Alternative Greases for Bolt Actions- What have you used/Avoid?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    Saw a guy proposing you can use high temp lithium grease as an alternative for Shooters Choice. In a pinch, what grease or oil would you use as an alternative to your favorite off the shelf "officially for guns" bolt gun grease? What would you absolutely avoid using?

I have some bearing/Universal Joint grease laying around and its moly infused. Says its good from -10 to 385 Farenheit. I understand it would only be used on the lugs and the rails (very lightly). If you think this is a bad idea, let me know. Not an expensive bolt gun but I also don't want to void a warranty. Common sense tells me this choice is low risk.

I've always wondered what has been repackaged as a product exclusively for guns (such as Unique case lube, which is tallow).

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    It is a big tub of Coastal high temp wheel bearing grease from autozone.

I use use it on m1 carbines, M1 Garands, m14s, and 1911s. It’s similar to the Lubriplate that was GI issue.

it was 4 bucks and will last me a life time.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Find a little artists paintbrush to apply it. Otherwise you will make a mess.

you want one of the 1/4 inch brushes from hobby lobby

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Paternal grandfather used "door hinge grease", solidified grease, melted it on a stove or fire across France. I assume it was French, but you can find .mil grease at gun shows.

I have melted it in those disposable pans and lube up my guns that like to run wet 1911s, M14s, inter alia with it. Works great.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I believe you want oil for your semi auto BCG. Grease might slow down the bolt and inhibit proper operation. This is why folks speak of running AR bolts "wet," meaning periodic reapplication of lube.

With a bolt gun the locking lugs are designed more precise with the idea of manually forcing the closer tolerances into place. Hence the grease to hold up better vs oil that will eventually push off and away.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Why not just buy the Shooter's Choice red?
    If you use that much grease on your guns.............the cost of the lube vs what you've sent downrange is nothing.
    I think most folks just get on the lube bandwagon and slather every gun and eventually realize that it only takes a dab..........once in a great while.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    EWG "Slip2000" and BreakFree are a good combo.
    I also like these for quick lube jobs and the break free for cleanin.

I use high temp red grease on all of my AR bolt carier groups. Its money!!
    Buy it at Wal-Mart in the vehicle oil isle for a few bucks. Comes in a tube that will most likely last you the rest of your life. You can use the regular grease too but the red high temp really works good as the gun heats up and doesn't burn off quickly like your other products.

I've used this for years and it works so great! If you have a 1911 or an old all metal Sig, which need grease you can also sparingly use it one these as well.
    Don't use this in your glocks. Glocks only need a couple small drops of liggt oil. I've seen so many glocks over lubed. Apply brake cleaner and clean that **** out of your glocks!

Top Bottom