• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I have the opportunity to trade for a lightly used Marlin 336C Lever Action chambered in .35 Remington. A lot of the information I'm finding is that it is a decent caliber, can be sized down to be deer legal, and somewhat pricey for collector items. With this being a new production gun, what kind of used value am I looking at? Does anyone have any first hand experience saying "stay away" or "run and get it now"? I'm a big fan of the Marlin .44 Mag that my dad hunts with so I'm hoping this is similar. Thanks!

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    That was my first deer gun, I love those 336 .35's. I had another a few years ago but sold it. Came upon another one with a decent Redfield scope at Highsmiths and bought it. There's a ton of those out there I don't think they have any particular collector interest? Good solid guns.

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    The 35 Rem. is a great deer cartridge for 200yds and under. The cartridge is deer legal on private land without any changes and easily shortened for public land requirements. A friend of mine has a 336 Marlin in 35 Rem. and I kind of covet the thing. If your happy with the price on it, I would grab it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have an old Marlin 336 in 35, good rifle. My preferred hunting rifle in 35 is the Remington Model 8.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    The 35 Rem. is a great deer cartridge for 200yds and under. The cartridge is deer legal on private land without any changes and easily shortened for public land requirements. A friend of mine has a 336 Marlin in 35 Rem. and I kind of covet the thing. If your happy with the price on it, I would grab it.

I think I'm pretty settled on it, so just working out the details now. Trading a 20Ga SxS that I have no use for at all. Ill agree that Minute of Deer (MOD) looks good on paper.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I should have been a little more specific. The older Marlins (JM stamped and pre 1980) have some interest. The new 336C models do not from my quick search. Either way I'm hoping this works out!

SteelDude91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2018
    NWI
    I should have been a little more specific. The older Marlins (JM stamped and pre 1980) have some interest. The new 336C models do not from my quick search. Either way I'm hoping this works out!
    What he said.
    JM stamped can really bump a price up for the right individual and at gun shows but in all reality they can still be had at mom n pop places for fairly cheap.
    I'm going to assume the SxS is a Stevens and if so I'd say that's a fairly good trade on your part.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I found a deal on a new Marlington 336 in .35REM last year right before the season opened.
    This rifle took my first head-shot deer. I was FINALLY comfortable enough in the gun, the distance, and my abilities to try it.

The opportunity that presented itself was almost ideal, and a complete shock for me.
    I had three doe come in from my right. They walked diretctly out in front of me at about 25 yards, and stopped offering a perfect broadside shot.
    As I raised the rifle the biggest one, still showing me a broadside, turned her head and looked over her back.

She was headed to my left as her body stood, but when I pulled the trigger, I hit her about 1" behind the ear on the right side of her head.
    She dropped in her tracks and never moved.
    I managed to drop number 2 as well, but with a broadside shot. She was dancing too much for another head shot.
    Number 3 got way clean.

When I went to collect my prizes, my head-shot doe had a neck that was broken/separated at every vertebrae.
    Her entire neck was a limp rag.

I'm hooked on the .35Remington for anything under 200 yards.
    Mine is a brand new one. I hear the old ones are better still.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Close, Stoeger. It is a 20Ga which I have no desire to get into since I am perfectly content with 12. It was won in a raffle so I shouldn't complain.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have been using a rimmed and shortened version of the 35 Remington in a T/C Contender for a few years and it is the first cartridge that has kept my attention for hunting deer for more than a single season. I have used several different cartridges from the 357 Mag to the 460 and 500 S&W and for me, the 35 Remington just makes the most sense for public land deer.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Love my Marlin 336, 35Rem. It's an older one (67' I think) given to me by my Dad. It's taken deer, turkey, hog, yote, and beaver. My dad called it his "neck shootin' gun". He'd shoot deer in the neck and drop em' in their tracks. I've also seen him take the heads right off turkeys with it.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Unfortunately the guy backed out on me today. A little upset, but I should have known better than to trust someone from Armslist. Thanks for all the info and advice everyone. I'll still be on the hunt for a lever action 35 Rem. The list keeps getting longer.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I found a deal on a new Marlington 336 in .35REM last year right before the season opened.
    This rifle took my first head-shot deer. I was FINALLY comfortable enough in the gun, the distance, and my abilities to try it.

The opportunity that presented itself was almost ideal, and a complete shock for me.
    I had three doe come in from my right. They walked diretctly out in front of me at about 25 yards, and stopped offering a perfect broadside shot.
    As I raised the rifle the biggest one, still showing me a broadside, turned her head and looked over her back.

She was headed to my left as her body stood, but when I pulled the trigger, I hit her about 1" behind the ear on the right side of her head.
    She dropped in her tracks and never moved.
    I managed to drop number 2 as well, but with a broadside shot. She was dancing too much for another head shot.
    Number 3 got way clean.

When I went to collect my prizes, my head-shot doe had a neck that was broken/separated at every vertebrae.
    Her entire neck was a limp rag.

I'm hooked on the .35Remington for anything under 200 yards.
    Mine is a brand new one. I hear the old ones are better still.

Words of my uncle in 1976 concerning his Marlin .35 Remington; "Out to 200 yards the deer is mine. Past 200 don't know where the bullet went."

randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    .35 Rem Marlin 336 is my favorite deer caliber/rifle by far. .44 works good too but every deer I've shot with the .35 didn't take a step.

Last edited:

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Sorry to hear of your bad luck. I own three, one each form myself and my sons and love them. Reloaders dream. Out performs all slug guns and if you reload far cheaper and much better ammo and a absolute blast to shoot. My boys burn through the plinking loads I make using cheaper 180 grain .357 Hornady XTP's. My reloads are pushing a 180 grain Speer Hot Core SJFP at 2300 FPS/MV. Fantastic 200 yard deer caliber.I can reload 20 rounds for under $11 VS $12 for a box of five shotgun sabot loads.

Give GunBroker a try I bought two from GB and one from Armslist.

Oh and did I mention they are accurate? And these ARE NOT the best groups I've shot to date. These Marlins 336C's are WAY mare accurate than I've any right to expect.

Attachments

• KIMG0055 (1).jpg
      KIMG0055 (1).jpg
      486.4 KB · Views: 4
    Last edited:

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Randy68,
    Where may I ask did you get what looks like aftermarket furniture for your Marlin? I might buy a 336c in need of a face lift. I'm guessing Boyds maybe?

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE to buy a 7600 Gamemaster in 35 Remington, but I simply can not justify spending $600 to over $800 on what is for all practical applications a short range deer rifle. Seen some beautiful ones FS but simply to pricy for what would be FOR ME a pure want and not a need, especially considering I already own three 336Cs.

Top Bottom