• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bookmark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2014
    Gibson County
    So, I've decided it's time for me to buy an M1 Garand. I had a couple Uncles (both have passed) who worked at the International Harvester plant on the north side of Evansville. Both carried Garands in WWII and helped build IHC manufactured Garands in the early 50's so I want an IHC. The CMP is currently showing IHC Garands available and that leads to my questions.

In your experience, is it best to order a Garand from the CMP for home delivery or to visit one of the stores? If a store visit is best, is the north or south store better? I'm 6 1/2 hours from either one so it make no difference....other than going south is better than heading north in February:):.

As I understand what I read on the CMP's website, copies of my birth certificate, Indiana LTCH, and Garand Collector's Association membership satisfies the eligibility requirements.

Thanks for your help, Mark

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If I was to go and I knew that jolly Rodgers restaurant was open (season restaurant. ) it would be a no brainer. Drive north pick up M1 drive to Jolly Rodgers for a perch meal. Then drive home.

It is nice to pick one from the rack. The guys in the store know all about them.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    The South store has the better inventory, plus you can see the range, Perry will be stocked during the NM.....call both, go to both.........

But south store has better inventory

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    So, I've decided it's time for me to buy an M1 Garand. I had a couple Uncles (both have passed) who worked at the International Harvester plant on the north side of Evansville. Both carried Garands in WWII and helped build IHC manufactured Garands in the early 50's so I want an IHC. The CMP is currently showing IHC Garands available and that leads to my questions.

In your experience, is it best to order a Garand from the CMP for home delivery or to visit one of the stores? If a store visit is best, is the north or south store better? I'm 6 1/2 hours from either one so it make no difference....other than going south is better than heading north in February:):.

As I understand what I read on the CMP's website, copies of my birth certificate, Indiana LTCH, and Garand Collector's Association membership satisfies the eligibility requirements.

Thanks for your help, Mark

I have to vote for the North store. Been there 3 times. A...M...A...Z...I...N...G !! Please know that in all likelihood even a CMP IHC will not be ALL IHC. Chances are the receiver might be the only actual IHC part of the rifle. A pure IHC will command upwards of $2000.00 and the CMP (North or South) usually put the "pedigree" stuff on their auction site. If you can go to the North store (Camp Perry) during the Garand matches. It will BLOW:wow: your mind.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    In your experience, is it best to order a Garand from the CMP for home delivery or to visit one of the stores? I went to the north store. The people there are very nice will help you pick a nice rifle. That alone makes the trip worth it. However it was cheaper for them to overnight the rifle to me rather than carry it home. If you carry out they have to charge sales tax. If it is shipped they don't have to.

As I understand what I read on the CMP's website, copies of my birth certificate, Indiana LTCH, and Garand Collector's Association membership satisfies the eligibility requirements. Take you SSN card also just in case. I was short one document and that's when I found out the shipping was cheaper than tax.

Remember to order a new gas plug.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    When my son and I went to Port Clinton (CMP North store), to purchase 2 Garands, the only advantage we saw was that we found a special sale. The rifles we bought were l"ike" the CMP special grade.

That Special grade at the time had all worn parts replaced and a new barrel and stock installed with the CMP Logo embossed on the stock, and was selling for $995. When we got there they had (can't recall the grade name they used) the same rifle grade Except with the original barrel still installed selling for $950. The gentleman at the counter told us that the reason they hadn't changed the barrels was that they had excellent bores and that the muzzle and chamber gauged as new. Actually we both preferred the original barrels even if there were no price break.

As far as picking out the "best" one, there were so little differences in the group that the rifles we selected was based on the grain of the stock! Based on the serial numbers both rifles were Korean was vintage. Due to the way they are sold, if we had taken the rifles from the store the Ohio sales tax would have had to be paid. As the shipping was quite a bit less than the tax, we elected to have them shipped to our homes. We paid for the rifles, they put them into a case and marked them with our name and shipping info. We received them in about 3 ~ 4 days.

We made the trip during one of the worst ice storms of the winter (son had taken the day off work so we went). Had we known of the situation we probably would have just ordered one and had it shipped, although it was interesting to see everything they had.

We did purchase a couple of items (slings, ammo) while we were there, today the items on the website seems to be a lot more limited then it was 8 or 9 years ago. At that time they had Rack grade, Drill rifles, Special grade, some limited Sniper rifles and 22 cal target rifles. Today most of these are not available. I still have been purchasing 30-06 surplus Garand ammo, but even that has been not available lately, I have a few thousand round so that is ok.

If you do decide to make a trip I would go the the South store, as it seems to be the main store with more stock.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I mail ordered my IH rifle from CMP and was very happy. LMR correct barrel, bolt and op rod were correct IH also. That said, I would really like to make the drive to North store and pick one out, just have to be ready when they get a truck in. As said above, watch CMP forum for a fresh report of what is there

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I'll probably hit the south store once they start rolling the Korean returns thru the door. I'd like to get a Winny and an IHC to go with my Springfield CMP Special grade and my H&R Correct grade. Man I'm glad I bought the H&R when they were still fairly common; I see them auction for double plus what I paid for mine!:rockwoot:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I'll probably hit the south store once they start rolling the Korean returns thru the door. I'd like to get a Winny and an IHC to go with my Springfield CMP Special grade and my H&R Correct grade. Man I'm glad I bought the H&R when they were still fairly common; I see them auction for double plus what I paid for mine!:rockwoot:

I thought I read that those cant come back thru the cmp, the Korean garands were sold to korea, while the Philippine and Turkish grarands were loaned, so the Koreans cant give them (or sell) them back to the goverment, so for them to reenter the us market they'd have to be sold to somebody like century arms to be reimported for the civilian market, but I could be wrong

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Proof of Citizenship is also a requirement for purchase. A Social Security Card or State issued ID is NOT the same. They will only accept your Birth Certificate or Passport.

(from one who made the drive up north just to find the only thing I could bring home was disappointment - but the grounds/shop itself was almost worth the visit) Read their website - follow their rules.

BTW, I love my IHC. :rockwoot:
    Had farmer friends of mine ask "Do they have a John Deere model?" :):

Bookmark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2014
    Gibson County
    Warrior1354,
    I don't have 50 posts yet so can't reply directly to your PM. Thanks for the offer but I think I'm going to drive down to the south store and pick one out. As a first time Garand buyer I'm looking forward to the experience. I will keep your offer in mind though in case Garands are addictive:):.

Top Bottom