• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kevinslaterjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2018
    South bend
    Im relatively new to shotguns and new to these forums, so I hope I don't sound like a complete idiot here.
    My dad just recently gave me my grandfathers Browning SAS. My plan is to take apart and try to revive it so to speak.
    I doubt i ever will fire it, but if i decided to, would it be safe?? And by safe i mean, how much impact does steel shot vs. lead shot have on the gun?
    Do you have ammo recommendations?

Im guessing this has been a forum topic before, but any help is appreciated. thanks!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I am pretty familiar with firearms of that vintage and I am not familiar with SAS from Browning...Is it perhaps an A5 or a "Humpback" Browning??? Is it an Over under????

I.E. This??????

maxresdefault.jpg

Or this???

q_Mi5c8w_original.jpg

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    To be safe for sure, I would not fire steel shot in any shotgun built before the advent of steel shot. Barrel metal may be too soft to handle hard steel shot.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I am pretty familiar with firearms of that vintage and I am not familiar with SAS from Browning...Is it perhaps an A5 or a "Humpback" Browning??? Is it an Over under????

I.E. This??????

maxresdefault.jpg

Or this???

q_Mi5c8w_original.jpg

You always have the coolest stuff!!

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have multiple rifles from WWI and they are just fine to shoot. As long as there is no obvious metallurgical damage it should be good to go.

I have also fired ammunition from pre WWII, WWII, and the 50's. All of this is fine as well, but don't expect to win any long range target contests. The olde stuff isn't as accurate as the new. With the olde military ammo be 100% certain to clean the bore after every use with any cleaner that will neutralize the corrosive ammo. All that aside, it is fun to shoot and reasonably accurate out to 100 yards.

If you get into the WWII era British stuff avoid the Pakistani ammo along with the British ammo with cordite. I have some and it will go off but is nowhere near as reliable as other ammo from the same era.

Regards,

Doug

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Wow this is good info
    It is full choke with no O/U
    Its actually manufactured by Remington under a Browning patent and is the humpback design
    The only visible structure flaw i can really see is a crack in the stock but i havent looked at the internals yet
    again, new shotguns...where would one find ammo that wont kill my gun?

IS yours the Remington Model 11 then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aX4W4HVo_U

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Wow this is good info
    It is full choke with no O/U
    Its actually manufactured by Remington under a Browning patent and is the humpback design
    The only visible structure flaw i can really see is a crack in the stock but i havent looked at the internals yet
    again, new shotguns...where would one find ammo that wont kill my gun?
    Any modern smokeless powder load with lead shot is fine for your grandfathers Remington, those are stout actions but steer clear of any steel loads you run the risk of a barrel bulge or worse. Numrich gun parts has anything you need to get and keep it running have fun with it.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Yes remington 11
    Thanks all for the info

My first pheasant hunt I carried a Model 11. A big cock came up and I fired on him. Five rounds came out of that gun quicker than hurry up. The barrel was pointing straight up by the last shot. I was 12 and it was my first time with a semi auto shotgun.
    I would't shoot steel shot in them but I would't worry about much else shell wise.
    You can use the Browning break down videos for reassembly and maintenance. You can also use the Browning procedures for low and high power shell use.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Was made to hunt ducks and pheasant with game loads. Featherlites probably wouldn't cycle the action proper. Stick with standard velocity lead and it should be fine. Clean and lube it first.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I haven't shot anything older than 1817 so I can't speak to older arms. Fire what they fired at the time and you should be good to go. IANAGS.

Top Bottom