• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    ...a pretty nice guy here on INGO really wanted a rifle I had listed for trade. He spent the better part of a couple days making trade and (generous) cash offers. He eventually got my attention when he offered this old beat up Wingmaster. I'm more of a Mossberg 500 kind of guy but I'm even more of a sucker for any old quality guns like this so we evened out the deal +/- a few things here and there.
    It was really dirty, dusty, gritty and rusty. It's missing a small chunk at the bottom of the stock. Doesn't affect a thing really. I stripped it all down and started soaking everything in stages. I use a concoction of breakfree CLP and Hoppe's. A light brass wool brush and stiff cloth.
    Once thoroughly cleaned, dried, lubed (took forever lol), the bolt and the bore are nearly spotless. Shiny. The old rusty a** patina on the receiver is awesome.
    As I reassembled it I was truly amazed at the craftsmanship. So tight and smooth like butter all at the same time. Textbook cycling of shells.
    28" mod barrel dated Sept. 1967
    I was a little surprised when I called the Remington historians and was told the serial number on the receiver is Sept. 1967. Very cool.
    I cannot wait to put some shells in the air with this beauty. I may have to wait a few weeks. In the meantime I'll be performing the one and only major renovation: wood repair and a recoil pad.
    Any advice on fixing the chip in the wood stock? is much appreciated!

00H0H_3KGUOA5z0jV_1200x900.jpg

01313_1kEkCIFYxlQ_1200x900.jpg

00H0H_6u7seupMIZo_1200x900.jpg

00j0j_c58zDzh8is4_1200x900.jpg

01212_17i2iamJIg0_1200x900.jpg

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    It's hard to tell in the pics, but it doesn't look like very much wood is gone, more just the piece broken off of the butt plate and a little bit of wood gone.

If you want to put on a recoil pad, you might be able to cut off the bottom 3/4" or so from the butt so that you have the same length of pull. If that's the case, you'll be cutting off most, or all of the chipped area. In my opinion, that's the best option for leaving you with a stock that looks original, with no visible repair, and wouldn't require any refinishing.

If you want to restore it with an original butt plate, I'd get a replacement butt plate, install that, and maybe put a piece of waxed paper between the plate and the wood, and carefully apply a quality wood filler to fill the chipped out places, making it even with the plate. That would leave a visible repair, though. If that's done carefully, you wouldn't need to refinish the stock.

The other option would be to cut the chipped area out flat, and glue a grain-matched piece of wood in and work it down. I've done and seen repairs like that on several guns and furniture pieces, and most of those also leave a visible repair also. And, that would require refinishing the whole stock (including the forearm if you want to have them match).

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    If it were me. I would look for a replacement stock rather than cut it down. I am just that way though, I do not like stuff modified from factory original. Just my :twocents:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Nice gun. If you're going to go with a new recoil pad I do what big box said and cut it to the desired length of pull. Since the stocks already damaged it shouldn't hurt the value. You can always get a stock replacement later if you really felt the need.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Two of my most important guns to me are a Wingmaster 12 ga that my father bought me as a college graduation gift, and his 50's vintage 16 ga Wingmaster, that I got after he died.

Litebow

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Near Avon
    I still have my 12 gauge Wingmaster I bought in 67 or 68. Lots of clays and 13 Deer with it. I also have two other 12 gauge Wingmasters, several extra barrels, a beautiful old 410 with two barrels, and a 20 gauge express. The old one is smooth as glass. Several others have come and gone over the years. If I could only own only one centerfire long gun, it would be an 870.

randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Love the older wingmasters. I have a 20 ga that looks a lot like yours with handling marks too of course. That thing is so slick it pumps itself. I also have a newer 12 ga field grade but it isn't anything like my 20 in handling, looks or operation. But it hasn't been shot much either. I think I would look for a replacement stock if it were mine.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I've got a first year production wingmaster. To say it's smooth compared to today's stuff is an understatement.

I agree. Just shoot it. Don't mess with the stock.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I have my late grandpa's 1960s vintage 870 Wingmaster 20 gauge. If he would've marked a notch in the stock for every duck, goose, or rabbit he shot with it, there'd be no wood left.:D

I remember going goose hunting with him when I was a kid. It was a cold, rainy, nasty day and some guys with their 3-1/2" 12 gauges were teasing him about his little 20 gauge. They weren't teasing him when he limited out in the first 15 minutes and we went to the house where it was was warm and toasty while they stayed and froze their butts off.:laugh:

He gave it to me not long after that. I shot my first... Well... Everything with that gun. From deer to doves.:yesway:

Tom Threetoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Southwestern IN
    Two of my most important guns to me are a Wingmaster 12 ga that my father bought me as a college gradation gift, and his 50's vintage 16 ga Wingmaster, that I got after he died.
    I also have my dad's early '50s 16ga. Wingmaster. I've seen him make some incredible wing shots with that old gun, I've probably hunted with it more than he did and I think about our hunts together every time I pick it up.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I love the older Wingmasters. I've got one from 1972 in top notch condition. It seriously looks like it sat in a safe for 45 years. Smooth, like butter. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Last edited:

spankys56

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    NWI
    I have a 1956 corncob wingmaster 20ga and to say they don't make em like that anymore is a understatement. Do not do anything to that gun but shoot it. They are only original once.

Top Bottom