• ...and so much more!
  • T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    That's a big plus in my book, not because of the potential increase in capacity, but an increase in reliability. From my experience and from what I've read a few years back, those American mags are not the best.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I'd rather they have made the rifle compatible with RPR 223 magazines...take advantage of that 1:8 twist with bullets that load longer than an AR magazine allows.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    It appears there is also now a AI-mag compatable Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor...and they apparently discontinued the 223 version of the RPR (sku 18019).

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, seems like it was only going to be a matter of time before the mass producers adopted some of the specialty chassis type market. Kinda like how home hot rods influence(s) the car manufacturers.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Man, I'd love to get one of these fancy pants rifles.... if they bothered to make one left handed (other than the lame base model). I get that use left handers are a small minority, but come on Ruger. You already made the damn action. Just put it on a gun I'd actually want to buy.

Oh well, I guess it's just semi-autos and machineguns for me.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I was really eyeballing the Ruger Ranch in 7.62 because of the mini 30 mags. Now this. I have been toying with the idea of adding a lightweight bolt rifle or 18” AR to the safe. This might fit the bill nicely.

I also like like the idea of the new takedown PCC that accepts glock mags. Decisions, decisions.

Edit: They also have it in 300 BlackOut. Oh man!

Last edited:

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Edit: They also have it in 300 BlackOut. Oh man!

Yep, they do: https://ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/specSheets/26968.html

So that begs a few questions. Given that I just bought a used Ruger American Ranch in .300 BLK and I hate the crappy mag...
    Is it feasible to switch to the new stock (when it is available as a part) so I can gain the advantage of using standard mags?
    IOW, are the mags typically married to the stock or are they married to the barrel/receiver assembly?

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yep, they do: https://ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/specSheets/26968.html

So that begs a few questions. Given that I just bought a used Ruger American Ranch in .300 BLK and I hate the crappy mag...
    Is it feasible to switch to the new stock (when it is available as a part) so I can gain the advantage of using standard mags?
    IOW, are the mags typically married to the stock or are they married to the barrel/receiver assembly?

Great question! I would think the magazine is part of the stock. Can you take yours apart and get us some pictures.

How long until MagPul or somebody offers an aftermarket solution? Maybe they already do?

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County

$300 for a plastic stock. Ouch! That's as much as I paid for the whole riffle!
    Please Magpul...give me one of these for the RAR 300 BLK: https://www.magpul.com/products/bolt-action-magazine-well---hunter-700-stock

Also, I will plead ignorance on the meaning of this footnote: "Rifles that use smaller or larger cartridge cases will require the customer to separately purchase an AICS pattern compatible magazine of their choice."

What does that mean?

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    STFU said:
    Also, I will plead ignorance on the meaning of this footnote: "Rifles that use smaller or larger cartridge cases will require the customer to separately purchase an AICS pattern compatible magazine of their choice."

What does that mean?

That means the Pmag 7.62 AC that the Magpul DBM comes with will NOT work with a 223/300BLK case, as it is designed for a 308 Winchester-sized case. AR-pattern magazines will not work with the Magpul DBM, either.

The Ruger AICS-pattern 223 magazine, (sku 90562, runs $25-30 per) however, should work just fine in a Magpul DBM.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have to agree with STFU. $300 is a little salty to replace the stock on a $400 Rifle. He would be better off to sell me his rifle (at a discounted price) and buy the new factory option. :cool:

Top Bottom