• Which optic for a do it all 308 AR?

• Total voters

jag09

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indy/Cloverdale
    I have been on the search for optics for my PWS MK216 MOD 1-P in .308/7.62. The plan for this rifle is to be used for mainly less than 100 yards but occasionally reaching out to 300-400 yards. Will be taken to a class next year, out on hunts, and just for plinking as well. I've been contemplating between these optics:
    Primary Arms 1-6 SFP ACSS Gen III
    Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 AR-BDC
    Primary Arms 3X Compact Prism

I know both of the 1-6 optics above have been heavily reviewed, and used by plenty of people out there. Trying to also figure out if the ACSS Reticle will be too cluttered at full power compared to the Strike Eagles BDC Reticle. I have folding sites on the way, I will run those until I decide on an optic, and if I really like the PWS then I'll start putting away for better glass. I can say so far from dealing with the PWS customer service I've been nothing but pleased with them.
    Any recommendations or good/bad experiences please post!

7ce8ed7f56982fca54c6651221720786.jpg

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Add another happy Strike Eagle owner here. I really do like mine on my 5.56 AR. That being said the BDC is for 5.56 ammo, so not real certain how that would work for .308.

jag09

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indy/Cloverdale
    I went through the manual on the Strike Eagle and the PA ACSS, in the Strike Eagles manual they have the distances you can expect/guesstimate with popular 308/7.62 loads. 1st-3rd hash marks it states a 70 Yards difference between 5.56 to 7.62 and the 4th is 30 Yards difference

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    From what I've been reading from actually end users of the SE and the Burris RT6, they say the Burris is head and shoulders above the SE. I think it's kinda hard right now to get an RT6 cause no one can keep them in stock

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Irons. Spend the money on becoming proficient. Your stated uses don't require anything special. Certainly not magnified optics. Heck, 100 yards is in handgun territory. You are free to ignore me. I use irons out to 1,000 yards. I am old. The skills of a rifleman can be passed on. If you are interested in learning.

I know, I am a spoiler. My grandson doesn't think he can hit anything without a magnifying scope. It makes me sad.

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    100 yards or less or 400 yards or less are pretty dramatically different optical solutions.

I am very happy with my Vortex Strike out to a couple hundred. After that it is Vortex PST's or similar glass in the more or less $1000 MSRP range. The Strike Eagle glass is fine at 100 though. Will probably buy a 1-8 Strike Eagle whenever I get my 458 socom done.

Top Bottom