101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Ok here are the parameters:
    Indiana deer legal,
    Max $500 budget on this project
    (total including optic - ammo, sling, rings, etc not a factor),
    You already have the 870 or 500 12ga,
    You already have a .223 bolt action rifle (no optic).

Would you get a deer barrel and nice optic (Vortex 3-9×40 ??)
    Or
    a sub $500 bolt action like a Ruger American with Redfield, savage, the T/C + Vortex bundle on sale right now, etc??

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Public ground legal or private ground legal? ( stoopid rule)

Do you ever get shots over 100yds?

If private, and yes to number two...build a rifle of your choice.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    private hunting land, aiming for no more than 100-125 yards, mostly 50-100

I would still go rifle. I get better accuracy from my rifles than my slug gun...even with a good rifled barrel and quality sabot slugs.

Just my two cents. That way if you get new ground to hunt with longer shots, you are equipped to hunt it and not revisiting this decision.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I think it's only a question if you're hunting public land. For private land there is no question, go with a bolt action rifle. Then if you ever get the opportunity to hunt on some different piece of private land with longer range opportunities, you're already set to go. Talking which caliber to pick is like asking a motorcycle rider which oil to use. For deer, they're all going to knock them down. Personally I wouldn't pick anything smaller than a 270. I've grown rather partial to 30-06. Very versatile, you can hunt a lot of different critters with 30-06.

Even on public, if you're going to spend money, get as much knock down power / range as you can. Considering the newer calibers that are out there now that fall into the criteria for legal cartridges on public, I'd still go with a bolt action in a 450 Bushmaster or 458 socom. These give you a longer range advantage over a 12 gauge, and some of the videos on youtube showing kills with a 450 Bushmaster are impressive.

Last edited:

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Well I grabbed a "(like) new" Remington 783 in .308 with factory scope. I'm about $112.50 into it so an inexpensive experiment it will be. I'll add a Vortex 3-9x40. I'm sure I'll eventually want to upgrade from the 783 but we'll see how she runs!

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    I have a HUGE amount of experience with 12 ga fully rifled and smooth bore slug guns. I own a Marlin 512 Slugmaster, a Browning A-Bolt Slughunter, and a NEF 920 Tracker single shot slug gun. I have spent more money on shooting sabot slug ammo than I would admit at gun point and after 25+ years of slug guns and hundreds and hundreds of slugs sent down range along with a butt load of my $$$, allow me to make this recommendation.

If you must buy a slug gun get a 20 gauge Savage 220f, hands down best production slug gun money can buy. I've seen far to many examples that shot 1.25" or better and often MUCH better to know they are the real deal.

Second if you can, hunt with a high power rifle as you will never regret it. But if my choices were between a 20ga slug gun and a lever action in .44 mag , or 45LC I would buy the 220f. But if like me you reload, try to find an older JM stamped Marlin 336c in 35 Remington. You can trim the brass down to 1.775" and be PL legal, and the 35 Remington beats the daylights out of any slug gun in all respects.

SteelDude91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2018
    NWI
    I have a HUGE amount of experience with 12 ga fully rifled and smooth bore slug guns. I own a Marlin 512 Slugmaster, a Browning A-Bolt Slughunter, and a NEF 920 Tracker single shot slug gun. I have spent more money on shooting sabot slug ammo than I would admit at gun point and after 25+ years of slug guns and hundreds and hundreds of slugs sent down range along with a butt load of my $$$, allow me to make this recommendation.

If you must buy a slug gun get a 20 gauge Savage 220f, hands down best production slug gun money can buy. I've seen far to many examples that shot 1.25" or better and often MUCH better to know they are the real deal.

Second if you can, hunt with a high power rifle as you will never regret it. But if my choices were between a 20ga slug gun and a lever action in .44 mag , or 45LC I would buy the 220f. But if like me you reload, try to find an older JM stamped Marlin 336c in 35 Remington. You can trim the brass down to 1.775" and be PL legal, and the 35 Remington beats the daylights out of any slug gun in all respects.
    I grew up hunting with slug guns myself, and spent a lot of time like yourself shooting slugs in preparation for the season..Every brand, every combination of reload my dad could come up with. The Ithaca Deerslayer was and still is my personal favorite, but once I switched to .44 magnum it was a game changer. Both my Marlin in .44 and my current favorite Ruger m77 in .44 beat the pants off the slug guns in achieving consistently accurate shots, and with more than enough power to knock down every deer I've encountered.
    Are slugs bad? No. But IMO they've been a handicap, not to mention the fact that it is MUCH more cost effective to practice and really learn your hunting platform with a lever/bolt gun in whichever flavor you choose.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Ok here are the parameters:
    Indiana deer legal,
    Max $500 budget on this project
    (total including optic - ammo, sling, rings, etc not a factor),
    You already have the 870 or 500 12ga,
    You already have a .223 bolt action rifle (no optic).

Would you get a deer barrel and nice optic (Vortex 3-9×40 ??)
    Or
    a sub $500 bolt action like a Ruger American with Redfield, savage, the T/C + Vortex bundle on sale right now, etc??

Well I grabbed a "(like) new" Remington 783 in .308 with factory scope. I'm about $112.50 into it so an inexpensive experiment it will be. I'll add a Vortex 3-9x40. I'm sure I'll eventually want to upgrade from the 783 but we'll see how she runs!

Got it painted, getting a Vortex diamondback 3-9x40 from Alan next week. First rounds I'm gonna try are Barnes 168gr.
    00A0A_5p7IoelGRRS_1200x900.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    On slug guns.............why the hell own a bolt rig?
    I had a couple of 870's that shot under 2" groups at 100.
    Drilled and tapped receivers, reg rifle sight rifled bbls. Did trigger jobs, had high comb stocks and left them together for the season.
    I had the accuracy and firepower.

Some folks say you'll never need a quick 2nd shot.
    Maybe, maybe not.

Nice to have such insurance. Or take mult deer quickly.

I have seen hunters w pumps that don't "run" them. So for them, there is no advantage.
    For them it's shoot, then focus on working the action, then try to aim again. One shot wonders.
    It's not aim boom aim boom aim boom.

Like these guys in the dove field. More birds blow by them :)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Bolt rigs and single shots are cool............good enough reason to own em.
    But I don't think in slug gunning they offer any advantage, other than maybe a better stock trigger (some models).
    If I had to run another slug gun..........870 all the way.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I tested ammo, bbls, choke tubes and cleaning intervals across several rigs.
    That's just data collection.
    As for learning "platforms".............I think that BS. You either know how to shoot, and what you are shooting, or ya don't.
    Plot your hold/drop by placing targets at diff distances and you're done.
    One need not burn a million dollars in slugs to be a good slug shooter.
    But then most shooters suck no matter what they blast, and big recoil and stupid setups and or bad form aint gonna help.

PCR probably has helped folks with recoil.
    Alas, lots of targets w .44 holes have them all over.
    They might be better shots.............but the change to rifle didn't make a slob into a superstar.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Everyone is different, and each has their own tastes.
    I've become partial to lever guns over the years.
    There are many contributing factors,not the least of which was Chuck Conners as "The Rifleman".

I started hunting deer in Indiana with a Mossberg 500 and had great success.
    When they started allowing PCR's I bought a JM stamped .44mag 1894 and never looked back to the slug gun.

I hunt private land, so last year I bought another new Marlin(gton) 336 in .35Remington.
    I was astounded at the performance from that .35 caliber pill.

I've gotten proficient enough with lever guns that I have taken two deer at the same setting, one after the other,boom-lever-boom. Two doe down.
    Now mind you, my shots are short distances.
    The property I hunt does not allow a shot more than about 30-40 yards. Between terrain and foliage you just can't see any further.

I've taken two deer on two occasions like this, but on both occasions there were at least 3 deer present.
    I've not gotten a good sight picture on the third one...yet.

I do love my lever guns.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Got it painted, getting a Vortex diamondback 3-9x40 from Alan next week. First rounds I'm gonna try are Barnes 168gr.
    00A0A_5p7IoelGRRS_1200x900.jpg

IMO, there is very little reason to use a Barnes bullet that heavy in a .308 for deer. Barnes bullets work better the faster you push them and penetrate like a conventional bullet roughly 30% heavier. I would drop down to the 150 grain or even the 130 grain bullets. Premium bullets are really not necessary for deer but it is hard to recommend against the TTSX or TSX and in the end it is relatively cheap insurance.

Top Bottom