• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I just purchased a Dillon 650 and a set of dies and conversion kit came with it. Rather than selling the dies, etc. I’m thinking about getting a .223 which is a caliber I don’t presently own. Rather than some type of AR platform I am thinking I want a bolt action long(er) barrel regular stock .223. My planned use would shooting groundhogs in Indiana and prairie dogs out west.

I’m thinking one of the Savage models. I’ve had good luck with a few other Savages. Good to great barrels and excellent triggers. Wondering about thoughts from other folks about either the Savage or other manufacturers. I don’t plan on doing much to the gun I purchase other than adding a scope. Open to all suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Savage 10 is the way to go! I threw a leopald vx-r 3-9x40 and a bi pod on as a coyote gun. I show it off by shooting quarters at 50ish yards. (I am not a precision shooter) The only rifle i have this kind of accuracy with. It isn't the most comfortable to shoot out of the prone. In fact the stock angle puts a bit of pressure on my wrist and i have to rest between shots. I have been recomended to look into a different stock but the wood stock on it is beautiful. Definitely my favorite bolt gun i own. ( i only have 4 and shot only a dozen or so) i did have a little trouble finding the right mounts as the standard were too far apart for my vx-r, but a bushnell and weaver both fit.(barely)

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

Jagermeister

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2018
    Shelby
    I just purchased a Remington 700 VS in .223 from a Shields store for $500. It was basically new in the box. They shoot great and I like the HS Prescion stock.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    For me an AR is the ticket for prairie dogs . You don't have to come up off the rifle to cycle rounds , you can just stay on target for follow up shots . A heavy barrel is usually a good idea as well, it doesn't take long to heat a sporter barrel . I use a 24" bull barrel Rock River when I go out to Kansas . Very happy with it !

If you're main use is groundhogs around here , a bolt gun will serve you just fine . Savages are an excellent choice , I'm also a fan of the T/C Venture .

Optics can make or break a rifle . If you plan on spending a lot of time behind it , spend the money and get something nice . My first year out west I had what I thought was a nice bushnell scope . After the first full day behind it , I realized I was wrong . I started to have trouble focusing and it was just so cloudy/murky compared to some of the other guys in camp . I switched to a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 and the difference is HUGE . Absolutely love it ! I can spend hours behind with minimal fatigue

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Love my Savage 10FP . Shot a ton of PD's in South Dakota a few years ago. Everyone that shoots it loves it.
    The 10FP is a heavy barrel, not a walking around gun

ETA- Mine came with the cheap plastic stock, I beded it, re-enforced the forearm, and I filled the factory checkering in and shot it with a coat of rustolium

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    I like my R700 SPS varmint. I got lucky and got a Wednesday gun. I’ve heard stories of the Monday and Friday rifles that are Minute Of Barn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I see some barrels have a 1 in 7 twist, others have a 1 in 9 twist. What is the advantage or theory for the difference.
    ? Is the faster twist helpful in stabilizing heavier bullets ? And what is “heavier ?”

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I see some barrels have a 1 in 7 twist, others have a 1 in 9 twist. What is the advantage or theory for the difference.
    ? Is the faster twist helpful in stabilizing heavier bullets ? And what is “heavier ?”

There's some fancy math with velocity, rpm, moment of inertia, etc. In general terms, 1:7 is for heavier bullets out shorter (16") barrels. heavy for .223 is 62+ grains. With a longer barrel you can go with a slower twist because the bullet's travelling faster (more velocity in lower twist = same rpm). Heavier bullets need more rpm for stability because, all other things being equal, heavier=longer and a projectile becomes less stable the further it departs from a sphere.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    There's some fancy math with velocity, rpm, moment of inertia, etc. In general terms, 1:7 is for heavier bullets out shorter (16") barrels. heavy for .223 is 62+ grains. With a longer barrel you can go with a slower twist because the bullet's travelling faster (more velocity in lower twist = same rpm). Heavier bullets need more rpm for stability because, all other things being equal, heavier=longer and a projectile becomes less stable the further it departs from a sphere.

I was following along okay until you said “. .. . . .the further it departs from a sphere.” Are you referring to the spherical shape of the bore ?

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Tikka T3. Mine T3 Lite shoots .5 MOA with handloads with minimal load development,multiple factory loads are easy sub MOA. I've got a Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12 on it, so not a real powerful scope but almost a perfect match for my use, mainly coyote hunting. Out of the box the action was slick as snot. Light enough I can tote it around all night, with a bad back. Available in multiple stock and barrel types to suit your purpose. Only downside is spare mags are rather salty.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I'm sorry,OP, but a bolt action .223 does not exist. I was told on Twitter today that you can't fire .223 from a "hunting rifle" because "they are typically chambered in larger caliber, subsonic rounds for clean kills on large game." So, .223 is only for mowing down humans out of an AR-15

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Stability calculators show that 1:9 will work just fine with 75/77gr HPBT bullets, regardless of what the interwebs tells you. Of course, stability does not necessarily reflect accuracy and vice versa...but bullets shouldn't keyhole assuming a factory button or CHF barrel is actually twisted to its spec.

I've personally had very good luck with the Hornady 75gr HPBT over Varget out of Savage 1:9 barrels, in fact one barrel was fairly consistent giving 5 shot, sub-half MOA groups at 200 yards.

I *really* wish Ruger made their new American Rifle Ranch 223 (twisted 1:8) using their AICS-pattern RPR 223 magazines, instead of AR-pattern magazines...with an AICS pattern mag one could run the 80gr SMK or 75gr ELD-M and actually take advantage of the twist rate. Instead, they went lowest common denominator and probably made more potential buyers happy...

Top Bottom