• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Buckster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SW
    I have a Marlin 30-30 Model 336c that has a Bushnell 3x9 scope on it. It's in very good condition. I've hunted with it for years before switching to a 30-06. If I ever decide to sell it, does anybody have an general idea of what I might be able to get for it?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Is it JM stamped? Before the Remington acquisition. Makes a difference in folks looking for a Marlin. Other than that Gunbroker is your friend. Create an account and sign in then you can search completed auctions and see what they are selling for. Good luck.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The most common of the marlin rifles ever made. The standard carbine in 30-30.
    MSRP new is over 600 but these new rifles sell for half that on sale.

It is worth 300-400 open market in mint shape ect. Truthfully it is a better rifle than the resale value is worth. Just like some other classics like the 870 rem and ruger 10-22 there are far to many in circulation to offer much interest in anything but A working mans rifle. Personally a working man’s rifle suits me just fine. Shoot it love it it is a fine rifle. N

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Good advice from Thor, if you are going to sell it locally wait a few months closer to deer season.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I know indiucky owns a gun shop, and I work in a shop, and i'll tell you the same thing that I think he says (and I'm sure every shop says) with out seeing the gun in our hands, its really hard to give a value i've had people tell me "its like brand new" and believe me my idea of "like brand new" is a hell of a lot different from theirs!, apparently "like brand new" the them meant half the finish was gone, its pitted so bad it looks like the surface of the moon, and looks like jr has used the grips for a teething ring!

most (not all) gun shops will give you an idea of what its worth, but like thor said, and I tell people the same thing, register for gunbroker (its free) and look at the completed auctions (you have to register to see those) but even then be careful! if you see the same gun listed multiple times they want too much. then the last thing "I saw it on the internet for x dollars" doesn't mean its worth "x dollars" that's why you look at finished auctions

I guarantee you, if I listed a hi point on gun broker for 1000 dollars, somebody would come into the shop and say "but I saw in on the internet for a thousand dollars"

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My dad taught me at a very young age, that any object is "worth" what you can get someone to give you for it, at any given time.
    A $100 bill is only "worth" $10 if that's all someone will give you for it. On the other hand, if you can get someone to give you $1000 for that $100 bill, then it was "worth" $1000.

Thor is giving you the best advice.
    Check the COMPLETED auctions on Gunbroker.
    It will give you a very good idea what your particular model is going for "today".

Buckster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SW
    Is it JM stamped? Before the Remington acquisition. Makes a difference in folks looking for a Marlin. Other than that Gunbroker is your friend. Create an account and sign in then you can search completed auctions and see what they are selling for. Good luck.

No, it's not stamped. I purchased it in the late seventies. It's been a great rifle and I may just hold on to it. Great idea about Gunbroker - thanks.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Buckster it is stamped. Look at the barrel near the receiver. You should see a JM in a circle and that is the proof mark. What you have is a pre safety JM stamped marlin 336 carbine in 30-30.

Me being the marlin lover I am knew from just the 336C (carbine) mark it was made between 1969 and 1983. Before 1969 from 1948 on the same gun was marked 336RC (regular carbine) and in 1984 it would be marked 336CS (carbine safety).

These guns sold well from 1948 to today. It was not old enough to be before factory scope hole drilled ( what they like to call a waffle top) and not nearly old enough to be a perch belly forearm. . It is to old to be a remlin version. What it is is the classic marlin 30-30 as mr marlin intended. The gun that most likely has taken the most amount of deer nationally since 1948 to today over every other model of firearm made. It is the 10-22 or rem 870 of the lever action world and every hunter or family of hunters should have at least one in the safe.

When the North Korean’s invade the USA the US rebels will be air dropping 30-30 ammo into the area’s south of the mason Dixon line like cold Beer at the Indy 500 when it is hot.

spankys56

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    NWI
    Like I said earlier in the condition you describe and being a JM it's a $500 gun. True pre safety marlin 30-30! A keeper for sure. One you pass down to your kids and grandkids.

solarpimp

Plinker
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    Irvington
    Everyone should have a good Lever Action. It will be interesting to see if the recent changes in deer calibers in Indiana will diminish the values of these fine rifles. I own 2 Ruger M44's from that era and there is just something about the quality of the workmanship for the relatively low dollar amount spent on the rifles from that era. They don't make rifles like that anymore!

Buckster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SW
    Buckster it is stamped. Look at the barrel near the receiver. You should see a JM in a circle and that is the proof mark. What you have is a pre safety JM stamped marlin 336 carbine in 30-30.

I pulled it out of the safe and took another look. You are exactly right! The stamp is small so I missed it the first time I looked. Thanks!

Top Bottom