• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    Are all bump stocks illegal to possess or are they just illegal from this point on? A friend in Florida was asking if they need to turn the gun in or if they could change the stock. I would think that changing the stock would be sufficient, but I am not familiar with the executive order or the Florida law.

What are your thoughts on the issue? They just want to stay legal on the matter.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    How would they know he had it?

We're talking about Florida only, right? They haven't been made illegal nationally, yet. You could buy it from him, probably at a good discount. :D

Unless there's more to the language than I've seen in articles, you will keep the gun. They only want the piece of plastic.

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    Yes, only Florida. I will do some research to see if it's an issue. I see what you are saying about how would they know, but they are concerned and just want to be legal.

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    One of those don’t-ask-don’t-tell items till either the law is challenged and reversed (however likely/unlikely) or society breaks down and LE is too busy to care. It’s not as if they were ever registered or serial number’d to begin with (that I know of anyway), so it’s a total honor system (the “honor” being solely at the gun owners end anyway)

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I suggest peaceful non compliance. He'll be one of them standing in line one day to turn in his guns.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I know what bump stocks are but nobody has really explained ho they work to me. Could someone fill me in please?

Fairly simple, I don't own (or want one), but one of my (married) grandson's does. The stock is spring loaded so that when you fire the gun the stock collapses causing your trigger finger (if held properly) to release the trigger allowing it to reset. Then the stock "springs" back to its full length and your finger actuates the trigger causing it to fire. As I understand it takes a little practice to work it properly. If worked properly it therefore imitates a full auto firearm. My son made the grandson stop using it as the boys were shooting his ammo! It does waste a lot of ammo in a hurry, in my opinion with no purpose! To me it is a lot like just making a mag dump by pulling the trigger as fast as you can...

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Are all bump stocks illegal to possess or are they just illegal from this point on? A friend in Florida was asking if they need to turn the gun in or if they could change the stock. I would think that changing the stock would be sufficient, but I am not familiar with the executive order or the Florida law.

What are your thoughts on the issue? They just want to stay legal on the matter.

well they are still legal for police/military....so he could send it to a police officer (or state trooper) in the Evansville Indiana area

kings650

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I never wanted one until I heard it might get banned after the Las Vegas incident. I didn't get it yet but always wanted try it out of curiosity.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Fairly simple, I don't own (or want one), but one of my (married) grandson's does. The stock is spring loaded so that when you fire the gun the stock collapses causing your trigger finger (if held properly) to release the trigger allowing it to reset. Then the stock "springs" back to its full length and your finger actuates the trigger causing it to fire. As I understand it takes a little practice to work it properly. If worked properly it therefore imitates a full auto firearm. My son made the grandson stop using it as the boys were shooting his ammo! It does waste a lot of ammo in a hurry, in my opinion with no purpose! To me it is a lot like just making a mag dump by pulling the trigger as fast as you can...
    the only version of a bumpstock to be ‘spring loaded’ was the akins accelerator, the ATF deemed that one a machine gun due to the spring, they recalled all units or ordered the owners to remove the springs. Current generation bump stocks are nothing more than a stock that slides on the buffer tube; no springs involved, adding a spring creates a machinegun in the eyes of the BATFE.

As far as legality is concerned, until the comment period on the proposed rulemaking is over they are legal, even if you don’t own one, get on over to https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=ATF-2018-0002-0001 and leave a thoughtful, respectful comment and let the BATFE know they are wrong. This proposed rulemaking also will get rid of pull/release triggers and open the doors for non-legislated gun control.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    As far as legality is concerned, until the comment period on the proposed rulemaking is over they are legal, even if you don’t own one, get on over to https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=ATF-2018-0002-0001 and leave a thoughtful, respectful comment and let the BATFE know they are wrong. This proposed rulemaking also will get rid of pull/release triggers and open the doors for non-legislated gun control.

I think the question posed to the op was geared towards florida, the governor signed a law making the illegal in florida

jt1975

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Whiteland
    Can't say I want one or need one. Just a waste of ammo. If I want to play with a full auto will just rent one from a range that carrys them.
    Maybe one day I can afford a legal m16 lower :ar15:

Top Bottom