• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    ...recently fell in my lap. RML PARS 20" barrel. This thing is a gnarly beast. even the tacky gold trigger and polymer dragunov stock makes it look Egyptian/Russian hybrid thing lol. The front sight is cocked way left. I read some other forums...even saw a 4yr old post from Indykid on an AK forum (very cool). I need to clean this thing up a bit and figure out the front sight, get the barrel threaded, etc. First things first sometime this week i'll load up both mags i got with it and see how she runs. This should be fun.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    00K0K_9dAfxppcCCG_1200x900.jpg

00d0d_1XEQwmL0rXU_1200x900.jpg

00404_8ATMucMxI80_1200x900.jpg

00F0F_3ecuuBWsFTq_600x450.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Clay fixed the front sight on my Maadi (no gold trigger though) at an AK build party 2 or 3 years ago. And vitaminK changed out my trigger. I guess for me it wasn't so much an AK build party as it was a "stand back and let people that know what they're doing work on your rifle" party. :): :ingo:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Thanks for looking up an old post of mine. Nice find! The RML is second only to the ARM in Maadi desirability, and the long barrel version is fairly rare in itself.

That looks like a Choate stock set. It was very popular way back when people wanted a longer length stock than the originals. While that was most likely put on by a previous owner, there was one Norinco importer that used them instead of the standard bush-hole stock set that came on the MAK-90 rifles.

The muzzle looks narrower than the barrel, is that just photo angle or is it really .500 instead of the normal .550?

Also, take the rifle out and shoot it before moving the front sight. It is possible it is off that far. Check the rear sight to make sure it is straight as a bent one would cause the owner to move the front that far to take care of the rear being non-adjustable. I have a Romanian SAR-2 that if you look at the front sight base and rear sight block, everything is straight but the front sight has to be full right to shoot to point of aim.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Thanks for looking up an old post of mine. Nice find! The RML is second only to the ARM in Maadi desirability, and the long barrel version is fairly rare in itself.

That looks like a Choate stock set. It was very popular way back when people wanted a longer length stock than the originals. While that was most likely put on by a previous owner, there was one Norinco importer that used them instead of the standard bush-hole stock set that came on the MAK-90 rifles.

The muzzle looks narrower than the barrel, is that just photo angle or is it really .500 instead of the normal .550?

Also, take the rifle out and shoot it before moving the front sight. It is possible it is off that far. Check the rear sight to make sure it is straight as a bent one would cause the owner to move the front that far to take care of the rear being non-adjustable. I have a Romanian SAR-2 that if you look at the front sight base and rear sight block, everything is straight but the front sight has to be full right to shoot to point of aim.

The muzzle is narrower than the barrel. I can see where the threads were removed (faint lines of former threads). I'll have to measure to see precisely how much is left of the muzzle

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    .500" or so will allow you to thread it to the US standard 1/2x28RH. There are slant brakes made for that thread so you will be able to give it a more authentic look.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I took the brittle, old "white line" pachmayr recoil pad off. It was Super-glued and screwed into the stock lol.
    I'm thinking since I have so little into this that I would like to at least get the threads and brake and a wood stock set (fitment worries me a little but to me it doesn't have to be perfect) with maybe a plum pistol grip and green nylon sling. How hard will this be...and how much will it set me back?

Also, any idea what this symbol means?

00E0E_eCtDkyJ8n5g_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Dat gold trigger doh! lol

yeah that symbol is common on Egyptian AKs. I believe it's a factory mark. There is sometimes another stamp on the left side of the rear sight base that represents the pharaohs and kings of egypt. (Pharaohs hat sitting in kings throne)

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The Maadi uses a standard European AKM receiver, so any Euro stock set will fit. Prices can range from very reasonable to the "you gottabekiddingme" amount.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I've had someone offer me "a set of Romanian AK furniture. solid forend pieces with laminated stock. No pistol grip."
    He's sending me pics later. I don't know its value at all

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Romanian AKs have flooded the market, so their furniture usually is fairly reasonable. You might want to check Gunbroker for going prices.

Was going to suggest Apex Gunparts but just checked their site and most furniture pieces are marked "out of stock".

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I took the brittle, old "white line" pachmayr recoil pad off. It was Super-glued and screwed into the stock lol.
    I'm thinking since I have so little into this that I would like to at least get the threads and brake and a wood stock set (fitment worries me a little but to me it doesn't have to be perfect) with maybe a plum pistol grip and green nylon sling. How hard will this be...and how much will it set me back? 

Also, any idea what this symbol means?

00E0E_eCtDkyJ8n5g_1200x900.jpg
    Maybe it's a proof mark? The two symbols in the circle are '5' and '4'. I'm not entirely sure about the second one on the right, it's a little hard to read.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    That's basically what it is. These rifles were built in factory 54.... though factory 54 was the only one that made AKs in Egypt ;)

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I'm glad that ended up in the hands of a collector/interested party! I almost got it with the intention of cleaning it up and installing wood furniture but talked myself out of it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom