Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    No experience with that model.
    It is a semi-auto shotgun.

I have now, 3 Mossberg 500's, one in .410bore, one in 20ga, and one in 12ga.
    For my tastes, this is the home defense shotgun.
    Well, either the 12 or 20, I wouldn't use a .410 unless I had to.

I've never felt under gunned with a pump, and there's no gas system to have problems with.
    I'm not knocking a semi, just not my cup of tea.

Now, since you said you were a shotgun novice,and you're looking at home defense, you might consider the new Mossberg Shockwave.
    It's a 14" barreled 12 or 20ga model 590 pump with a Raptor (birds-head) pistol grip.
    I believe it's a 5+1 and it's a NON-NFA item!
    It has to be one of the most convenient room sweepers available today.

If you're comfortable with a pump, and they're not hard to learn to use, it can be a very effective home defense tool.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have owned several. Had easily fixed issues with 2 of them.
    I have one now and it is in the HD rotation. I ran it last Saturday.....:yesway:

Tsssst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    South Bend
    I bought a 930 SPX last month and so far I love it. I've only been out with it twice but both times I took #8 shot and 00 buckshot and loaded them randomly together and it cranked it all out beautifully. I was lighting up the steel target.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I picked one up a few weeks ago but haven't shot it yet. Added a mesa combo top rail and side saddle, oversized charging handle and an Urbino stock.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    The SPX I had years ago ran great and ate everything without a hiccup, it's a good semi for the $$$. Only think I will add is practice like a mofo if it will be for home defense as a semi auto takes getting used to! Shotguns are a different beast all around when in experienced.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    They will throw a lot of lead in a hurry.

I always get a kick out of this
    [video=youtube;N5QTFvnENRc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5QTFvnENRc[/video]

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I have a 930 SPX that I picked up about four years ago from the INGO classifieds. It has always run perfect for me with all types of ammo. I got comfortable enough with mine early on to have it in my home defense lineup. I have a side saddle and a light on mine. If you get one, get very familiar with how to field strip, clean, and lube the gun to keep the gas system in top notch shape. If you're new to shotguns, go look up what "patterning" is and do that for the ammo you intend to use. Good luck. I think you will like the 930.

Tsssst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    South Bend
    I took the SPX out for the second time today. 00 buck, 8, 7 1/2, and 4, by Suprema, Federal, and Winchester, all random loads. I think I love this thing.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    The 930 Turkey was on my short list for a new coyote gun. Ended up picking up a Stoeger M3500 instead. Got the Stoeger for $100 less than I found the Mosberg.

Ben Nelson

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Corner of Walk & Dont Walk
    From what I've been seeing on the all-knowing Internet, it looks like the 930 had some QC issues (crooked sights) and was picky about ammo. I've gotten the impression that QC and ammo sensitively have improved. Can any current owners verify?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    From what I've been seeing on the all-knowing Internet, it looks like the 930 had some QC issues (crooked sights) and was picky about ammo. I've gotten the impression that QC and ammo sensitively have improved. Can any current owners verify?

Never had any of those issues but I did hear of the sight problem.

Tsssst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    South Bend
    I'd heard the ammo and sight stuff too, that's why when mine showed up I bought multiple manufacturers and sizes. The other day I had suprema, winchester, and federal all in it at once (the SPX has the extended tube that holds eight 2 3/4 inch shells), of 4, 7 1/2, 8, and 00. Ot blasted everything smooth and fast.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I have a few issues very early with some target loads. Since I've run 30 or so shells through it, there hasn't been an issue.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    Picked one of the new ones up at a 1500 last year. I have had a lot of time with shotgun in hand. I had always used pump guns for HD, but after running this 930, I now trust it completely. I highly recommend one! Mine has proven reliable and very fast!

Top Bottom