Found a good sale, but it's out of stock. Anything else out there?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Captaincrunk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Evansville

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I used to work at a bog box gun store. If you go towards the end of the night especially if its on a slow night. They will make it happen. Pending your attitude and if you plan on buying any accessories or ammo. The more the merrier. On slow nights i have given away free rifles to go with their high end optics or gratuitous amounts of ammo. This was a semi regular happening. More common, are major discounts.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

SOUP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Noblesville
    Someone above mentioned Bud's. I've heard that they price match regularly. I would suggest giving them a call or email their CS. Also sign up for their alert, they may get more back in stock before the deal ends :yesway:

Also, FYI If you're in the market for a .308 bolt gun Classic is also running a pretty great deal on these Savages (same price for 6.5 creed too)-
    https://www.classicfirearms.com/savage-axis-308-win-bolt-action-22658

The Nikon Scope included makes it an almost better buy IMO. I've got one added to my cart, I'm just trying to justify the purchase and with me transitioning jobs I'm holding back for now just in case.

Captaincrunk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Evansville
    Buds has a button you can press to do a price match request. Seems most of the guns have it but the American does not. I will call tomorrow though

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Why would a company be willing to price match an out of stock gun? Why would a company not offer a rain check on an out of stock item? Why would an online retailer choose a specific model of gun to sell at a discount?

Captaincrunk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Evansville
    Why would a company be willing to price match an out of stock gun? Why would a company not offer a rain check on an out of stock item? Why would an online retailer choose a specific model of gun to sell at a discount?
    The specific model that is on discount is the same model sold everywhere else with the same model number. They sold plenty of them confirmed on /r/gundeals. Rainchecks maybe, I don't know. But I know it can't be backordered on their website. Do you think they might let me backorder it if I call?

Captaincrunk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Evansville
    Slow moving inventory, old stock, manufacturer spiffs, discontinued models, loss leader, lotsa reasons.
    Yeah those are all wrong in this case. Some of the other calibers are even still in stock, and this caliber was in stock for a long time I just never bit the bullet because I was looking for better deals

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Dang I was hoping for more but hurt with my comment. Just seems like a good morning to troll. In full disclosure I help out in a gunshop so I see the behind the scenes. I also train with well recognized schools, hold a bunch of certifications and just generally like to go to gun ranges. All of this means nothing! BUT it does provide me with interesting insights about the firearms business, shooters, gun owners and consumers.

$299 is less then the wholesale price on that particular gun. Now there are ways that a retailer can buy guns for less and that is volume. Large distributors and possibly even the manufacturer might choose to run a blitz on a specific gun. This could be due to having large inventory on hand or a gun being discontinued or even an off season in the case of a hunting rifle. It might be in the form of a discount or possibly something like buy 19 get the 20th free. (That is 5% off without discounting the gun.) I have even seen free magazines with a large gun order. That means the magazines cost $0. Remember last fall when new S&W Shields were $289 online but in the fine print they only came with 1 magazine? Buy cheap, free shipping!!!! Want an extra magazine? Well those are $29.95.

$299 means that gun was advertised as a lose leader. In a nutshell advertising. By posting that link the OP drove people to the retailers online shop. Advertising. See how that works? The other guns on that site are within a couple bucks of the local shop.

Kind of like 12% off in store credit with the purchase of a gun. That’s an easy one as well. Buy in volume, figure out your price structure, add on 12%, then issue back an in store credit. Now you have to come into the store again to get your discount. Even better you spend more money buying some high margin bagged candy or rabbit feed. See how that works?

Bait and Switch is a little harsh. I would say creative advertising. I will share with this group there is very little margin in new guns. My recommendation is get to know your local shop. In the end there is so much more to gain then saving $10 online. The real deals are behind the counter and it’s the regular customers who get to see behind the curtain.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Slow moving inventory, old stock, manufacturer spiffs, discontinued models, loss leader, lotsa reasons.

Yeah those are all wrong in this case. Some of the other calibers are even still in stock, and this caliber was in stock for a long time I just never bit the bullet because I was looking for better deals

You just confirmed what Vigilant said. If you are looking for a gun and find a “deal” that looks good then buy it. So long as you are happy and you have what you want who cares? I see people on INGO burning the place up worrying about the price of a gun. It’s a consumer product, nothing collectible, if you need a hunting rifle and it fits your budget then buy it. There is no better time to buy a gun then today. If you miss a good deal there will be more coming along shortly. I see piles of used/new hunting rifles with plastic stocks every week.

Captaincrunk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Evansville
    You just confirmed what Vigilant said. If you are looking for a gun and find a “deal” that looks good then buy it. So long as you are happy and you have what you want who cares? I see people on INGO burning the place up worrying about the price of a gun. It’s a consumer product, nothing collectible, if you need a hunting rifle and it fits your budget then buy it. There is no better time to buy a gun then today. If you miss a good deal there will be more coming along shortly. I see piles of used/new hunting rifles with plastic stocks every week.

I want to start by saying I appreciate your insight and experience, thanks for the help.

Also, I would consider 300 to be a good deal if it was 300 out the door (before taxes, if applicable).

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I want to start by saying I appreciate your insight and experience, thanks for the help.

Also, I would consider 300 to be a good deal if it was 300 out the door (before taxes, if applicable).

$280 or less Ruger American. Keep in mind 7% sales tax. I would be looking at used. Even online there might be taxes, shipping, and don’t forget a transfer fee for the FFL.

Captaincrunk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Evansville
    $280 or less Ruger American. Keep in mind 7% sales tax. I would be looking at used. Even online there might be taxes, shipping, and don’t forget a transfer fee for the FFL.

I get 15 dollar transfers, so between that or taxes it's a wash. I found a used one for 325 and asked if they'd go cheaper, they said 300 before taxes. I feel like that's kinda not great for a used one to be honest.

Top Bottom