• ...and so much more!
  • SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Anyone else like H&R Handi Rifles? They went out of production back in 2014 and are getting harder to find.

Mine is a taper barrel in .223. It has a 1/12 twist barrel and is very accurate with 45-52 grain reloads. Put an older Weaver 4x scope on it. Also has a sling & butt-stock ammo pouch. Used a rubber O-ring around the forearm stud, to free-float the barrel. It's a great little rifle for busting groundhogs.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Great little rifles. I shot my first deer with a 12 gauge topper. Later I got a .223 1/12 twist handi rifle, and fitted a .44 magnum barrel to the frame. My son took his first deer with it. It's a shame they got gobbled up in the H&R/ marlin/Remington debacle.

I also did the O-ring trick, and the .44 and .223 barrels are very accurate ( as long as I keep .223s to under 55 gr.)

Great rifles to teach youngsters on! Make every shot count!

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Henry is supposed to be coming out with a single shot centerfire rifle like the Handi-Rifle. It is in their current catalog and the NRA has written a review on it. Have not seen one in the wild.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2017/12/20/tested-henry-single-shot-shotguns-and-rifles/

henry_002_henryssrs_w_rifles_01s.jpg

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Henry is supposed to be coming out with a single shot centerfire rifle like the Handi-Rifle. It is in their current catalog and the NRA has written a review on it. Have not seen one in the wild.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2017/12/20/tested-henry-single-shot-shotguns-and-rifles/

henry_002_henryssrs_w_rifles_01s.jpg

My FIL just told me about this. I'm pretty excited. My first squirrel was taken by an H&R 20 gauge. I wonder if they will let you send them in to have additional barrels fitted.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I bought my Handi-Rifle originally in the 204. About 6 yrs ago I sent the receiver in and got the 44 Mag barrel for it. Both calibers are sweet shooters. During deer season, you can’t get the 44 away from my wife.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have had two, first a 22-250 back in the 90's and a 45 Colt Buffalo Carbine. The 45 Colt was great and fun to shoot, but the 22-250 was not so much. Every round with the 22-250 required using a cleaning rod to remove the spent case. I called the manufacturer and they said the Winchester black box ammo I was using was too hot, but even after switching to Remington ammo the problem persisted. I am now solidly in the T/C camp and will only buy the H&R and NEF shotguns.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The handi is great for what it is. I had the talo version in 357 mag a nice little handy 16 1/2 inch barrel that we made into 357 max.
    Wish the trigger was better as I am used to the contender triggers.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    I have two. One is a H&R Ultra Slug hunter in 12 gauge. What a hoot to shoot. Very accurate out to 100 yards. The second is a Wesson and Harrington Buffalo Classic in .45-70. Now shooting this more than a few times with the steel but plate, well your shoulder lets you know how much fun you can have.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I had a 22 hornet that had a horrible trigger, one of the heaviest I've ever felt. Couldn't shoot it well unless it was lead bagged and on a very solid rest. traded it off for more than I paid for it and came out looking good.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    The H&R handi-rifle in 500 S&W is a deer killing machine. Bought it back when Indiana legalized the pistol calibers in rifles, great gun.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    The H&R handi-rifle in 500 S&W is a deer killing machine. Bought it back when Indiana legalized the pistol calibers in rifles, great gun.

I tried to buy one that was for sale (here, on this forum) about 18 months ago. The seller told me that I missed it by > I < this much. Another member beat me by 15 minutes.
    It broke my heart, and I'm still looking. Presently, I own a 4" 500 magnum pistol, and I need a big brother for it !

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Buddy has a .22 Hornet Handi rifle, w mannlicker stock LOL.
    It's so goofy it's kinda cool.

I cant get into them thought.
    Wouldn't mind a CVA Scout 2 in .35 Rem...........but out of production and scarfed up as soon as they pop up used.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I had a 22 hornet that had a horrible trigger, one of the heaviest I've ever felt. Couldn't shoot it well unless it was lead bagged and on a very solid rest. traded it off for more than I paid for it and came out looking good.

You can send them off to some guy on H&R forum (IIRC)........$40 for trigger job.
    Or you can do it yourself.
    The pins have some knurling/splines to hold them on one end, so they should be driven one way.
    Have seen one H&R that simply would not budge, had to be sent off.

Anyway, for those wanting to change springs/stone parts to help trigger...........here's a hint: slave pin

Makes assembly a piece of cake.
    Buddy fought one for an hr, oh so close. He gave up, asked me. I cut a junk allen wrench for a slave and popped it together............and he punched me ;)

Top Bottom