• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I want to get a 9mm carbine for home defense. I currently am using a 12ga single-shot, but I want something my wife can use comfortably. (ok me too, it hurts lol) I noticed a hi-point carbine on the shelf at a sporting goods store awhile back, and I've been looking at them. The only bad thing I can find is that the screws need loctite applied so they don't come loose and that the firing pin becomes bent with "extended use". Has anyone had experience with that? I've not seen one actual review of someone having a bent firing pin, and I can't find any reviews that define what "extended use" actually means. How many rounds, how much abuse? I want something that's going to last a long time. Money is a serious issue, but if this is a good reason to avoid it I'll just save my money and get a ruger pc carbine. Thanks in advance.

Also, it's been about four years since I posted here. I forgot that was my tagline. :):

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    I have one. Never been cleaned, I put the cheapest ammo I can find through it, and it's a tack driver up to 25 yards. Biggest drawback for me is the low capacity mag and the fact that if I want to add more rounds, the only option is a boomerang looking magazine out the bottom.

There are better options but nothing at this price point in my opinion that's as durable and dummy proof.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    “You get what what you pay for.” That said the HiPoints are a pretty good value. Personally I would save up for a Ruger PC carbine or ATI MilSport. The Ruger being cheaper, takedown and has sights from the factory. Being about to accept a Ruger and Glock magazines is a plus.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I have a Hi Point 995 as I am a BIG fan of pistol caliber carbines. I love to shoot it and it is a tack driver out to about 25 yards as ITF said. However, I would never trust the Hi Point as my HD gun. Mags can be finicky.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I've had a few different pcc's. My least favorite was keltec, the recoil was like shooting a jackhammer, not ergo, and horrible factory sights. I have a 45acp ar that has a macon armory upper, it is an awesome firearm, mucho pricey tho. I also just picked up a 9mm beretta cx4, ran a few mags this morning and I'm pretty happy with it, and the price is right on the used market right now. I have handled the hipoints, I can't say anything negative about their shooting reliable for the 100 or so rounds I saw go through it. If cost is your primary purchasing driver, then you will not beat the hipoint. If you can afford to come up another 250 there are a few good choices of pcc in the 500-600 dollar range.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Like others have said. HiPoint carbines are extremely reliable and cheap but somewhat low capacity. Look into a KelTec Sub2000. Cheap as well, reliable and accurate as well. Also can run 33 rounds mags, so that takes care of capacity

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I think this question gets posted bi-weekly. OP, if you search the forums you will probably find numerous comments on the Hi-Point 995. To answer the question, yes I have a Hi-Point Carbine in 9mm. It's great. No problems, cheap fun, I put a red-dot on it and it's very accurate. I have no complaints and would buy another if I needed 2. Kentucky Gun Co typically has the best price on them also with free shipping to your FFL and no sales tax.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I would recommend the Ruger PC Carbine...quality matters in home/personal defense...as does reliability!

On a side note, my wife didn't like the 12 GA I had (she had some rotator-cuff / shoulder issues from when playing VB in college) and I looked around and found that Remington (going back a few years) about every 3 years built a batch of their 870 Tactical shotguns...in 20 GA (identical to their 12 GA, including a factory-installed extended mag tube.)

I got her one of those...changed the butt-stock to a 'youth' model (shorter LOP) + added a tritium front sight + mounted a TacStart 4-round side saddle + added a nylon sling + added a neoprene 5-shell holder on the butt-stock.

She LOVES the dad-gum thing...the milder recoil doesn't bother her shoulder...it's stoked it with #3 shot...and she's smooooooooth with it!

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    You might also consider a 9mm pistol build.
    I put together a PSA 9mm pistol last year that didn'y break the bank, it can use 32 round mags, it's light-weight, accurate, has very little recoil, and seems to point nicely.
    I was actually surprised at just how accurate it is.

Just a thought.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    My pc carbine with trs25 red dot lands them all within a 9in paper plate. I would have no issues using as home defense.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    One thing you have to watch with the 9MM carbine and some self defense loads...

Most of the 9MM loads are designed to work with pistol length barrels. Using them in a carbine barrel will cause some funky stuff with the bullets fragmenting.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I would recommend the Ruger PC Carbine...quality matters in home/personal defense...as does reliability!

On a side note, my wife didn't like the 12 GA I had (she had some rotator-cuff / shoulder issues from when playing VB in college) and I looked around and found that Remington (going back a few years) about every 3 years built a batch of their 870 Tactical shotguns...in 20 GA (identical to their 12 GA, including a factory-installed extended mag tube.)

I got her one of those...changed the butt-stock to a 'youth' model (shorter LOP) + added a tritium front sight + mounted a TacStart 4-round side saddle + added a nylon sling + added a neoprene 5-shell holder on the butt-stock.

She LOVES the dad-gum thing...the milder recoil doesn't bother her shoulder...it's stoked it with #3 shot...and she's smooooooooth with it!

Nothing wrong with a 20 gauge! But I will point out that a 12 gauge with reduced recoil buckshot and a quality youth stock actually has less recoil. The advantage of the 20 are the guns are lighter and generally handle quicker. That is why smaller people might prefer a 20. But honestly a 12 gauge with a proper stock and not a bunch of crap hanging off of it is an equally good if not better choice.

The 9mm carbines are easy to handle and carry a lot of ammunition. You will get a velocity boost and 9mm out of a Carbine will poke holes or baddies with no problems. But they do have more recoil compared to .....

.... an AR in 5.56. Yep Low recoil. Lots O boolits. But noisy and could cost a little more. Inexpensive ARs are still out there though.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    My experience w/ highpoint carbines is limited, but I wouldn't touch one w/ a 10 foot pole. My FIL has a .45. After I loosened the FS and twisted the top end around so it looked completely out of alignment, it finally was able to zero. after a couple mags a couple of screws backed out. jammed every couple of mags. no thanks.

PCCs can be finicky. But there are good ones out there. Make sure to test the ammo you intend to use.

If budget's a concern, a pistol like a used Ruger P95 or LC9 or something similar will work very very well for $300 or under. I'd trust that a lot more than any highpoint.

You will get a velocity boost and 9mm out of a Carbine

sometimes. sometimes the opposite. Lots of variables in the loads, barrels, etc. The 147gr load I use in my G35 drops around 8PF (920fps compared to 870fps) when used in my 12.5" 9mm AR.

-rvb

snowdrifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Next to Atterbury
    I've been pleased with my Sub2K; compact, quick folding, lightweight, and can share mags if you're already invested in a Glock/M&P/etc. handgun. Ergonomics and factory sights are both perfectly usable, and it readily accepts a red dot if you want to go that route. Recoil is also tame, unless compared to a .22LR.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My experience w/ highpoint carbines is limited, but I wouldn't touch one w/ a 10 foot pole. My FIL has a .45. After I loosened the FS and twisted the top end around so it looked completely out of alignment, it finally was able to zero. after a couple mags a couple of screws backed out. jammed every couple of mags. no thanks.

PCCs can be finicky. But there are good ones out there. Make sure to test the ammo you intend to use.

If budget's a concern, a pistol like a used Ruger P95 or LC9 or something similar will work very very well for $300 or under. I'd trust that a lot more than any highpoint.

sometimes. sometimes the opposite. Lots of variables in the loads, barrels, etc. The 147gr load I use in my G35 drops around 8PF (920fps compared to 870fps) when used in my 12.5" 9mm AR.

-rvb

True! I would expect heavy bullet with fast powder to drop in velocity in a longer barrel. But factory 124 grain bullets out of my 16” ATI hit stuff with authority. I have not run anything across a chrono because the gun is just a plinker but let’s say we pick up a little velocity. 125 grain .357 magnum hollow points are well regarded as man stoppers and I would expect similar weight and velocity from a 9mm Carbine . I will admit that I am just guessing and a chronograph would tell the truth. But I am seriously impressed with pistol caliber carbines. The hog my dad shot with a 16” .44 magnum is dead as the result of a big hole through it and steel plates ring,ding and fall real quick.

Last edited:

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Like others have said, can't be beat for the price. It's good, not great carbine. Will serve the purpose. Ignore any snobberry. They are a blast.
    If further research is needed, like others have said, there are several other threads. (Maybe even o e by me?)

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I've been pleased with my Sub2K; compact, quick folding, lightweight, and can share mags if you're already invested in a Glock/M&P/etc. handgun. Ergonomics and factory sights are both perfectly usable, and it readily accepts a red dot if you want to go that route. Recoil is also tame, unless compared to a .22LR.

I wonder if mine was a lemon. It had multiple ftf's and left bruises on everyone who shot it. I still think the ergonomics and factory iron's are terrible, I was able to over look that because of how easy it could break down for a camp rifle. I got rid of it because of the the ftf's and the shotgun like recoil, maybe those were problems that could have been solved sending it back to keltec tho? It was a glock17 gen 2 that I bought new in summer of 17.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I think this question gets posted bi-weekly. OP, if you search the forums you will probably find numerous comments on the Hi-Point 995. To answer the question, yes I have a Hi-Point Carbine in 9mm. It's great. No problems, cheap fun, I put a red-dot on it and it's very accurate. I have no complaints and would buy another if I needed 2. Kentucky Gun Co typically has the best price on them also with free shipping to your FFL and no sales tax.

Actually I searched and couldn't find anything specifically about the firing pin bending, which was actually one of the main reasons I was asking. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Top Bottom