Any 1898 Springfield Experts in INGO-land?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    My Dad has an 1898 Springfield chambered in .30-40 Krag. By the serial number I know it was made in 1901 and started life as a rifle with a 30 inch barrel.

Like so many it became a carbine at some point. From the research I've done it has the original rear sight and everything else looks original. It has a banded front sight, but unlike many that received a 1903 Springfield front sight after being converted from rifle to carbine, this one has a Krag front sight. In all my searching around the Interwebz I did not see a Krag with a front sight like this.

Thoughts?

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    That appears to me to be a normal Krag front sight and the Model 1901 Krag rear sight. I think it probably had the stock cut down to make a hunting rifle, but is otherwise a correct original rifle. Do you have any other questions, or were you just wondering about the sights?

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Thanks Rob and DD. The front sight was my question since I saw lots of pics with the banded 1903 sight on the converted carbines but none like this. The gun has more family value than anything. My Grandpa traded fixing someone's car for the gun ages ago.

Warrior1354

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 25, 2017
    Carthage
    The fate of many Krag rifles. They were very popular back in the day for hunting when many of these rifles were sold on the civilian market as surplus. If your ever in the market for a real Krag carbine they were made in certain serial number ranges. Would highly recommend some good research books before buying one though. Quite popular and expensive.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Looks like it may be a "Bannerman" Krag coverted to a hunting rifle...Those are neat...

Gee Its always Bannerman this Bannerman that*** Most likely that was done by your Pals at the NRA. Do not make be pull out the Documentation..

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Hey Kellyinavon old Indiucky really has me fired up and I am in a mood... And before I have to say something to my learned opponent Doggydaddy, let me ask you a question when you are talking about your front sight are you referencing how your front sight has the thin blade that is on a ring that is on your barrel orare are you just talking about just the blade itself.. Barrel ring be damned... :)

thin blade
    images

9k=

thicker blade

images

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Hey Kellyinavon old Indiucky really has me fired up and I am in a mood... And before I have to say something to my learned opponent Doggydaddy, let me ask you a question when you are talking about your front sight are you referencing how your front sight has the thin blade that is on a ring that is on your barrel orare are you just talking about just the blade itself.. Barrel ring be damned... :)

thin blade
    images

9k=

thicker blade

images
    It has the thin blade. See post #3

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Just to review: Bannerman, Bannerman, Bannerman!! My Dad's 1898 Springfield Carbine was made in 1901, so I should just yell BANNERMAN a lot?

Top Bottom