• Which caliber for coyotes?

• Total voters

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    This season, I've passed on quite a few shots because I wasn't sure if my groups were tight enough to take the shot. This is my fault, but this summer I'm going to fix that. My plan is to get a bunch of different bullets, see what my gun likes, and go from there. However, I stumbled on the 204 Ruger. Now, I'm undecided.

So, help me out. Which caliber? 22-250 is not an option - it has to be AR-15 friendly.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Honestly I would just load up with 77gr 5.56 and run with it that particular round has plenty of reach and should drop a coyote just fine and still be relatively cheap

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I'm not a 204 fan. There is a fairly new caliber called the 224 valkrie I've been briefly looking at that you might want to check out. Really good ballistics, and fits in the ar platform.

I haven't done enough research to form much on a opinion, and I'm not saying this is a end all be all caliber, Im saying it's worth a look.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'm not a 204 fan. There is a fairly new caliber called the 224 valkrie I've been briefly looking at that you might want to check out. Really good ballistics, and fits in the ar platform.

I haven't done enough research to form much on a opinion, and I'm not saying this is a end all be all caliber, Im saying it's worth a look.

I've looked at that. So far, all I've seen is the 100 grain and how awesome it is at 1,000+ yards. I've been looking for something on the 60 grain varmint, but I haven't seen anything. The only thing that had me interested in the 204 was how flat it shoots, but it's also a mid 30 grain bullet.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Honestly I would just load up with 77gr 5.56 and run with it that particular round has plenty of reach and should drop a coyote just fine and still be relatively cheap

I've never messed with 77 grain - is that going to blow it up? Right now, with the 55 grain, I can sell the fur which covers the bullets...

Also, fairly cheap doesn't bother me. With what I've got in the rifle and scope, and the fact that I'm not shooting 1,000's of rounds, I'm not going to worry about bullet cost.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My new coyote rifle is a .223. I've killed a few with .223 and it's plenty capable but I've also passed several opportunities due to accuracy concerns with prior AR15 builds which is why I have a new coyote rifle. This one won't be lacking in the accuracy department. :D

You get reasonable barrel life, components and ammo selection is plentiful and recoil is minimal (important for that pricey thermal) which allows for quick follow up shots. There are calibers which will probably make them deader I reckon but all things considered I think the .223 is the best overall choice.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    My new coyote rifle is a .223. I've killed a few with .223 and it's plenty capable but I've also passed several opportunities due to accuracy concerns with prior AR15 builds which is why I have a new coyote rifle. This one won't be lacking in the accuracy department. :D

You get reasonable barrel life, components and ammo selection is plentiful and recoil is minimal (important for that pricey thermal) which allows for quick follow up shots. There are calibers which will probably make them deader I reckon but all things considered I think the .223 is the best overall choice.

Exactly. I had one the other night at about 175. I passed because I wasn't confident in my set up. I hate doing that!

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I've never messed with 77 grain - is that going to blow it up? Right now, with the 55 grain, I can sell the fur which covers the bullets...

Also, fairly cheap doesn't bother me. With what I've got in the rifle and scope, and the fact that I'm not shooting 1,000's of rounds, I'm not going to worry about bullet cost.

68 or 77 gr match 5.56mm imo, what's your rifle again? I've used 55 gr 5.56 so far and it works great, good enough groups too.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Why? Does it shoot flatter? More reach?

Flatter, faster, and a little bit bigger than the 17hmr. It is really efficient about transferring energy and not destroying the pelts. I regularly shoot mine at 150 yards holding under 2" patterns. Plus it is lighter than my ar's. I've only been able to shoot out to 200 which is a chip shot with this round from a heavy barreled bmag.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I've looked at that. So far, all I've seen is the 100 grain and how awesome it is at 1,000+ yards. I've been looking for something on the 60 grain varmint, but I haven't seen anything. The only thing that had me interested in the 204 was how flat it shoots, but it's also a mid 30 grain bullet.

They make factory ammo in a 60 grain nosler bullet, or you can load it however you prefer.

http://www.federalpremium.com/224-valkyrie/

You better be better at reading the wind than I am trying to shoot much distance with a 30 grain bullet. Flat is nice, but ill take more drop, and less wind any day of the week.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I think if I wanted to move away from a 556 for a yote rifle, the 224 V would be exactly where I would land.

Keeping with ar15's I completely agree. I've had a build sitting in my cart on JPRifles since they added them to the lineup, but I am kind of waiting to see what price the LaRue offerings are going to come in at.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I think if I wanted to move away from a 556 for a yote rifle, the 224 V would be exactly where I would land.

Keeping with ar15's I completely agree. I've had a build sitting in my cart on JPRifles since they added them to the lineup, but I am kind of waiting to see what price the LaRue offerings are going to come in at.

Yeah, I've been very interested in that round. I'm waiting to see what the 60 grain vmax does. The other thing I'm waiting on is barrel length. Since I'm running a suppressor, I don't want a really long barrel.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Yeah, I've been very interested in that round. I'm waiting to see what the 60 grain vmax does. The other thing I'm waiting on is barrel length. Since I'm running a suppressor, I don't want a really long barrel.

Yeah, the 17wsm runs pretty quiet on the thunderbeast 22 takedown. Still in jail but I got to hear it after I had the work done, but cannot speak for accuracy as it was a shot into a close berm. It is probably as lightweight and quiet as you can get while still being effective at 250 - 300 yards tho. The 224valk will outshoot almost all of the fields I hunt so mine would be a range toy, my 30cal suppressor is a bit on the heavy end to think about carting it around a field on the end of a 18 - 20 inch barrel. The testing I've seen with the 224valk has all been 18"+. I'm ok with that on a bolt gun but ar15's get to be pretty unwieldy once you start putting cans on the end of 20" barrels.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

I found a 20 inch, but can't remember where. If I did one I'd use a 20 inch barrel. Like green, I've built one in shopping carts a few times, I just keep rolling back to "If it ain't broke dont fix it"

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I found a 20 inch, but can't remember where. If I did one I'd use a 20 inch barrel. Like green, I've built one in shopping carts a few times, I just keep rolling back to "If it ain't broke dont fix it"

It is tough to press the checkout button this early knowing all of the heavy hitters are releasing rifles chambered in 224 soon.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    I have been contemplating the same question. I am going to do my first custom AR build with precision type varminting in mind. I’ve been reading a lot and always follow Phylo’s builds for insight/ideas.

The Valkyrie is very intriguing. 6mm Hager is intriguing. Currently I am not a reload-er. So, it would be nice to be able to buy match grade ammo right off the shelf/interwebs.

My bolt gun is a 204 and for the most part I am happy with its performance. It would be nice to be able to shoot a heavier grain bullet. In a perfect world, I suppose the 22-250 would be exactly what I am looking for, but since we are talking AR builds, it’s a no go.

Top Bottom