• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nascarfantoo

Master
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Not my year for muzzleloader functionality. Was having issue so bad with a CVA Optima that I purchased a T/C Triumph. The Optima is now headed back to CVA for repair and the Triumph is in hand.

Finally found a Weaver scope rail that is made for the Triumph. Rail will not pull tight to the barrel. Screws bottom out before getting rail tight. Thinking (hoping) it might be the Weaver rail, I found a new Leupold rail. It too will not pull tight against the barrel. Again screws bottom out.

Now I am beginning to believe the problem is the screw holes in the barrel are not drilled/tapped deep enough. So what are my options?

1) Send back to T/C to have screw holes checked/repaired.
    2) Find a local gunsmith that can check/repair the screw holes.
    3) Shim under the rail. I have never heard of anyone doing this, but maybe it is a viable option. Anybody have experience doing this?

Thinking option one probably makes most sense. Still under warranty.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Pull the rail off and see how many threads deep the holes are. Might be as simple as shortening the screws with a belt sander or Dremel. as long as you get several turns into the holes, I would shorten the screws. Loctite the screws when you install the base and you should be good to go.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If you're getting enough threads into the receiver to hold the rail securely you can either shorten the screws or bed the rail, or both.

M67

Grandmaster
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Agreed. If you have enough threads in the barrel just shorten the screws and loctite the base

If you don't need the gun for this season and not in a rush for it sending it back to TC for them to deepen the holes might not be a bad option. Might not be super quick but would be a warranty repair for sure

I doubt it but are the holes and threads clean? No loctite, grease, bluing salts holding up the screw from bottoming out?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I scored a great deal on a used TC Contender .223 Super 14 bbl because the prev owner had a problem with it.

Weaver base was on, wouldn't snug........had a lot of Loctite on it too.

Maybe wrong screw length? Base was scratched so I got a new one.
    Torched Loctite from holes...........new screws/base.............same issue.

Took 1-1.5 threads off per screw.

Holes were "shallow". Had plenty of engagement with the shortened screws.

Shot tiny groups :)

midget

Master
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    My T/C came with screws that had loctite already on them. When I went to thread in the screws for the scope base, I noticed the same thing. I took a pick and dug the junk out of the holes and then they were good to go.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I cleaned the holes on my "bargain barrel" and the new base's screws were still too long.
    Checked to make sure the new base screws were same length as the old ones.........they were.
    Ground a little off and worked fine.
    My problem was on TC's end.........and not really a problem.
    Surprised the guy that had it before didn't figure it out.

Eh, I scored a Rem 1100 with whole new trigger group and bolt.........that was a single shot.
    Snap ring for interrupter missing.
    $3 to fix it right.

Problem solving skills.............not everybody has them.

Top Bottom