• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I was all set to pre-order a Ruger Precision Rimfire, but after discussions in this thread, I'm rethinking that as I will probably mostly shoot 25-150 yards. I have a Ruger 10/22 that I haven't done much with at this point, other than having fiber optic sights installed so I can actually see to shoot it. I enjoy shooting it, but want a bolt action rifle as well, which is why I was looking at the Precision. That and my buddy has the 7.62 version and the trigger is amazing. Anyway, I don't know that I'll often shoot 200 yards or more, so I'm not sure if that rifle is good for me or not. I've also considered the Ruger American or a CZ 452/455. Then again, maybe I should just stick with the 10/22 until I have more experience? I have a cheap, no-name 4-12x40 scope I'm going to put on it, plus I have a deal where I'll be getting a Bushnell 4-12x40 in trade. I think either of those will work for my needs for my 10/22. I'm also thinking about picking up this PA scope to put on my new rifle. I figure that if I don't pick up a new rifle, I can put it on my AR-15, so that should work out fine. I don't know, all kinds of thoughts rolling around in my head. Thoughts INGO?

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    If your in the market for the very best 22lr on the market.....Anschutz these are the best of the best

After that CZ or savage, unless you get lucky and can find a Winchester 52,or Remington 40x,

Rugers are fine for teaching the kids to burn ammo, but why buy something for $350 plus that needs another $350 dumped in to it, so shoots as good as a $400 savage?

Run your 10/22 , learn it, go to as many matches as you can, talk to those guys then YOU decide what rifle you want for your type of shooting

Do you need an Anschutz for plinking? No....can you win a 3 position small bore Olympic match with a R uger 10/22 No......

You must decide what rifle fits your needs.....

Good luck and keep the x ring in your sights

Aaron

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Actually, shooting an Anschutz is one of the reasons for my dilemma. I blame Patience, the Lollipop killer...lol!

I can't afford a gun of that quality, but the Precision is only $399, which is one of the reasons I was planning to pick one up. I may have to just play with my 10/22 to get experience to know what to go to next.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    One of my favorite .22 rifles is also one of my oldest.
    A Mossberg model 144 bolt action that is deadly accurate on targets such as squirrels.

Now, I found mine, or rather it found me, more than 30 years ago, but I got it for $50, and it had a Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 sitting on top, and a really nice tooled leather thumb-hole sling.
    The sling alone would bring close to $50 today.

Look around at some of the old Mossberg bolt guns.
    You may be greatly surprised at how much gun you can afford.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    One of my favorite .22 rifles is also one of my oldest.
    A Mossberg model 144 bolt action that is deadly accurate on targets such as squirrels.

Now, I found mine, or rather it found me, more than 30 years ago, but I got it for $50, and it had a Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 sitting on top, and a really nice tooled leather thumb-hole sling.
    The sling alone would bring close to $50 today.

Look around at some of the old Mossberg bolt guns.
    You may be greatly surprised at how much gun you can afford.

Thank you sir, I'll have to look into those ;)

PolishBulldog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 22, 2018
    Portage
    I can't say much about the Ruger Precision but I'm sure it's a good weapon that would serve your needs. I bought a bull barrel CZ455 a few years back and aside from adding a bipod, it's been an absolute tack driver out of the box. Shoots great suppressed too. The nice thing about the 455 is the ability to swap out barrels with a .17HMR or .22mag. Possibly something else to consider.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I was all set to pre-order a Ruger Precision Rimfire, but after discussions in this thread, I'm rethinking that as I will probably mostly shoot 25-150 yards. I have a Ruger 10/22 that I haven't done much with at this point, other than having fiber optic sights installed so I can actually see to shoot it. I enjoy shooting it, but want a bolt action rifle as well, which is why I was looking at the Precision. That and my buddy has the 7.62 version and the trigger is amazing. Anyway, I don't know that I'll often shoot 200 yards or more, so I'm not sure if that rifle is good for me or not. I've also considered the Ruger American or a CZ 452/455. Then again, maybe I should just stick with the 10/22 until I have more experience? I have a cheap, no-name 4-12x40 scope I'm going to put on it, plus I have a deal where I'll be getting a Bushnell 4-12x40 in trade. I think either of those will work for my needs for my 10/22. I'm also thinking about picking up this PA scope to put on my new rifle. I figure that if I don't pick up a new rifle, I can put it on my AR-15, so that should work out fine. I don't know, all kinds of thoughts rolling around in my head. Thoughts INGO?

I think you need to come see me when things warm up a bit and maybe i can set you up. We'll break out the stable and let you have at it. Fair warning tho. There won't be anything under about $600. Some with a scope at that rate. Most are over that w/o one.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I can't say much about the Ruger Precision but I'm sure it's a good weapon that would serve your needs. I bought a bull barrel CZ455 a few years back and aside from adding a bipod, it's been an absolute tack driver out of the box. Shoots great suppressed too. The nice thing about the 455 is the ability to swap out barrels with a .17HMR or .22mag. Possibly something else to consider.

That's pretty cool, thanks for the info. One of the reasons I was planning to stick with a Ruger Precision or American is the fact that they all take the same mags, for compatibility purposes, but I might have to look into a CZ. As I'm a CZ handgun fan, that wouldn't be a stretch... ;)

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I think you need to come see me when things warm up a bit and maybe i can set you up. We'll break out the stable and let you have at it. Fair warning tho. There won't be anything under about $600. Some with a scope at that rate. Most are over that w/o one.

Oh, I see, back to tempt me further.... :koolaid:

:):

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

Seriously though, thank you for the offer and I may well take you up on it. Shooting your Anschutz has given me the fever :)

Slonsteady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Plainfield
    No matter what you get you journey has just begun. Matching the ammo to the gun is the job and it is fun. My new Ruger American 223 I am happy to say is 1/2 moa at 100 yards, and I have done it with three different bullets. Just my opinion but getting that from a 22lr is going to be weather dependent. I shot one of my 223 groups in a mist rain no less.
    Take a look at 22wmr is you want to stay rimfire at 125 yards. I can get 1/2 inch from my Ruger American 22lr rimfire but only at 50 yards regularly. All of my guns are for hunting so while I am happy with MOA on paper I am happier with minute of critter at hunting distances.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Well, another reason I'm thinking of sticking with the 10/22 and maybe an American is that I'm not sure I can as much about accuracy. Instead of worrying about dime sized groups, I think I'm more worried about plinking steel of various sizes. I don't know, as suggested, I need to use what I have for experience and see what else I might need. I've had many offers for getting together with INGO members to try things out, so I think that will help me get the knowledge needed, plus have fun while I'm at it :)

PolishBulldog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 22, 2018
    Portage
    That's pretty cool, thanks for the info. One of the reasons I was planning to stick with a Ruger Precision or American is the fact that they all take the same mags, for compatibility purposes, but I might have to look into a CZ. As I'm a CZ handgun fan, that wouldn't be a stretch... ;)

i certainly understand that. I think we all have the big pile of magazines in a corner somewhere but it never seems to be enough. If you're looking at popping steel instead of a bullseye, it might make more sense to customize your 10/22 and make it yours.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    FWIW, my American outshoots my wife’s Savage MKII in my hands. The American also has the benefit of sharing mags with your 10/22.

We had a 10/22 in the house for awhile and neither the wife or I enjoyed it much. It wasn’t an accuracy issue as much as it was the lack of interaction wasn’t as enjoyable compared to a bolt or lever action.

I’d be willing to meet up sometime if you want to try an American.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Just to throw in one more option...see if you can find a used Ruger 77/22. I found one built in the early 1980s and it is my favorite .22 to shoot. Very accurate, good trigger, beautiful wood, and it runs the same 10/22 mags you already have.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Well, another reason I'm thinking of sticking with the 10/22 and maybe an American is that I'm not sure I can as much about accuracy. Instead of worrying about dime sized groups, I think I'm more worried about plinking steel of various sizes. I don't know, as suggested, I need to use what I have for experience and see what else I might need. I've had many offers for getting together with INGO members to try things out, so I think that will help me get the knowledge needed, plus have fun while I'm at it :)

Give me a shout and I'll bring my American Rimfire into town. Use it for the day and return it. It's set up, dialed in, and ready to go. Bring your 10-22 mags and some ammo.
    Drop the legs on the Harris bipod, pull the scope covers, and shoot away. I've got a sub 2# trigger on it with little creep. They're slick guns.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    FWIW, my American outshoots my wife’s Savage MKII in my hands. The American also has the benefit of sharing mags with your 10/22.

We had a 10/22 in the house for awhile and neither the wife or I enjoyed it much. It wasn’t an accuracy issue as much as it was the lack of interaction wasn’t as enjoyable compared to a bolt or lever action.

I’d be willing to meet up sometime if you want to try an American.

I might take you up on your offer once it warms up some, thanks :yesway:

i certainly understand that. I think we all have the big pile of magazines in a corner somewhere but it never seems to be enough. If you're looking at popping steel instead of a bullseye, it might make more sense to customize your 10/22 and make it yours.

That's along the lines I've been thinking, but thanks for confirming.

Just to throw in one more option...see if you can find a used Ruger 77/22. I found one built in the early 1980s and it is my favorite .22 to shoot. Very accurate, good trigger, beautiful wood, and it runs the same 10/22 mags you already have.

I'll have to look into those, thanks.

BTW, can anyone tell me if Norma USA Match-22 is decent match grade ammo? I'm curious if it would be worth spending the extra money on it as my results with cheap ammo has been great so far. I thought it might be interesting to pick some up, but wanted to see if anyone has thoughts on it.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Give me a shout and I'll bring my American Rimfire into town. Use it for the day and return it. It's set up, dialed in, and ready to go. Bring your 10-22 mags and some ammo.
    Drop the legs on the Harris bipod, pull the scope covers, and shoot away. I've got a sub 2# trigger on it with little creep. They're slick guns.

I'll definitely take you up on that offer, thanks. I'll have to wait till it warms up a bit, but I would love to run it for the day :)

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    You've got my # so just give me a call the night before. You'll love the American.
    I kinda figured the Precision was a decked out American but I haven't had hands on the Precision.
    IF the out of the box Precision outshoots the American out of the box I'd be surprised.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If you want MOA out of a 22 it will come with pain in the wallet.
    One inch at 100 consistency with rim fire will cost in ammo as well as iron.
    I have seen many rifles do it but you would be very lucky to find any of them for sale used also. The older ones that will do it don’t come up for sale often if ever.
    Some new rifles I have seen do it were cz’s bolts that the gods of thunder shined down on and everything in them fell into place. Plus there owners were great shots before owning them and all had some small modifications done on top of stock.
    A couple I have seen do it the rem model 40x 541t 510 with a couple of them the gods shined on.
    Win model 52,s shul 150’s and believe it or not a norinco trainer from China. The thunder gods must have shined on the norinco very strongly.

I have seen a couple kidd 10-22 do it but they had no ruger parts in them and the price between it and the Annie are small.
    Once again the nut behind the trigger is the big factor. Take a nice shooting rifle and if it fits into the way a true bench rest shooter shoots well with it maybe more rifles could do it.

You are are going to need a tall railed scope to get get on target at those distances also.

Top Bottom