• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    T/C has a rebate until April. This makes a $300 .308 beginner rifle possible. In most reviews they are highly rated. Very tempted to try it out. I've got my dies and plan to load for this cal. If I spent more, would I really be getting THAT much more out of a rifle? I understand you get what you pay for and also considered the Savage FCP- SR though they are reported as "heavy" for lugging around in the field. I anticipate shooting this maybe 4 times/year due to the lack of any distance ranges nearby. Would use for hunting most likely and mid range defense if need be. It's between bolt gun and battle rifle at this point. Would this be a good buy or should I hold out and spend the money toward something different?

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I know the Venture is a very solid gun, as is the Dimension.
    The compass takes the good qualities of these other rifles and the finish, stock, and some other things are a bit cheaper. Not bad, but just not as good.
    It still has 5r rifling though, and it should be a great gun at that price point.

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    Clarification, it's the Compass. Entry level. I know a lot of advice is "never go cheap", though in this case it seems like a value. I am also interested in increasing my use of .308 in the future and looking for a nice intermediate, long term piece, probably a battle rifle if they aren't much of an accuracy difference.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    What exactly do you need/want it to do? Do you get more if you pay more? Yes, but the real questions are what do you get "more" of and do you need/want more than what the TC provides. Only you can answer these questions and only after gaining some experience with rifles. With that in mind, IMO, it is a good value and should do most anything I would expect a "beginner" rifle to do, including helping you to answer the above questions.

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    Better acccuracy is one of the staples I'd be willing to pay more for, and it is chief above all. Durability is nice, and so is lightweight. I'd love to see a "Dollar per sub M.O.A" comparison on some of the higher dollar options if such a thing existed, lol, with fixed firing mounts and equal ammo, etc for the testing. Then you could publish the results, sort of like the grocery store when you see price per unit. I'd love a Stealth, but I don't have $900. Maybe a $500 rifle splits the difference between a Compass and a Stealth? What is the cost per sub minute of angle? :)

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    I looked at Bud's, they're usually reasonable. Cabela's not usually reasonable but about same price. Maybe that low around Christmas? Where would you recommend? Remember that FFL transfers are $25.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Better acccuracy is one of the staples I'd be willing to pay more for, and it is chief above all. Durability is nice, and so is lightweight. I'd love to see a "Dollar per sub M.O.A" comparison on some of the higher dollar options if such a thing existed, lol, with fixed firing mounts and equal ammo, etc for the testing. Then you could publish the results, sort of like the grocery store when you see price per unit. I'd love a Stealth, but I don't have $900. Maybe a $500 rifle splits the difference between a Compass and a Stealth? What is the cost per sub minute of angle? :)

But then there are other things........like when the Savage Axis came out....

It's a long action, no matter what cartridge.
    Initially, the only 1 pc base was from EGW..........$50
    Using the Weaver 2 pc meant some scopes, quite a few........wouldn't have much adjustment for position.
    The stock flexed, and the comb was low.........proper scope mount meant even small eyebell scopes got bolt smack.

The trigger sucked too.

I did the mods and got it usable, and it shot great.
    But overall the package felt crappy and I dumped it and got another 700 as my beater.

Fit and feel, plus maybe some other things like looks..........it aint all about accuracy per dollar.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Accuracy..........kinda doesn't mean squat if not a handloader (IMHO).
    Sure factory loads can be decent, and maybe somebody's rifle will absolutely love an offering.
    But then what limits are we looking for?
    1.5" @ 100 or .25" @100?
    How much is it worth to shrink by .25"?

Are we shooting deer in the woods at 75 or groundhogs at 300 plus yards?

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    Good points! I agree with you. I looked at the Axis and Patrol MVPs, not for me for reasons you mentioned. Have you tried the Compass? Even critics seem to like its bedding, trigger and accuracy. I figure the finish will not be great, have to see about fit.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Good points! I agree with you. I looked at the Axis and Patrol MVPs, not for me for reasons you mentioned. Have you tried the Compass? Even critics seem to like its bedding, trigger and accuracy. I figure the finish will not be great, have to see about fit.

I bought the Compass in .243Winchester late last year because of the rebate, and reputation.
    I could not be more impressed or happier with my purchase.
    Thompson Center guarantees M.O.A. or better out of the box, and I believe my rifle will accomplish this if I do my part.

I found my .243 on www.gunprodeals.com
    After the rebate I believe I gave like $197.
    They do also offer a scoped combo. I chose against the scope, but others I've read about say it too is a bargain for the money, and were happy they bought the scope.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Compass.

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    It's great to hear people say positive things about budget items. I think we all find great deals once in a while we don't want to pass up. I am not an elitist, and I try to find things that will fit my buget and be of utility. So many people have good things to say about this budget rifle, and it fits the bill for my intended purpose (a beginner .308). 90% sure I'm pulling the trigger on this fun little cheapy. I will use the savings for a .45, which locally I'm able to shoot far more often. I'll practice getting my hand loads just right too.

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    $299 at gunprodeals.com. $75 rebate, and transfer fee puts it at $250. Plus some tax and it'd be good to go if its free shipping. I could even grab some ammo then for less than three Benjamins.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest

Have had good luck with new and used Remingtons, scored my "budget gun" at a decent price, was a like new 700 ADL synth.
    POS plastic trigger guard was replaced w steel, and Tupperware stock stiffened and free floated.
    WW 80 gr does .75" at 100 yds.........so I haven't even messed with bedding the lug or action. Proly leave as is.
    May not even handload for it........as .75" is good enough for me...........is supposed to be my coyote popper LOL
    (coyotes are not cooperating).

If I go this weekend, proly take my Ruger #1.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Budget guns don't hold their $ value.
    They are not expensive or rare........and many folks that buy low end stuff are not good managing their funds.........so plenty of them get dumped.
    Where the budget rifles do hold their value.........is when a buddy has an equipment failure, or a family member shows up............it's nice to have a
    good rig around to loan out, and not worry about it.

I thought about a Rem 783 in walnut......maybe the old lady will buy one (for her, not me). She wants walnut.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

It is not that simple though, rifles vary in accuracy from rifle to rifle even of the same model. Unless you are planning on spending really big bucks, accuracy is a bit of a crapshoot whether you are spending $300 or $500. While the accuracy guarantee of the TC gives you some assurance, that only applies if the tested load is useful for you or it happens to be accurate with other loads as well. Then you come back to the question of what you intend to use the rifle for: Primarily intend the rifle as a paper puncher from the bench? Then you'll notice accuracy differences quicker, especially if you shoot at longer range. Primarily intend to use the rifle for hunting and shoot offhand, from a bipod/tripod or improvised rests? Then you'll probably never notice the difference between a sub MOA rifle and 1.5 MOA rifle since you and/or your rest will be the limiting factor not the rifle.

Spending more $$ on a rifle typically gets you a better stock, a smoother, better feeding action, more features and fewer plastic parts.

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    I am reconsidering this now. Was in Bradis today and got to see some options. I may lean more toward something higher priced, and I will try to get it used. I will be handloading and not in a hurry.
    After reading the ballistics data I'd prefer a 20" barrel, and I'd also like to be able to thread a suppresor.
    It seems confusing that many gun enthusiasts struggle to say anything confidence inspiring for guns less than $1000. We're not all rich, we can't all save our pennies for two more years, and we all need to start somewhere. I'm simply not going to spend that much. I think $500 for used is my limit for a "beginner" gun. I would never see myself spending over a grand unless its made for battle.
    Reasoning is I'm not a collector or a competitor. I'm interested in having a modest selection of workhorses, the .308 among them.
    My accuracy concern regards humane kills. I qualified "Sharpshooter", 3 pts. from Expert in JROTC, pretty sure I can do my part. I pray the gun and my loads (within reasonable costs) will assist in getting the job done right. I think my main concern is why spend a ton if I can get acceptable results for half the price on a utilitarian platform? Everyone's input appreciated and seriously considered.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom