• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Any muzzleloader guys around? Now that hunting season is about wrapped up, it’s time to start converting an old Remington 700ml to a 209 system and start working up some new loads. My primary muzzleloader is a smokeless savage, so I’m kind of spoiled with the cleaning aspect of muzzle loading. I’d like to have a second gun for my dad and/or son to use during next season thats as low maintenance as possible. I’ve read quite a bit about blackhorn 209, especially how clean it’s supposed to be compared to pyrodex or 777. Has anyone actually used it and able to give some real feedback? Thanks!

jamesb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I use it in my T/C 50 cal. I load a 45 cal sabot over 80 grains. It is very accurate. Cleans up easy with hoppes. At the range after every shot I pull the breach plug and blow down the barrel. Every ten I run a wet patch down then a dry. I never get much if any fouling. It cleans up like a dirty smokeless round. It is not as corrosive as pyrodex or 777 but I always clean it if I shot it during the season so cannot tell you if it will rust up as fast as those 2.
    Jim

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    A good cleaning before long term storage is no problem. More wondering about need to clean after multiple shots, for both accuracy sake and corrosion after a day or two.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I use it in my Encore and won’t use anything else. It’s super clean compared to pyrodex or 777. I sighted in my new vortex, hunted with it last season and left it loaded all summer long. It went boom when I verified zero this season. I use standard 209 primers not the muzzleloader 209s. Hardly any smoke at all. Be aware, you have to measure the charge by weight like smokeless and not by volume like black powder. I use their tubes and weigh out 20 shots at a time.

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    I use it in my CVA and won't use anything else. It is expensive, but worth the price.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I like IMR White Hot pellets.
    They are much cleaner than anything else I've ever used, but I've never tried Black Horn.

The White Hots clean up is a breeze, and Ive fired 3 or 4 shots before swabbing, and probably could have gone a couple more.
    The White Hots are just slightly more expensive than 777 or Pyrodex, and harder to find at times, but I like them enough to go out of my way to locate them.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I like IMR White Hot pellets.
    They are much cleaner than anything else I've ever used, but I've never tried Black Horn.

The White Hots clean up is a breeze, and Ive fired 3 or 4 shots before swabbing, and probably could have gone a couple more.
    The White Hots are just slightly more expensive than 777 or Pyrodex, and harder to find at times, but I like them enough to go out of my way to locate them.

Same here. I tried BH after using 777. Clean up might have been a little better but not like White Hots. I can’t say I did enough testing though. I think, like any other reloading, finding the right component combination is key. I don’t remember what primers I tried with BH. I just lucked out trying White Hots and the Winchester 777 primers and loved that combo.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I use Blackhorn in my CVA Optima. 90 gr and a 300 gr. Hornady XTP saboted. I clean it different than Pyrodex and blackpowder. The soap and water didn't work as well, so I did a little internet digging and found guys had good luck cleaning it just like their smokeless powder guns. I used Bore tech Eliminator and it cleaned it well.
    Some guys had trouble getting it to fire on certain 209 primers. I use standard shotgun primers, not the ones for ML and updated the breech plug to the One designed for Blackhorn.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I use it in my Encore and won’t use anything else. It’s super clean compared to pyrodex or 777. I sighted in my new vortex, hunted with it last season and left it loaded all summer long. It went boom when I verified zero this season. I use standard 209 primers not the muzzleloader 209s. Hardly any smoke at all. Be aware, you have to measure the charge by weight like smokeless and not by volume like black powder. I use their tubes and weigh out 20 shots at a time.

If this is the case why does the load data show both volume and weight data?

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    I shoot 90gr of BH209 in my older .50 Knight rifle under a 240gr XTP. I was shooting 100gr of Pyrodex with the same bullet and tried that with the Black Horn, but found that backing down ten grains gave me better accuracy.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    I just ordered 2 dozen 240g 40cal Dead Center bullets from prbullets out of Canada. Once the temp climbs 20 degrees I’ll start working up a BH loaf for the Remington. I switched to the 260g version of this same bullet for my savage and couldn’t have been more impressed.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Finding a bottle of this stuff is proving more difficult than imagined. Anyone know where a bottle is sitting on a shelf?

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Might help to know your location to be able to point you in the right direction. I believe Cabelas in Noblesville had some not too long ago.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Sorry, location would be helpful. I frequently travel Indy to the south, often in Columbus, Terre haute, Evansville, Bloomington areas.

randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Sorry, location would be helpful. I frequently travel Indy to the south, often in Columbus, Terre haute, Evansville, Bloomington areas.
    You might try Dave's gun shop in Holland. He had it last time I was there . Also the Great Outdoors in Jasper had it this past fall.

Top Bottom