHxY

p_0094.jpg

Last edited:

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    Nice find! That stock is nicer looking than mine. Mine was probably dropped from a higher level :>).

Mine is also older and uses the 3 round clip. I have an "N" stamp on mine which, as I understand it, means it was tested at some point to use modern ammo.

I did check the head spacing with gauges on mine before firing, and all was good.

Enjoy!

Ron

Last edited:
    Top Bottom