• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Thinking about putting one together just for the heck of it.

The actual A2 style uppers are pretty darn pricey, whereas I can just through a rail carry handle on for $50 or so and call it a day. Any thoughts/experiences either way?

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    I have a carry handle on one of mine. I took it off to put a scope on, but then remounted the carry handle. I just really like the look and quick target acquisition of it. Besides I have scoped ars if I really want to be more precise.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I really like the A2 sights. The A1 sights are unique, but not as nice IMO. I think irons are fast in CQB if you know what you're doing, and offer better precision at extended ranges vs a red dot.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    It's hard to think of a better combination than a 2x acog on top of an A2 receiver. Complete access to your sights while still having an optic when you need it. And while prone, you can reach through the carry handle to drop the bolt release, which is neigh impossible to do with a rail mounted carry handle.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    One of mine has it. I think everyone with multiple ar15s should have at least one with a carry handle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've always been a fan of carry handle AR-15's. I deployed with an M16A4 that had a carry handle on it. Back then it was the cool kit piece of gear to have until you tried to wrap your fingers inside the carry handle like you could with a regular A2. I have owned a couple AR's with removable carry handles for a rear sight. Personally when I look at an AR and the only thing on top is a folding rear sight all I can think is "WHY?". If all a guy would want is a rear sight, why not get one built like a tank that won't budge. I don't get the fascination with only a folding rear sight, but some people dig it for looks.

The last AR I put together I wanted a regular A2 upper receiver with the old school carry handle. Contacted BCM and White Oak Armament about putting something together with a standard A2 carry handle and fixed front sight post. Not asking for anything radical, just looking for something like the way they used to be. To the best of my knowledge, the only companies putting out factory rifles with A2 carry handle receivers from the factory are RRA and Bushmaster. RRA gets crossed off my list after the whole Illinois thing, and I'm not betting my life on a bushmaster. As a fun range toy kinda gun sure, Bushmaster makes 16" & 20" A2 AR's. Actually there's been more than one where I've seen incredible (sub $500) deals on them on gunbroker just because the A2 carry handle has fallen out of fashion.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I now have 2, used to have 3. I have an M16A1 and M16A2 type.

The A2 is nice if you do a lot of target shooting. The A1 is better for combat type shooting.

While the A1 has seen a retro Renaissance, it has yet to extend to the A2 yet and sources are dwindling pretty quick for carry handle A2s.

There is also the C7 type. This is A2 upper with the A1 sights. You can find those fairly cheap if you look.

If you want the 20 inch A2 upper. Best price I have seen for the complete government upper is AR15 sport. It is decently priced.
    AR15 complete uppers and build kits.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Nothing wrong with carry handle ARs. My part-time job has some old full auto bushmasters with ACOGs on the handle and they work very well. Would be a great fun rifle or HD.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I now have 2, used to have 3. I have an M16A1 and M16A2 type.

The A2 is nice if you do a lot of target shooting. The A1 is better for combat type shooting.

While the A1 has seen a retro Renaissance, it has yet to extend to the A2 yet and sources are dwindling pretty quick for carry handle A2s.

There is also the C7 type. This is A2 upper with the A1 sights. You can find those fairly cheap if you look.

If you want the 20 inch A2 upper. Best price I have seen for the complete government upper is AR15 sport. It is decently priced.
    AR15 complete uppers and build kits.

PSA has one I've had my eye on.

PSA 20" A2 Rifle Length 5.56 NATO 1:7 Nitride Freedom Upper With Carry Handle Assembly - No BCG Or CH - 516446027

Top Bottom