• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I have been lusting after a Savage 99 lever gun for a while now and I finally got one. It's not the prettiest girl in the room but she is still sexy.
    This is a 1972 model 99E in .308 with the cheaper stocks on it. Some one refinished them before and sanded them down too much so I may replace them someday. For now I just want to shoot it and get to know it. The weather sucks so it will have to wait a little while be fore I can shoot it. This one has a 20" barrel and it is pretty light. I will also replace the scope with something more appropriate later on.
    20180113_155720_zpsss9zbrsm.jpg

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Whoa.

I had not heard of a .308 lever action.

Dammit, INGO, now I want one.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Ohhhhhhh the savage 99. Nice pick up even the 99e version.
    Sweet shooters they are sweet.

T lex browning makes the BLR in many calibers 308 22-250 30-06 ect. Detachable mags with them also.

randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Nice piece, randy. I have always liked a ghost ring on the Model 99. Maybe something from XS?
    Yep. I haven't ruled out a peep sight but will probably go with a vintage Leupold or Weaver scope. Most of my hunting shots are under a hundred yards so even open sights would work if needed.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yep. I haven't ruled out a peep sight but will probably go with a vintage Leupold or Weaver scope. Most of my hunting shots are under a hundred yards so even open sights would work if needed.

That compact Leupold is fantastic. Got one last year.

VXR "Patrol" 1.75X-4X by 20mm. It has the towers on it with very positive clicks which my deaf ass can hear and I can run with gloves.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I . . . just . . . I just don't know who you are sometimes. *sobs hysterically* I thought you were gun geek . . . just like me. *more sobbing*

Many manufacturers have lever action .308s, including my Sako.

In my defense, for most of my life I've been a military gun guy. :D

Now, later in life, I'm finding all these hunting/lever action holes in my gun geekery.

Like, someone who was a Star Trek geek all their life finally becoming mesmerized with the Marvel Cinematic Universe. :D

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    I had one in a 99f version. It had a 22"barrel tho. It liked 150g hornady's all day long. If i didnt convert to a 243win man, i would still have it. They are still dang good guns.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Nice gun! I have a Winchester .308 lever action. I purchased it from a Co-worker several years ago. Can't remember the model, think it is an "88". It had been stored in an attic for several years and had a little rust spot on the outside of the Muzzle, it has now been hot blued. Mine has a box mag (3 shot I think). It also came with a scope with a very odd mount. The scope "tips out" to use the iron sights, didn't think it would be accurate but the scope actually repeats perfectly. Never see a scope mount like it. Been a while since I have shot it. As I recall it is pretty accurate.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Certian level guns (savage 99, BLR, win 88 ect) are basically bolt action style rifles without the bolt action. They will be as accurate as a Bolt Day in day out. With the browning you have a very weird trigger setup which effects things a bit but a few (only a few ) gunsmiths can take care of that. You start going back to the re introduced classic levers and they can be accurate also but there are more things that can effect the accuracy like barrel bands wood touching barrels and warping of said wood. Cutting dovetails into barrels poorly causing the inside diameter to be effected a small amount. The classics were minute of deer made. Some of the others were far ahead of there time in the way they got made Savage 99 being one. If we had a war during the classic lever action hey day we might have had a lever action military rifle. The one thing they don’t do well is rechamber rounds with your belly on the ground. So the bolt action took over from the lever at the point.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Older ones had rotary. Later versions had detach mag.
    I'd like a lightweight, factory D&T w high comb stock.........in .250 or .300 Sav.
    Had an EG and it was pretty cool, but not D&T and I figured if left "alone" since 1935 it should stay that way.
    Addind a Lightfoot custom scope mount (uses tang holes and rear sight dovetail...........and a scope.............the rifle lost it's charm handling wise.
    So I took the mount/optics off and sold it.
    That gun w a peep would still feel and look right.

Earlier triggers reportedly diff mech and better pull. The one I had was usable.
    Saw a lightweight, .308..........missing mag for good price.
    The trigger was between horrid and California approved.

Passed on it.

See what else comes along..........they are cool rigs.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Remember, Henry makes a lever gun in .243 win and .308 win nowadays.
    The bolt throw seems huge.
    99's are cool in that movement is within the receiver.
    Guess some of the oldies would crack, can be repaired. Dunno much about that, just ran across some redone ones.
    Today's metallurgy..........it's be cool to see it (99) made again.
    I'd buy one in .35 rem ;)

randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Those rifles have an interesting rotary magazine, correct? With a round count window?

This one is the "E" series has the internal rotary mag system but no round counter. The older ones had the round counter and the "C" series had the detachable box magazine.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Damn, I just sold mine in .300 Savage at the 1500 over the weekend.

Older ones had rotary. Later versions had detach mag.
    I'd like a lightweight, factory D&T w high comb stock.........in .250 or .300 Sav.
    Had an EG and it was pretty cool, but not D&T and I figured if left "alone" since 1935 it should stay that way.
    Addind a Lightfoot custom scope mount (uses tang holes and rear sight dovetail...........and a scope.............the rifle lost it's charm handling wise.
    So I took the mount/optics off and sold it.
    That gun w a peep would still feel and look right.

Earlier triggers reportedly diff mech and better pull. The one I had was usable.
    Saw a lightweight, .308..........missing mag for good price.
    The trigger was between horrid and California approved.

Passed on it.

See what else comes along..........they are cool rigs.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    The 99's are so very handy they make excellent small game rifles with quiet wheel weights.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom