• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • solarpimp

Plinker
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    Irvington
    I am looking to purchase one or the other and I am curios if anyone has physically shot either or both?

Several casual observations and concerns.

- It looks like the Mossberg has one additional round but the Remington can be modified to carry an additional round. Evidently the Remington has detents in the tube that must be drilled out to accomplish this though.
    - The Remington looks to have a more durable finish as it is coated where the Mossberg is just blued.
    - The Remington has a steel receiver and the Mossberg has an aluminum receiver. How does that effect durability? How much does that effect perceived recoil for the shooter?
    - Apparently Remington has had some QC issues with other firearms. I wonder if the TAC-14 will suffer from this?
    - Opsol makes a "mini-clip adapter" to allow the Mossberg to use the Aguila 1.75" Mini-Shells, further increasing capacity. I wonder if the same will be available for the Remington at any point?

Any hands on info or opinions on the above is appreciated!

Thanks and good shooting ladies and gents!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I’ve got the TAC-14, and it is decent enough, but I haven’t shot the Mossy to compare. I’m not a fan of the Mossberg in anything but the 590/590A1 configuration, the 500’s were just too weak. The Tac14 is, as I said, decent, but nowhere near as nice as my older 870P(thank you Freedom Group).

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    I prefer Mossberg personally, especially because of where the controls are located versus Remington. The aluminum receiver doesn’t bother me because I don’t hear about it being an issue. Newly produce Remingtons on the other hand are not talked well about, enough that I don’t own one.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've been a Mossberg fan for more than 40 years.
    The model 500 12ga was my first shotgun, so I got used to the controls where they were.

I like them well enough I now own the model 500 in 12ga, 20ga, .410bore, as well as an old 1940's era model 144, a brand new Patriot in .30-06, and a model 464 in .30-30.
    My next Mossberg will be the Shockwave, but I can't make up my mind if I want the 12ga or 20 ga.
    If they come out with a .410 bore model I'll have to buy all 3!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I think it comes down to which one you are used to. I grew up with Remingtons (and shoot left handed) and they are just what comes natural to me as far as handling.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I owned a Mossberg for a bit and it was fun to shoot. I did not like the cloth handloop thing on the foregrip. Also, if I'm not mistaken the Mossberg holds one more.

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    Like expat, I have always used Remington. I went with the 20 gauge tac 14. Easy to shoot. I have about 200 Rounds out of mine with no problems.

Last edited:

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    I've had both 500 and 870 shotguns and don't really prefer one over the other. Both have been made for decades so there's not much sense in worrying about whether one might be better than the other,...they're both proven. Haven't touched a TAC-14 but do have a Shockwave(that I haven't even fired). Of the two I chose the Mossberg because of the safety location and the availability of the mini clip adaptor. It's been out for a couple of years for the Mossberg but not for the Remington and there's probably a reason for that.

The thing with the adaptor is that the mini shells are hard to find and a buck apiece when you do find them. I already had a case of both buck and slug from when nobody wanted the stuff and it was cheap. I wouldn't do it today. What I do do is run the 2-1/4" shells that are available off the shelf at Cabelas or from their website. I got Herters but there's another brand available. Stuff ran 60 cents/rd buck or slug delivered and it feeds through both guns with no adjustment. It's basically a reduced recoil load and a free +1 in either gun whereas the Aquila minis are a +2 in the Mossy only. With these shells available I don't understand why anyone would want a 20ga. The gun isn't any smaller or lighter.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I ordered the Shockwave today (be in middle of next week) along with the OPSol Mini-Clip ( I have a few boxes laying around). Im like a few others, I have both Remington and Mossberg, the Mossberg just seems a little smoother to me and I like that it holds one more shell.

pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    Im really digging my shockwave and have grown fond of the top safety over my 870s. I had the grip stippled, barrel ported, added fiber optic front sight and added a side saddle.

MFjAb71.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom