• ...and so much more!
  • Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    I picked up an DPMS Oracle 308 and I really enjoy shooting it. I was surprised how nice the trigger was. I have not had any problems with it and have shot 275 rounds through it without a hiccup. I have a 4x vortex sight on the gun and it is almost boring hitting 4" steel at 100+ yards. I enjoy the larger caliber rifles and this my only semi, but it is a hoot to shoot. I highly recommend picking up an AR10 of some sort, and for a good value this is a good start.

If you would have any specific questions I would be more than happy to reply.

ron

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The DPMS GII .308 is much more than a beginner gun. It is a powerful, reliable, accurate rifle that will do everything one could ask of it... At a reasonable price. With a warranty.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Good thread. I've wanted one for years but never followed through.

I've also read and heard a lot of good things about the DPMS Gen2's.

What about PSA?Does anyone on here actually have one? Their prices are just too low to ignore.

csprig9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    So the DPMS is probably my best bet.

what about the newer stag ar 10. Anyone have any experience with it.

what kind of distance can I expect from the DPMS, obviously I would need a good scope but is it a gun I’d buy and just upgrade or is it good straight out of the box

csprig9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    One more thing, I know it’s not a bolt gun but what barrel length would I want. Seems like 16” and 18” seem to be the most common which is weird for me when it comes to 308

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Good thread. I've wanted one for years but never followed through.

I've also read and heard a lot of good things about the DPMS Gen2's.

What about PSA?Does anyone on here actually have one? Their prices are just too low to ignore.

I have a PSA and it's been great. And you're right about their prices. They've come down a lot in the past year or two.

bonzaiberger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Milan
    I have what started out as a dpms oracle. I have since ceracoated it, added a magpul prs stock, quadrail forearm, and giessele trigger. Recently I have added a kak industries 30wsm upper to the package, you know, for options.
    But all in all I really enjoy it, the 308 barrel doesn't like 150grain bullets so I run 165 and up. The 300wsm I am still testing, but so far I really like it! received_10156272581999605.jpg

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    One more thing, I know it’s not a bolt gun but what barrel length would I want. Seems like 16” and 18” seem to be the most common which is weird for me when it comes to 308

The 16" barreled 308 are a bit louder and flasher than the longer barrels. I have an Armalite ban era retro AR-10 with the pinned muzzle brake. I was offered a 16" carbine ban era upper for my retro upper. The muzzle blast from the 20" barrel was bad but it was painful from the 16" carbine. I did not trade uppers.

The PSA PA-10s are great rifles for the price. The PA-10s do have a few propitiatory parts, it is best to buy the complete lowers or lower parts kits. I have a Gen 1 and Gen 2 and the only problem was with the Gen 1 was there was not enough clearance for the charging handle with a Aero Precision upper. Aero Precision uppers will fit on the Gen 2.

Aero Precision also manufactures very good 308 rifles and parts. I have an Aero Precision rifle that I just converted to 6.5 Creedmoor.

As for the barrel length the 18" barrels work fine for me.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    The 16" barreled 308 are a bit louder and flasher than the longer barrels. I have an Armalite ban era retro AR-10 with the pinned muzzle brake. I was offered a 16" carbine ban era upper for my retro upper. The muzzle blast from the 20" barrel was bad but it was painful from the 16" carbine. I did not trade uppers.

The PSA PA-10s are great rifles for the price. The PA-10s do have a few propitiatory parts, it is best to buy the complete lowers or lower parts kits. I have a Gen 1 and Gen 2 and the only problem was with the Gen 1 was there was not enough clearance for the charging handle with a Aero Precision upper. Aero Precision uppers will fit on the Gen 2.

Aero Precision also manufactures very good 308 rifles and parts. I have an Aero Precision rifle that I just converted to 6.5 Creedmoor.

As for the barrel length the 18" barrels work fine for me.
    What he said about the PSA. I have one and love it but some of the Gen 2 stuff wont work with the Gen 1 stuff and that's according to PSA's website. I bought a Gen 2 upper and a Gen 2 lower for just over $400 (they were the deal of the day). The Gen 2 upper and lower went right together and have not had any issues with it.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I have a SW M&P 10 that shoots sub-moa with Hornady Match ammo. Bought it used from a top tier INGO member.

I can't speak to the newly release M&P 10 Sport model but the "regular" M&P 10 is a winner for me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

My AR-10 is piece built with an 18" barrel. It does everything I expect of it out to as far as I have had available distance to shoot it.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I own both the DPMS (Gen I) and a PSA PA-10.
    The DPMS is probably a better quality gun, but there's nothing wrong with the PSA.
    Both do what they were designed to do.
    Both are as accurate as I could expect with my skills.
    The PA-10 will be less expensive to be sure, especially if you build it yourself.

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    I'm going to through the Aero M5 into the mix. I have one I built using aero parts and a friend has a complete aero gun. We are both happy with them.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Glad to know the PSA owners are happy. I saw them a couple of months ago for $434 total with shipping. Lower and upper bought separately. I keep watching for that price again.

Wait if you'd like, but I wouldn't wait too long.
    It will only take one more incident with an AR platform, by some idiot and the liberals will be screaming their lungs out for another assault weapons ban.
    With the current mood of the country, and with the help of the media, another ban proposal could drive prices up again.

Under $500 for a .308 AR platform is a stupid low price.
    I wouldn't be surprised if we never see those prices again.

Then again, I did NOT stay at a Holiday INN Express last night, so what the hell do I know?

Top Bottom