• Which rifle should I buy?

• Total voters

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I'm trying to decide which rifle to buy. I've decided on the caliber, 6.5 Creedmoor, and the manufacturer, Mossberg. Now I need to decide on which model.

First up is the new 2018 Precision Rifle. https://www.mossberg.com/product/mvp-precision-rifle-27962/

27962-catalog.jpg

It offers a lot but I've not found any place that has them in stock.

Next is the original 2017 LC chassis version of the MVP. https://www.mossberg.com/product/mvp-lc-rifle-27786/

27786-catalog.jpg

It's been out for about a year and includes a brake and a bipod. The brake has a QD for a Silencer Co suppressor which I don't have so I would replace it with a brake/QD that would work with my suppressors. Availability is also limited.

Next is the 2018 version of the LC chassis MVP. https://www.mossberg.com/product/mvp-lc-rifle-28018/

28018-catalog.jpg

It has the same features and specs as the 2017 but doesn't have the Brake or bipod.

Lastly is the LR version. https://www.mossberg.com/product/mvp-lr-rifle-27784/

27784-catalog.jpg

It is readily available but it seems to lack some of the features of the other.

All of them have threaded barrels and a removable AR-10 Pmag. I'm leaning toward the 2018 LC but considering the 2018 Precision. Cost is a consideration but not a 100% determining factor. Regardless of which one I get I know I'll need some decent glass for it and maybe a bipod.
    Any input is welcome,
    Dan

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    To answer your question instead of questioning your question.

Depends on how much you tend to modify your purchase. If you are going to put on a custom stock and go from there then the LR version.

Also how patient are you? It may be a long wait to get the one you really want but to buy one you will just sell when you finally find the one you want could be detrimental to your wallet.

cgbills

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Avon
    At that price point look at the savage 10 BA Stealth or Bergara b14 hmr. Though I say save up a little more for a Ruger Precision Rifle, the features are hard to beat.

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I picked up one of these on a whim, put a refurb PST on it from Alan at AAOptics and have a 6/10's moa shooter on factory ammo for less than $1500. No doubt in my mind it will shoot 1/2 moa with handloads and quality dies.

Howa?s New Long Range Rifle | On Target Magazine (mine is a 6.5 creedmoor)

I have a Ruger Precision. It accurate but very ammo sensitive though can be super accurate if you take the time to develop a handload. YMMV

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    And this is why I would never ask a question like the OP did. You mostly get comments about anything other than what you asked.

OP, just get the one that strikes your fancy.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    And this is why I would never ask a question like the OP did. You mostly get comments about anything other than what you asked.

I have to agree.
    I bought a Mossberg Patriot rifle last year chambered in .30-06.
    I didn't buy it because of extensive research or recommendations from others.
    I bought it because I found a sale price that was not to be matched.

I didn't buy the rifle with any preconceived expectations, but still, I was not disappointed with my purchase.
    It ended up being much better quality than I thought possible for the price point.
    It fills a niche in my collection, and fulfills my needs, if I need a .30-06.

O.P.
    there is nothing wrong with Mossberg.
    They have been around making solid, serviceable firearms long enough to know what they're doing.
    No, Mossberg is not the top of the line, but it's most definitely NOT junk either.
    I seriously doubt you would be disappointed with any of the models you've listed.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have the Mossberg MVP LR in 5.56 that I bought at Cabela's on a whim some time ago. It has been a cool rifle and fun to mess with at the range. I had some problems initially with light strikes but sent it back to Mossberg and they made it right (and quickly).

I had decided I wanted something bolt action and liked the idea of using my AR mags in it. I don't now the prices of all that you had listed in your post, and I have had success with Ruger as well as a brand in general, but I have been pleased with my MVP for what it's worth...

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

Well he actualy put a "none of the above" option and asked for an explanation. So this OP actualy is getting what he asked for just to clear that up for you

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I've owned a Savage 10ba stealth, shooting side by side with the LC I was so disappointed in my choice. The lc's are Rock solid performers you won't be disappointed.

cgbills

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Avon
    My lgs has 4 rifles at least in 6.5 creedmoor, pretty sure the ruger precision is one of them. I know next to nothing about the round but it seems high $$ to get into.
    Actually match 6.5 Creedmoor is the same price or less than 308 match ammo.

Top Bottom