7.62/.308 Battle Rifles - Looking for INGO Opinions...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FWJK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    Greetings guys. I am considering adding a 7.62/.308 battle rifle to my collection. Have been doing some research, reading reviews, watching videos, but I really prefer getting INGO comments and opinions to help with the decision.

Uses would be the norm, Defense, range toy, zombie apocalypse :rolleyes:, long range, short range, ...etc. Suppose I want this to be ”the one” if I could only have one.

I have it narrowed down to a small handful. Was hoping for your experience and/or opinions on what you think of the following rifles...

FN Scar 17S
    Springfield SOCOM 16 CQB
    Daniel Defense DD5V1 or DD5V2
    LWRC R.E.P.R.

I understand that there are some price differences in those rifles. I am less concerned with price and place a greater emphasis on value. I am a buy once, cry once type of consumer. I would also be adding a high end Optic to the rifle, but that’s another thread.

Perhaps I am missing one that I should be considering also? I welcome all comments. I am not at all an expert and value everyone’s opinions and suggestions.

:ingo::ingo:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    If I could only have one rifle, irrespective of caliber, it would be my Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308. My second choice would be my M1 Garand in 30.06. But I do not have a gun collection. I shoot my rifles on a regular basis. None of the guns you listed are bad firearms. Buy one and become fearfully good with it.

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    SCAR 17 hands down. The REPR is a good second, however, it's as heavy as a tank with glass on it. If you don't shoot suppressed, the DD isn't a bad option, but for the price, I'd still pick up a Scar.

FWJK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    SCAR 17 hands down. The REPR is a good second, however, it's as heavy as a tank with glass on it. If you don't shoot suppressed, the DD isn't a bad option, but for the price, I'd still pick up a Scar.

Seems like the Scar and the DDV5 are about the same price. I like that the DD comes with the Geissele trigger. I am assuming I would add one to the Scar. I am much more familiar with the platform of the DD over the Scar. I am also left handed if that matters.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I had a chance to run the SOCOM 16 out to 300yrds. Was going to be my choice if I could afford the ammo.

Stepped down to an AR. After owning an AR I would consider an AR10 over the SOCOM 16

Check out the DPMS LR308. I think POF is making an AR15 sized gun now that launches 308

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I know this suggestion may be going back in time. I have not seen a mention of an FAL?
    Had the OP even considered one? They do have Para editions with a shorter barrel that is along the lines of rifles you have mentioned.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    My two cents are to avoid all Springfield Armory products (along with Rock River Arms as well).

Both companies collectively tried to sell out Illinois gun owners and their competitors in a shady deal with anti-gun Illinois politicians.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I would second .223 Gunners suggestion on an FAL. At one time they were the standard battle rifle for something like 54 countries.
    I had the British L1A1 variant for years. Great rifle. Well built, accurate, user friendly, hard hitting. Had a user adjustable gas system which was real nice. Oh, and they are just a sexy rifle.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've had an M1A for 38 years, good rifle.

Like Scout says, the FAL is also a fine choice.

As a reloader I could never get happy with the HK 91/G3.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I've had an M1A for 38 years, good rifle.

Like Scout says, the FAL is also a fine choice.

As a reloader I could never get happy with the HK 91/G3.

Don't dismiss the PTR-91 rifles or HK91 types. A beast of a rifle and surplus mags I've seen as low as $5.

As a reloader, I have to agree with Leadeye. Why would I want a rifle that turns reloadable brass into junk.
    .308 gets expensive buying it, reloading is the way to go

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I think I would get the SCAR. But the DD might be what I would wind up with instead. There's a nice one in the classifieds with a Vortex on it right now.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I reload CETME brass all the time with no ill effects. First time I ever shot a CETME was a bullseye - much less recoil than I expected. Using a port buffer is a good idea.

FAL is also a great choice.

How about an RFB? Fully ambi, great for close quarters, good weight distribution, uses FAL mags.

Last edited:

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I'm a fan of the classics.

attachment.php

Top Bottom