• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    One of my coworkers recently had an AR10 built. He is using a PSA upper and lower reciever, kak industrie bcg, and a ballistic advantage barrel.
    Ok so he had a gunsmith do the assembly and everything feels smooth when the bolt is cycled by hand (unloaded).
    When he loads a mag it feeds into the chamber but it hangs up and can't extract the casing with the charging handle. He has to hold the charging handle back while pounding the butt stock on the floor..or he can use a soft face hammer and pound on the charging handle. It eventually extracts the case.

He has cleaned and oiled the bcg, and tried removing one of the extractor springs (has two, removed the smaller one). But still has the same problem.
    Any ideas???

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Does the round fully chamber and the bolt is in battery? He just has extraction of a live round problem?

Either ammo is out of spec, or possibly the headspace is a tad tight, short chambered a little, or the bolt is a little too beefy and causing the tight chamber.

If the round fully chambers and the bolt goes into battery fully, I'd shoot a round or two and see how it acts. The bolt and the extension could just need to wear a bit.

If the ammo doesn't fully chamber (and passes a case gauge), I'd call the gunsmith or Ballistic Advantage

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    One of my coworkers recently had an AR10 built. He is using a PSA upper and lower reciever, kak industrie bcg, and a ballistic advantage barrel.
    Ok so he had a gunsmith do the assembly and everything feels smooth when the bolt is cycled by hand (unloaded).
    When he loads a mag it feeds into the chamber but it hangs up and can't extract the casing with the charging handle. He has to hold the charging handle back while pounding the butt stock on the floor..or he can use a soft face hammer and pound on the charging handle. It eventually extracts the case.

He has cleaned and oiled the bcg, and tried removing one of the extractor springs (has two, removed the smaller one). But still has the same problem.
    Any ideas???

So he paid an alleged "Gunsmith" to put his rifle together. I think the alleged "Smith" should be dealing with this. It is pretty obvious he did not check his work.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Does the ejected brass have any nasty marks or scratches on it?
    Could be a burr in the chamber somewhere.

Has the new rifle been lubed?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sounds like it has a AR15 buffer spring

Having to hammer the charging handle really has nothing to do with the spring.

I had the same issue with the last PSA crap ass parts rifle I built. Near the exact issue.
    Found a cleaning brush that was tight in the chamber. Put it on a rod. Chucked it up in a drill. Took my time cleaning the chamber with it. I used oil on the brush. After a few runs the round would cycle through and not stick.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Sounds like the bolt to me.

Disclaimer. I HATE making internet diagnosis on guns. If I have it in front of me its accurate.
    It's like driving a car on a curvy road and driving by feel.

Via Internet it's like tossing an egg over a house and hoping it hits your target

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    :popcorn:I’d be questioning the “smith” as to why his build is unsat? Definitely sounds like a bolt or chamber issue, but as stated, that’s just me tossing an egg.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the info guys. I will pass it along.
    I'm not sure at this point if I would blame the 'smith. My understanding is he just assembled the parts.

If he can remove the bolt and drop a round fully into the chamber, would that indicated correct head space?
    My amateur opinion is it is either an issue with the bolt or maybe something with the machining of the chamber.
    I know he has tried excessively lubing the bolt but that didn't help.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Having to hammer the charging handle really has nothing to do with the spring.

I had the same issue with the last PSA crap ass parts rifle I built. Near the exact issue.
    Found a cleaning brush that was tight in the chamber. Put it on a rod. Chucked it up in a drill. Took my time cleaning the chamber with it. I used oil on the brush. After a few runs the round would cycle through and not stick.

Ah! THIS IS WHY YOU'RE A PSA HATER!!!

Thumper

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    South Indy
    Best thing is to let him try the buffer spring out of mine.AR15 spring has enough to force the bolt forward and not enough to force extractor over the rim causing a lock up.I like mine alot better than my ruger sr762

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Best thing is to let him try the buffer spring out of mine.AR15 spring has enough to force the bolt forward and not enough to force extractor over the rim causing a lock up.I like mine alot better than my ruger sr762

A possibility.

Again, go see the guy that put it together.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Well he did something with removing O rings from the ejector and was able to manually cycle a full mag through it. So it would appear at the moment to be related to the ejector.

He is lurking as a guest somewhere. He has been following y'all responses

Top Bottom