• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My latest Gunbroker find. Started its life as a Berthier Model 1916 long rifle (WWI). The history is a little murky, but after WWII, Turkey bought, was given, or had captured a lot of these rifles. At the time (1948) they were having trouble with poachers stealing their Turkish Walnut trees, so they cut these rifles down and issued them to their Forestry Department. As you can see, they were mix-masters with almost no matching numbers.

BiVATof.jpg

EkZv1j7.jpg

AyIhVbi.jpg

YD8AV6o.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That sure is a nice rifle. Where did you buy it and what kind of shape is the bore in?

I won it in an auction on Gunbroker. I really didn't expect to. I placed what I thought was a pretty "iffy" max bid right before going to bed one evening, fully expecting to be outbid, but when I got up the next morning I found that I won it. It went right up to my max bid, so if the other bidder had placed one more bid, I would've lost. The bore is pristine - grooves and lands all have a mirror shine. I don't think this one saw much use.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    NICE rifle OP! There is a Bur-tea-aye carbine coming up for sale at the LaPorte auction 07 APR 18. I would bid on it myself, but I will be out of state on vacation at that time... :(

I've acquired several long guns for very cheap at this auction in the past - a $45 Stevens pump shotgun, and a $75 Swiss Vetterli, both functional / shootable condition. This Berthier is the more common 5 shot late war French carbine type, and in quite good condition, But I would be surprised if it sold for $200 - people at these auctions tend not to bid on things they aren't familiar with, and only Cruffler nuts know what a Berthier is.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    NICE rifle OP! There is a Bur-tea-aye carbine coming up for sale at the LaPorte auction 07 APR 18. I would bid on it myself, but I will be out of state on vacation at that time... :(

I've acquired several long guns for very cheap at this auction in the past - a $45 Stevens pump shotgun, and a $75 Swiss Vetterli, both functional / shootable condition. This Berthier is the more common 5 shot late war French carbine type, and in quite good condition, But I would be surprised if it sold for $200 - people at these auctions tend not to bid on things they aren't familiar with, and only Cruffler nuts know what a Berthier is.

They scared me away the first time I saw one too. Loved the look, but I thought with that "weird" caliber it would be too expensive to feed. Then I found out about PPU commercial ammo and learned to reload for myself too. Opened up a lot of possibilities!

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I like French stuff as well, and I'm looking to pick up a Lebel or a Berthier - I dabble in reloading already, and It would allow me to kill two birds with one stone - I could make 10.4mm Swiss from my extra 8mm Lebel casings!

Another reason I'm miffed I won't be attending. :xmad:

Just an aside: when I was bidding on the Vetterli, some guy said to me: "You don't want THAT! ... It's a RIMFIRE!" :rolleyes: took me 5 min to convert to centerfire. Waiting on my die set now. :):

Last edited:

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I can not see on this screen is it "N" stamped????

Damn beautiful rifle.. I think the Turk Forestry Carbine is the most perfect development of the Berthier rifle line..

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I like French stuff as well, and I'm looking to pick up a Lebel or a Berthier - I dabble in reloading already, and It would allow me to kill two birds with one stone - I could make 10.4mm Swiss from my extra 8mm Lebel casings!

Another reason I'm miffed I won't be attending. :xmad:

Just an aside: when I was bidding on the Vetterli, some guy said to me: "You don't want THAT! ... It's a RIMFIRE!" :rolleyes: took me 5 min to convert to centerfire. Waiting on my die set now. :):

Wow, I didn't know about the Vetterli conversion and using Lebel brass for that! I have a Vetterli/Carcano that was converted to 6.5 Carcano from the original Swiss caliber. I do make my own 30-40 Krag ammo from .303 Brit brass though.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I can not see on this screen is it "N" stamped????

Damn beautiful rifle.. I think the Turk Forestry Carbine is the most perfect development of the Berthier rifle line..
    No, it doesn't have the N marking, so I'll definitely be sticking with PPU or my reloads. We'll have to have another Berthier/Lebel shoot soon. Although I'm still lacking in the Lebel department.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    No, it doesn't have the N marking, so I'll definitely be sticking with PPU or my reloads. We'll have to have another Berthier/Lebel shoot soon. Although I'm still lacking in the Lebel department.

Kool... wonder where that hid out when the French did their conversions..

Mon Ami ..If it shoots 8mm Lebel.. It can be part of a lebel shoot.. For that fact if it was made to shoot 8mm label and converted say to shoot that new fancy 7.5mm it should count.. Oh Heck if someone french kissed with a gun in the house.. That one should come also..

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN

Kool... wonder where that hid out when the French did their conversions..

Mon Ami ..If it shoots 8mm Lebel.. It can be part of a lebel shoot.. For that fact if it was made to shoot 8mm label and converted say to shoot that new fancy 7.5mm it should count.. Oh Heck if someone french kissed with a gun in the house.. That one should come also..

I knew you two were Canadian, but I never imagined you were FRENCH CANADIAN!!! :dunno:

RaoulHayduke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2018
    West of Indy
    I always thought Berthiers were neat. I had heard a story that allegedly, some of these Turkish guns came from a shipment bound for French Syria that were never converted to Balle N.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Very nice! I think the alterations to the wrist of the rifle are quite interesting.

Top Bottom