oEKLMum.jpg

20MM

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    I built an AR in 458 socom and a bolt action in 458 socom. I took a bear with the bolt action. The AR is a great deer gun. I absolutely love the round. I would also only suggest going this route if you plan to reload. It’s very pricy to buy factory 458 socom and can be hard to find at times.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    FVeT6nR.jpg

It's hard to do much better than a 45-70 once you're loading your own ammo.

I mean you can, but there's nothing on earth that requires something more powerful at that point. Garrett hammer heads will work on elephant.

Colt1860

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2017
    Tell City
    Alittle more info is needed before good advise can be given. Are to open to anytime of action(lever, bolt, auto) or limited to an AR platform as suggested by your choice of 458 socom and 50 beowulf. What do you expect the rifle to do? Just kill the largest mammals in North America or be light weight?, low recoil?. flat shooting? what ranges?

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    Delta Team Tactical has a 458 SOCOM barrel on sale for $104. I purchased one last month for $125. I also purchased a 458 bolt carrier group from Brownells for $93. I used a Aero Precision 458 SOCOM upper.

The barrel appears to be of good quality, but I have not fired it. The barrel is threaded for 5/8X32 so the muzzle devices are a little more difficult to find. I found a brake but as I understand the pressure is too low to have much effect on the recoil. If I built a 458 SOCOM again I would just use a muzzle protector.

https://www.deltateamtactical.com/X...ocom-Engraved-Barrel-Cryo-Treated_p_6946.html

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/bolt-carrier-groups/m16-458-socom-bolt-carrier-group-nitride-mp-prod105383.aspx

https://aeroprecisionusa.com/458-socom-assembled-upper-receiver.html

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I’m looking at building a big bore rifle for my trip to Alaska. But I don’t know what caliber would be best.

450socom or a 50beowolf?

If you want to shoot a 458 SOCOM in either a AR platform or bolt action, let me know. I had a Savage short action re-barrelled to a .458 SOCOM. The 458 with either a 300 gr. JHP or 325 gr. FTX does a number on deer. Reloading is a must for the .458.

BluedSteel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2018
    Huntingburg
    If you're only considering those two calibers go .458 - unless the patents have expired the 50 Beowulf is a proprietary cartridge, which means everything about it including chamber dimensions is patented, privately owned and thus expensive [anybody wanting to use it must pay royalties on ammo, barrels, reamers, you get it]. But the .458 SOCCOM is a SAAMI standard cartridge with loaded ammo and components widely available. And it's just as easy to build your own AR in that caliber as any other. Or keep a spare upper in a Brown Bear caliber. [You'll also need a bolt, buffer and spring]

If you don't have your heart set on an AR then consider a lever action in either .45-70 or, if you're going to reload; the even better but much rarer .450 Marlin. The 450 was designed from the ground up by Marlin and Hornady to be a "Magnum .45-70" [check your Hornady manuals]. To get better performance from a .45 caliber rifle you have to step up to a .458 Winchester magnum. 450's come up regularly on Gun Broker, try to get one with the JM manufacturer's code [Marlin's USA plant designation]. Good luck.

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    I have the .450 Bushmaster. Ammo is a little cheaper that the 458 or the .50. Only shot deer with it. If you look on YouTube you can see some bigger and meaner critters beeing taken with one.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    If you're only considering those two calibers go .458 - unless the patents have expired the 50 Beowulf is a proprietary cartridge, which means everything about it including chamber dimensions is patented, privately owned and thus expensive [anybody wanting to use it must pay royalties on ammo, barrels, reamers, you get it]. But the .458 SOCCOM is a SAAMI standard cartridge with loaded ammo and components widely available. And it's just as easy to build your own AR in that caliber as any other. Or keep a spare upper in a Brown Bear caliber. [You'll also need a bolt, buffer and spring]

If you don't have your heart set on an AR then consider a lever action in either .45-70 or, if you're going to reload; the even better but much rarer .450 Marlin. The 450 was designed from the ground up by Marlin and Hornady to be a "Magnum .45-70" [check your Hornady manuals]. To get better performance from a .45 caliber rifle you have to step up to a .458 Winchester magnum. 450's come up regularly on Gun Broker, try to get one with the JM manufacturer's code [Marlin's USA plant designation]. Good luck.

Is the .458SOCOM actually a SAAMI cartridge? Got a link that say s that? I’m a huge .458 SOCOM user and fan, but I was under the understanding that it still has not gained SAAMI approval. It would be great if it has.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    If you reload I honestly don't see how you can beat a lever action in 45/70. I'm no Alaska expert but enough guides use 45/70 lever action rifles that in of itself is a testament to the rounds potency, a solid ultra reliable 12 gauge pump loaded with potent slugs is also a viable choice. There are some utterly devastating 12 gauge slugs on the market that would put a hurtin on a bear for sure.
    IIRC Brenneke slugs come to mind as suitable for bears.

Have a look at these 12ga slugs:
    Balle Flèche Sauvestre for shotgun and rifle

I can 2nd the suggestion of a JM stamped Marlin in 45/70 or 450 Marlin as I own 3 JM stamped 336c's in 35 Remington. Not only are they absolutely beautiful well made rifles, but they are tack drivers.

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I just got back from AK. I had though long and hard about taking my 458 SOCOM but decided to take both a 3" 44 Mag pistol & my 12 Gauge Shockwave. The pistol was loaded with HSM 305 grain hard cast. The Shockwave was filled with five 3" Brenmeke Black Magic Magnum slugs. Carrying both was too much. I'll leave the shotty at home next time & also carry a 9mm for two legged attackers.

Not sure what's best for you. We don't know what you're doing. I was just hiking. Mostly maintained trails, a few un-maintained. Several people from AK said even big bears can run 30-40 mph. If charged you might get 1 to 3 shots off. If you don't hit the bear in the brain then it could take 30 seconds to drop. Get ready to be mauled if you don't keep your head on a swivel.

Top Bottom