• Help me pick a set of iron sights

• Total voters

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Too much drama on INGO lately. So let’s get back to what we do best, spending each other’s money. Here is an easy thread and a chance for everyone to sign in and participate. Help me pick out a set of iron sights.

Gun will be a 14.5” Pinned AR. I want to keep this particular carbine trim and light. I plan to run iron sights as my primary sights. I am leaning towards fold down sights in case I ever mount an optic and so that the gun will take up less room in a bag. But I am not opposed to fixed iron sights.

My local shop stocks the MagPuls. I have mounted those on other people’s guns and they seem to like them. But in those situations they are BUIS and they have optics. The MagPuls are very small and light. I have always been happy with MagPul products.

Troys seem to be the go to standard. Are we still mad at Troy for being “sellouts”? I do like that they are a bit larger and have a more traditional sight picture.

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I love these ever since I tried them on another members AR. Picked up a set of my own this past holiday season.
    Diamond Integrated Sighting System

1199-2_medium.jpg

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Vurwappen blog did a buis test, basic magpul for the win. They may not look as sexy but they're better, and cheaper.
    Unless you mount them on or near your gas block, and shoot a lot. I run them on rails, just not gas blocks. My favorite sights are the KAC flip ups, but I have too many AR’s to have them on every one of them. So a couple have Magpuls, a couple have Troy, and a couple have KAC. My LMT has the monster LMT’s and my pistol has a Matech.

Yak9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I switched from Troy to MBUS PRO’s simply for their lower profile. However, as good as they are, I wouldn’t want to rely on them as primary sights on an AR (Troys would be a better choice in that regard). That being said, I’m a huge fan of the non-folding DD A1.5’s for their simplicity and robustness, and they would be my first choice for an irons-only carbine (they also work exceedingly well with a lower 1/3 co-witnessed RDS). YMMV, though.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    If you plan on running an optic, Id get the bobros. They’re the lightest at 1.7 oz for both and the thinnest. If irons are all you’re gonna run then get something else.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    118   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    I've used GG&G in the past. Nice feature is you push the button and they flip up and lock. They aren't the smallest, but seem solid. They offer some package pricing on their website.

I recently picked up a set on here of the LWRCI Skirmish sights. Seem a pretty solid choice. Very small footprint when down. Haven't run them yet, as I just got them.

https://www.lwrci.com/p-451-lwrci-skirmish-back-up-iron-sights-set.aspx

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    How far do you plan to shoot with the rifle?

Is quick sight acquisition a priority?

I will sight the gun in at 50 yards and call it good. Doubt I will ever shoot it past 100 yards.

I will I’ll look at the Midwest Industries sights. The Diamond sights look interesting but I think I will stick with something similar to what I am used to using.

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    Pending on your budget, and using them as your primaries, I say go with fixed. I was never a big fan of fixed irons, as I always typically run a reddot. However, I recently ordered a set of Scalarworks fixed irons for my PDW, and they are damn nice. I've only shot with them at 25 yds indoors, but they work well. Recently mounted a lower 1/3 mount with a T2 and really like the setup so far. If you're looking for a more cost effective route, you could always pick up a set of DDs and save about 100 bucks from the Scalarworks as well.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Mbus pro.
    I don't own barboro but I probably own about every other quality brand you could think of. Spikes 2nd gen billet low pro sights are nice too. Don't buy the first gen they suck and break in half.
    I like knights also. Troy I have on some (they were the hottest game in town but they're big and heavy and you do notice it) still but they've been getting replaced with the magpul mbus pro sights.

Top Bottom