• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Been thinking of picking up a new 308 and since I stand and blind hunt only I was wondering if I should get a heavy barrel. I have always shot heavier gun better and if ever decided to punch a bunch of paper I would assume that it would be more accurate at range. Anyone hunt with a heavy barrel and which would you recommend? Right now I see savage makes a LE gun that takes a mag and allows for a screw on suppresor.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Most hunters in Indiana dont walk miles on end hunting, so I see no reason not to go heavy. I'm building a hunting rifle now with a light barrel. I'm doing that so I cant take it out west if the opportunity arises.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    For hunting I go light. Unless you're splatting doggies out west I see zero reason for a heavy barrel hunter.
    Practicality tells me I'm not going to repeat shots until I heat up a barrel hunting.
    I hunt and I've been hunting for decades all over this country and a bit outside of our borders as well. NEVER found the need for a heavy barrel hunter except for a trip shooting prairie dogs once. Next trip out there I had a heavy barrel for that hunt in particular.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I hunted a bit this year with heavy barrel 308. From a ground blind overlooking a large bean field. I used it because it was my most accurate 250 yard deer caliber. Weight was immaterial.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I bought a Bergara HMR is 308 and love it so far. Has everything you need on it out of the box, just throw a scope on it and youre good to go. It comes threaded as well if you want to suppress it.

Buds price matched a Cabelas sale price I sent them and got mine for 870 after transfer fees.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I hunt with a heavy barreled and suppressed Remington 700 sometimes. It's great at distance (it's my long range target gun too) but it sucks to carry around. If I am still hunting or hunting over long distances, it is great. If I'm going out west or doing a push and walking, I just take a lighter gun.

If you only get one hunting rifle, I'm not sure I'd pick a heavy barrel. But if you have options, one heavy and one light rifle makes for a nice combo.

I'm partial to the Remington 700, and if you want to go that route, an inexpensive way to make a good shooter is to buy a 700 ADL. Replace the trash stock and box mag with Magpul drop in stock and mag kit, and the result is a very nice rifle, albeit a little heavy.

DapperDan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    I’ve hunted the last two years with my Remington 700 aac-sd, has the 20” heavy barrel. I don’t have to walk too far to any of my stands but they are across a creek and also up hill. I don’t have any issues carrying it nor find it over weight while hiking in. The barrel is also threaded. Not sure the price difference between it and the savage but definitely worth taking a look at.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I don't think most hunters in Indiana have a big long hike to get to their stands, so for getting in or out I don't see it making much difference. Once you get to your blind or stand you're pretty much just going to be sitting there until it's time to shoot or go home so it's not going to make much difference there either.

This was my setup for the 2017 hunting season.
    BhHC7HC.jpg

Basically I got to my ground blind about a 5 - 10 minute walk from the back door and set my rifle up on three dowel rods I'd used paracord to lash together for shooting sticks. For what I did, a heavy or short barrel wouldn't have made much difference.

Like others have said though if I go out west, and I certainly plan to, I'd buy a much lighter rifle. Back in '15 I deer hunted in Wisconsin with a 24" heavy barreled 30-06 and I was going up and down hills with that pig just hating every pound of it, until I sat down and had a big view of a wide open field. Then I was glad to have a rifle I was exceptionally familiar with at long range shooting.

If you're going to have one gun, get whatever you like and you'll be happy. If you're going to get a range gun that also goes hunting then that heavy barreled option would be nice. If you're going to use the rifle for long hunts with some hikes, then I'd lean towards the lighter rifle. For general Indiana use though, I think either will serve you fine.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Weight is no concern. Get the HB since you want it to be a multi use rifle. I wish you luck on that price point, at least new anyway. Might get lucky and find a used one.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'd wait just a bit longer if you can. Shot show is coming up soon and Savage in particular has a new "accu-fit" stock coming out that may interest you. You may see something new coming out at Shot show this year that may get your attention.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    The inside of the barrel matters far more than the outside and a bias for better balance and handling grants many favors regardless of the platform one is firing from.

In the $600 range a T3 Lite is hard to top in a hunting role.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    My rifle is 12ish lbs with suppressor and optic. I still hunt as well as trek about 800 yards to my stand. It really isn't a problem with a decent sling.

Top Bottom