• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BadWolf5150

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2018
    Marshall County
    Hi new to gun ownership. Have a .2 Mossberg 500 12GA. Would like to shoot clay pigeons on my property (10 acres) but am unsure of the safe distance I need. 1, how far should the pigeon be when you shoot it? 30 yards? 2, How much distance do you need behind it for safety. I have a treeline on the property and I want to ensure I am back far enough away that I'm not shooting shot into the woods. I'm trying to best understand where to position myself, where the clays will be shot at, and ensuring there is enough distance behind the target for safety.

Thanks for any advice!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have seen number 9 shot carry 300 yards if the wind is right. I am chuckling about your question about the distance to bust the pigeon. Sorry. But there is not a proscribed distance as far as I know.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Pulled this information from Shotgunworld.com Keep in mind magnum, nitro and handicap type loads will likely add to these published numbers. Altitude also factors in. Sloughfoot's number of 300 yds. is pretty close to the min recommended distance from what I have read on the trap forums.

[FONT=&amp]"A French ballistics expert, General Journee, years ago worked out a formula to the effect that the maximum range in yards equals 2200 times the shot diameter in inches. When the gun is held at a horizontal position or only slightly elevated, this formula gives the maximum range of shot sizes as shown below. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]No. 2 - 330 yards [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]No. 4 - 286 yards [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]No. 6 - 242 yards [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]No. 7 1/2- 209 yards [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]No. 8 - 198 yards "[/FONT]

Last edited:

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    As long as you're not pointing at houses you're fine. Shotshell will rain down a couple hundred yds but is harmless unless it's the neighbors roof. You will be shooting 30 yds. Don't need much backdrop as long as it's your land.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have seen number 9 shot carry 300 yards if the wind is right. I am chuckling about your question about the distance to bust the pigeon. Sorry. But there is not a proscribed distance as far as I know.

The best distance to bust the bird is as soon as you can get on it! :):

BadWolf5150

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2018
    Marshall County
    As long as you're not pointing at houses you're fine. Shotshell will rain down a couple hundred yds but is harmless unless it's the neighbors roof. You will be shooting 30 yds. Don't need much backdrop as long as it's your land.

Awese thanks for the help everyone !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

asevans

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Loose the clay just off to the left or right of where your standing so it goes straight out away from you. Then bust it. Once you get better you can try crossing and longer shots. Shoot it as quick as you can

Top Bottom